Satellite Television (DBS, DTH, DSat, DVB-S, DVB-S2) News
Prime Video now available to Movistar+ customers
Nov 18, 2021 – Movistar+ and Amazon have consolidated their partnership to include Prime Video in the user experience of the Movistar+ platform. The new proposition is being rolled out in Spain in a progressive deployment to be completed on November 24th.
News categories: Movistar, Prime Video, Cristina Burzako, Barry Furlong, Apps, Digital TV, IPTV, Satellite, Set Top Box, Spain
Major U.S. pay TV providers lost around 650,000 subscribers in 3Q 2021
Nov 18, 2021 – Leichtman Research Group (LRG) has found that the largest pay-TV providers in the U.S. – representing about 93% of the market – lost about 650,000 net video subscribers in 3Q 2021, compared to a pro forma net loss of about 90,000 in 3Q 2020.
News categories: Leichtman Research, Bruce Leichtman, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Satellite, Streaming, Subscribers, USA
SES orders two Ku-band satellites for 19.2° East
Nov 22, 2021 – SES has ordered two geostationary (GEO) Ku-band satellites for its prime orbital slot at 19.2 degrees East to maintain the premium services it provides to its European video customers and to capture new opportunities in the region.
News categories: SES S.A, Thales, Steve Collar, Hervé Derrey, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Europe, Satellite
Deutsche Telekom TV subscribers up 33,000 in Germany in 3Q 2021
Nov 12, 2021 – Deutsche Telekom has released results for the third quarter of 2021. In Germany, 33,000 new TV customers were recorded in the quarter, taking the total number to 3.966 million, an increase of 4.7 percent compared with September 2020.
News categories: Deutsche Telekom, Cable TV, Digital TV, Europe, Germany, IPTV, Results, Satellite, Subscribers
Sky New Zealand announces Android TV STB development partners
Nov 17, 2021 – Sky New Zealand has announced partners for the development of its new Android TV-based Sky Box, due for deployment by the middle of 2022. Sky has selected Wyplay, Irdeto and Kaonmedia to provide components of the box's software and hardware.
News categories: Sky New Zealand, Wyplay, Kaonmedia, Irdeto, Sophie Moloney, Jacques Bourgninaud, John Chung Yoon, Shane McCarthy, Android TV, Content Protection, Digital TV, New Zealand, Satellite, Set Top Box
Sky New Zealand selects Irdeto as security partner
Nov 18, 2021 – Irdeto has been selected by Sky New Zealand to become the security partner for its next generation Android set-top box, Sky Box. Irdeto’s Cloaked CA is the core security technology that will protect Sky’s content.
News categories: Irdeto, Sky New Zealand, Doug Lowther, Sophie Moloney, Android TV, Conditional Access, Digital TV, New Zealand, Satellite, Set Top Box
Grupo Werthein takes ownership of Vrio
Nov 15, 2021 – With the completion of acquisition closing procedures, Grupo Werthein has taken ownership of 100% of the equity of Vrio. Vrio offers live content and OnDemand services through DIRECTV Latin America, SKY Brazil and DIRECTV GO.
News categories: Grupo Werthein, Vrio, Caribbean, Digital TV, Latin America, MandA, Satellite, Streaming
Peacock European rollout begins on Sky in the UK and Ireland
Nov 15, 2021 – Sky and NBCUniversal have announced plans to roll out Peacock content across Sky territories, beginning with a soft launch in the UK and Ireland. Starting on 16th November, Sky TV customers and NOW Entertainment Members in these markets will gain access to a new Peacock destination.
News categories: NBCUniversal, Sky, Lee Raftery, Zai Bennett, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Ireland, Satellite, UK
Multichoice reports results to end 3Q 2021
Nov 11, 2021 – MultiChoice has reported results for the period ended 30 September 2021 (1H FY22). The group increased its 90-day active subscriber base by 1m to reach 21.1m, split between 12.2m households in the Rest of Africa (RoA) and 8.9m in South Africa.
News categories: Multichoice, Africa, Content Protection, Digital TV, Results, Satellite, South Africa, Streaming, Subscribers
- Kineton and SmarDTV demonstrate OpApp & CAM at 9th HbbTV Symposium
- Irdeto launches CAM-based HbbTV OpApp solution
- South African government provides update on analogue switch-off
- Nielsen to enhance TV measurement with individual commercial metrics
- DVB releases first 8K UHD video delivery specifications
- TV shipments expected to undergo 12.4% YoY decline in 2H 2021
- Megacable selects STB management solution from Axiros
- Orange Belgium in negotiations with Nethys to acquire 75% of VOO SA
- One million Android TV Operator Tier deployments for Mirada
- MediaTek 8K TV SoC first in 7-nanometer at TSMC
- In-person IBC 2021 cancelled
- CommScope selected to provide Foxtel's iQ5 streaming STB
- Vestel migrates Smart TVs to EPG metadata from Simply.TV
- Prime Video now available to Movistar+ customers
- Crackle Plus improves content discoverability with Gracenote
- MediaTek launches Pentonic smart TV family with 8K 120Hz IC
- Major U.S. pay TV providers lost around 650,000 subscribers in 3Q 2021
- 24i powers launch of Cinessance in North America
- Broadpeak cancels in-person participation at IBC
- M3 selects XroadMedia for personalized OTT service in Russia