Satellite Television (DBS, DTH, DSat, DVB-S, DVB-S2) News
Comcast cable video subscribers down 2.034 million in 2022
Jan 26, 2023 – Comcast (NASDAQ: CMCSA) has reported results for the quarter and year ended December 31, 2022. In the quarter, Cable video customer net losses were 440,000, whereas at Sky total customer relationships grew by 129,000.
News categories: Comcast, Cable TV, Digital TV, Europe, Results, Satellite, Streaming, Subscribers, USA
MENA pay TV subscriptions to grow by 2 million over next 6 years
Jan 23, 2023 – According to Digital TV Research, the number of pay TV subscribers in the MENA region will increase from 17.32 million in 2022 to 19.20 million in 2028, with legitimate pay TV penetration remaining at only 19%.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Middle-East, Satellite, Terrestrial
Eutelsat decommissions EUTELSAT 5 West A
Jan 19, 2023 – Initially designed for a 15-year lifetime, EUTELSAT 5 West A satellite has retired after 20+ years of operation. Transfer of services to EUTELSAT 5 West B and other Eutelsat satellites, was begun in January 2020.
News categories: Eutelsat, Eva Berneke, James Matthews, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Europe, France, Satellite
DISH Network loses 957,000 net pay TV subscribers in 2022
Jan 17, 2023 – As part of a debt offering announcement, DISH Network has released preliminary estimated operating metrics for year-end 2022. The company finished 2022 with 9.75 million Pay-TV subscribers, down 957,000 year-on-year.
News categories: DISH Network, Digital TV, Results, Satellite, Streaming, Subscribers, USA
France Médias Monde renews Arabsat satellite distribution deal
Jan 16, 2023 – Arabsat and FMM group have renewed their satellite distribution contract for broadcasting France 24 TV SD TV channels and Radios (RFI Radio and MC Doualiya) on Arabsat Badr-4, covering the MENA region.
News categories: Arabsat, France Médias Monde, Alhamedi M. Alanezi, Serge Schick, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Middle-East, Satellite
Hellas Sat supports Orange Romania DTH consolidation
Jan 16, 2023 – Hellas Sat and Orange Romania have signed an agreement to support the completion of the DTH merger of the Orange Romania and Orange Romania Communications (formerly Telekom Romania Communications) TV package and offers.
News categories: Hellas Sat, Orange Romania, Christodoulos Protopapas, Digital TV, Romania, Satellite
discovery+ now available at no extra charge to Sky TV subscribers
Jan 16, 2023 – Sky Q, Sky Glass and Sky Stream customers can now sign up for discovery+ as part of their monthly Sky TV subscription. The discovery+ app is easy to find via the Apps rail on Sky Glass, Sky Stream and Sky Q.
News categories: Sky, Warner Bros. Discovery, Elizabeth Wynn, Antonio Ruiz, Digital TV, Satellite, Set Top Box, Streaming, UK
Creonic optimizes DVB-GSE encapsulator and decapsulator IP cores
Jan 12, 2023 – Creonic has announced performance optimized versions of its DVB-GSE encapsulator and decapsulator IP cores. They close the gap between network protocols like Ethernet and the physical layer of DVB-Standards.
News categories: Creonic, Matthias Alles, Content Distribution, Digital TV, DVB-S2, Silicon IP, Worldwide
New BIS standard for TV receivers requires built in satellite tuner
Jan 9, 2023 – The Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) has published a standard for TV receivers, enabling satellite TV reception without the need for a set-top box. Doordarshan is in the process of phasing out analog transmission, but will continue to broadcast on satellite.
News categories: Bureau of Indian Standards, Digital TV, India, Regulation, Satellite, Smart TV
- J:COM deploys Qwilt Open Caching solution
- Breezeline Stream TV comes to Cleveland and Columbus, Ohio
- Sale of Millicom to Apollo Global Management and Claure Group in discussion
- Comcast cable video subscribers down 2.034 million in 2022
- Disney strikes streaming measurement deal with EDO
- ITV increases investment in InfoSum
- German study shows high losses from TV piracy
- European Audiovisual Observatory publishes report on media ownership in Europe
- NBA games to be available in VR through Meta Horizon Worlds
- Simply.TV signs metadata deal with YouSee
- Verizon FIOS consumer video subscribers down 80,000 in 4Q 2022
- Unified TV ad measurement to be launched in Finland
- KPN introduces KPN TV+ streaming service
- ENENSYS releases ATSC 3.0 modulator for digital TV transmitters
- iWedia report reveals drivers behind set-top box OS selection
- Fabric acquires Internet Video Archive (IVA)
- MENA pay TV subscriptions to grow by 2 million over next 6 years
- Prime Video and DAZN sign global distribution partnership
- CIMM, 4A's and TVB looking at action plan for U.S. local TV measurement
- U.S. TV viewing remained high in December