Canada Digital TV News
Roku TV no. 1 Smart TV OS in the U.S. and Canada
Jan 8, 2021 – Roku (Nasdaq: ROKU) has announced that Roku OS was the No. 1 smart TV OS sold in the U.S. and Canada. Roku TV had 38% market share in the US and 31% in Canada, based on data from January 5 to December 26, 2020.
News categories: Roku, Mustafa Ozgen, Canada, CES2021, Digital TV, Market Research, Middleware, OTT, Smart TV, USA
Samsung TV Plus expands to 12 countries with over 740 channels
Dec 21, 2020 – Samsung has announced that Samsung TV Plus has now expanded to 12 countries and 742 channels worldwide, bringing access to over 60 million Samsung Smart TVs. Recent new countries include Australia and Brazil.
News categories: Samsung, Seline Sangsook Han, Apps, Australia, Austria, Brazil, Canada, Digital TV, France, Germany, Italy, Korea, OTT, Smart TV, Spain, Switzerland, UK, USA
Velocix CDN powers multiscreen services at TELUS
Dec 21, 2020 – Velocix has announced that TELUS is using its CDN software to support its IP-based live and on-demand video services, including Optik TV, Pik TV, and Optik on the Go, as well as its video gaming and data services.
News categories: Velocix, TELUS, David Sharpley, Tom Linder, Canada, Content Distribution, Digital TV, IPTV, OTT
Roku OS 9.4 brings support for Apple AirPlay 2 and HomeKit
Nov 11, 2020 – Roku (NASDAQ: ROKU) has announced that, with the release of Roku OS 9.4, Apple AirPlay 2 and HomeKit support is now available on select 4K Roku devices, including the Roku Ultra, Roku Streambar, Roku Smart Soundbar, Roku Streaming Stick+, and Roku Premiere.
News categories: Roku, Ilya Asnis, Canada, Digital TV, Mexico, Middleware, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart Home, UK, USA
EBOX deploys Technicolor Android TV set-tops in Québec
Oct 29, 2020 – Technicolor has partnered with EBOX to deploy its SAPPHIRE Android TV set-top box (STB) to EBOX OTT subscribers in Quebec. The SAPPHIRE STB provides 4K Ultra HD 2160p/60 and HDR OTT TV services in a small and customizable design.
News categories: Technicolor, EBOX, Eric Rutter, Jean-Philippe Béïque, Android TV, Canada, Digital TV, OTT, Set Top Box
Amazon announces new Fire TV devices and redesigned UX
Sep 24, 2020 – Amazon (NASDAQ:AMZN) has announced a next-generation Fire TV Stick, an all-new Fire TV Stick Lite, and a reimagined Fire TV experience that is more personal and customized.
News categories: Amazon, Marc Whitten, Asia, Canada, Digital TV, Europe, Latin America, OTT, Set Top Box, USA, UX
Clearcable adds Minerva Networks IPTV platform to offering
Sep 23, 2020 – Clearcable is expanding its Video Services business with the addition of the Minerva Networks IPTV platform. Clearcable powers operators in Canada with their data center and content distribution network offerings.
News categories: Minerva Networks, Clearcable, Randy Osborne, Paul Osmond, Canada, Content Distribution, Digital TV, IPTV
Apple TV app launches on VIZIO SmartCast TVs
Sep 8, 2020 – VIZIO has announced that customers in the US and Canada can now access the Apple TV app on SmartCast TVs. Eligible VIZIO SmartCast customers in the US can sign up for Apple TV+ and receive three months free.
News categories: VIZIO, Apple TV, Mike O'Donnell, Apps, Canada, Digital TV, OTT, Smart TV, USA
Cogeco rejects takeover proposal from Altice USA and Rogers
Sep 3, 2020 – Cogeco (TSX: CGO) and Cogeco Communications (TSX: CCA) have announced that the independent members of their boards have rejected the unsolicited, non-binding takeover proposal from Altice USA and Rogers Communications.
News categories: Cogeco, Altice USA, Rogers, Cable TV, Canada, Digital TV, MandA, USA
- MENA pay TV revenues continue to fall
- FCA first automotive OEM with Alexa Custom Assistant
- Firstlight Media and NPAW optimise CDN switching for OTT providers
- ViacomCBS, DISH Media, Adcuratio enable broadcast inventory on MVPD STBs
- DoubleVerify earns MRC accreditation for CTV measurement
- Philco launches Roku TV lineup in Brazil
- Chips&Media introduces WAVE6 series of video codec IPs
- Worldwide semiconductor revenue up 7.3% in 2020
- Kantar expands TV audience measurement panel in Georgia
- TDS introduces live, streaming TV product
- LG announces 2021 NEXTGEN TVs
- GTPL Hathway digital CATV subscribers unchanged YoY at 7.35 million
- Nordic consumers’ media spend unaffected by the pandemic
- Amazon launches mobile-only video plan in India
- VUALTO event orchestration and DRM chosen for ITV Hub VOD delivery
- Nielsen now tracking premium theatrical films on VOD platforms
- rlaxx TV now available on Amazon Fire TV and Android TV
- SK Broadband selects NAGRA forensic watermarking for IPTV STBs
- MovieLabs updates Enhanced Content Protection specification
- 24i integrates Float Left Roku framework with its app platform