Canada Digital TV News
Amino makes Android TV Operator Tier progress in North America
Mar 18, 2021 – Amino has announced that AW Broadband, Conway, Hay Communications and Home Telecom are among the 14 operators that have begun using Amino to launch services on the Android TV Operator Tier (ATOT) since January 2020.
News categories: Amino, Hay Communications, Conway, Home Telecom, AW Broadband, Donald McGarva, Kevin Gingerich, Jason Hansen, Caoimhe Zett, Matthew Carpenter, Android TV, Cable TV, Canada, Digital TV, IPTV, Set Top Box, USA
Rogers to acquire Shaw in $26 billion transaction
Mar 15, 2021 – Rogers Communications and Shaw Communications have reached an agreement for Rogers to acquire all of Shaw’s issued and outstanding Class A and Class B shares in a transaction valued at around $26 billion.
News categories: Rogers Communications, Shaw Communications, Joe Natale, Edward Rogers, Brad Shaw, Cable TV, Canada, Digital TV, MandA, Satellite
North American OTT TV revenues to double
Mar 1, 2021 – According to Digital TV Research, North American OTT TV revenues will reach $94 billion in 2026; nearly twice as much as in 2020. The US will increase by $42 billion to $88 billion. Canada will double to $5.4 billion.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Canada, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, USA
North American pay TV subscriber losses to slow
Feb 23, 2021 – The number of pay TV subscribers in Canada and the U.S. will fall by 43 million from 116 million in 2010 to 74 million in 2026, according to Digital TV Research. Declines are expected to be lower from 2021.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Cable TV, Canada, Digital TV, IPTV, Satellite, Subscribers, USA
Rogers adds 71,000 Ignite TV subscribers in 4Q 2020
Jan 28, 2021 – Rogers Communications (TSX:RCI.A; RCI.B)(NYSE: RCI) has announced results for the fourth quarter ended December 31, 2020. In the quarter the company added 71,000 net new Ignite TV subscribers, to finish 2020 with 544,000.
News categories: Rogers, Cable TV, Canada, Digital TV, Results, Subscribers
Paramount+ from ViacomCBS to launch on March 4th
Jan 19, 2021 – ViacomCBS (NASDAQ: VIAC, VIACA) has announced launch dates for Paramount+. The rollout starts on March 4, 2021 in the U.S. and Latin America. CBS All Access in Canada will be rebranded to Paramount+ on the same date.
News categories: ViacomCBS, Australia, Canada, Denmark, Digital TV, Finland, Latin America, Norway, OTT, Sweden, USA
Cogeco EPICO IPTV service launched
Jan 18, 2021 – Cogeco Connexion (TSX: CCA) has announced the launch of EPICO, an IPTV entertainment experience combining the Internet and television. EPICO is built on the Google Android TV ecosystem.
News categories: Cogeco, Frédéric Perron, Android TV, Canada, Digital TV, IPTV, Set Top Box
Enghouse and Access Communications offer hosted TV services in Canada
Jan 18, 2021 – Enghouse Networks has announced that it is partnering with Access Communications Co-operative of Regina, Saskatchewan to provide a fully hosted, next generation TV service for Canadian service providers.
News categories: Enghouse, Access Communications, Sunil Diaz, Jeffrey De Sarno, Canada, Digital TV, IPTV
Roku TV no. 1 Smart TV OS in the U.S. and Canada
Jan 8, 2021 – Roku (Nasdaq: ROKU) has announced that Roku OS was the No. 1 smart TV OS sold in the U.S. and Canada. Roku TV had 38% market share in the US and 31% in Canada, based on data from January 5 to December 26, 2020.
News categories: Roku, Mustafa Ozgen, Canada, CES, Digital TV, Market Research, Middleware, OTT, Smart TV, USA
- LTN Global launches universal signaling for linear addressable TV advertising
- Worldwide semiconductor revenue grew 10.4% in 2020
- Freeview Australia launches integrated HbbTV platform
- ACCESS licenses Ligada iSuite for NetFront Browser BE HbbTV testing
- PubMatic to integrate Samba TV data for CTV audience targeting
- Chinese suppliers take top three positions in TV panel shipments
- 2021 shaping up to be year of programmatic TV advertising in Europe
- WarnerMedia RIDE app now available for U.S. Toyota and Lexus owners
- discovery+ launches on Xfinity Flex and soon on X1
- CommScope to spin-off Home Networks business
- Disney+ rollout in Southern Asia going strong
- Western Europe pay TV subscribers to fall by 4 million
- Spain gives international travel authorisation for MWC21
- $18 million of Series B funding for IRIS.TV
- 8K TV households to reach 72 million worldwide by 2025
- Finecast extends TV reach with new UK ad inventory partners
- Delta Fiber selects Agama video monitoring and analytics
- CTA and NCTA extend STB energy efficiency agreement to 2025
- Altice USA completes acquisition of Morris Broadband
- MediaTek and Samsung introduce Wi-Fi 6E enabled 8K TV