VR (Virtual Reality) and Immersive Video News
AR expected to one day replace smartphones
Sep 6, 2021 – AR is expected to one day replace smartphones, according to GlobalData. The company notes that within the next ten years, AR will be a $152bn industry – a 22-fold growth. AR will be one of the most disruptive technologies of our time.
News categories: GlobalData, Rupantar Guha, Market Research, VR, Worldwide
U.S. tech revenue to hit $487 billion in 2021
Jul 15, 2021 – According to the CTA, subscription video streaming services will see continued growth in demand in 2021. TV shipments will reach 45 million units, with NEXTGEN TV shipments up nearly sixfold to 2.1 million units.
News categories: CTA, Gary Shapiro, Digital TV, Gaming, Market Research, Smart Home, Smart TV, Smartphone, Streaming, USA, VR
Entertainment & media rebounding strongly from pandemic slump
Jul 12, 2021 – According to PwC, the entertainment & media industry has regained its momentum. The industry is on track to grow 6.5% in 2021 and 6.7% in 2022, fueled by strong demand for digital content and advertising.
News categories: PwC, Werner Ballhaus, Advertising, Digital TV, Gaming, Market Research, Streaming, VR, Worldwide
Facebook leads VR headset market in Q1 2021
Jun 30, 2021 – Global shipments of VR headsets grew 52.4% year over year in the first quarter of 2021, according to IDC. The growing popularity of gaming, as well as fitness, has helped spread consumer awareness of VR.
News categories: IDC, Jitesh Ubrani, Tom Mainelli, Market Research, VR, Worldwide
5G mobile, smartphone accessory, and VR HMD shipments to grow rapidly in 2021
Jun 3, 2021 – According to ABI Research, most consumer devices and services, especially 5G smartphones, accessories, and VR Head-Mounted Displays (HMDs), will remain healthy in terms of shipments in 2021.
News categories: ABI Research, Eleftheria Kouri, 5G, Market Research, Smartphone, VR, Worldwide
CUJO AI reveals North American connected device usage patterns
Jun 2, 2021 – CUJO AI has released its annual device intelligence report. The report explores connected device usage patterns and trends based on data from more than 1 billion devices in the Unites States and Canada.
News categories: CUJO AI, Kimmo Kasslin, Big Data, Canada, Digital TV, Gaming, Smart TV, Smartphone, Tablet, USA, VR
Digital content revenue to exceed $432bn globally by 2026
May 24, 2021 – Juniper Research expects the market for digital content to reach $432 billion by 2026; rising from $211 billion in 2021. Digital games are expected to generate the highest revenue in 2026.
News categories: Juniper Research, Saidat Giwa-Osagie, Advertising, Digital TV, Gaming, Market Research, Smart Home, Streaming, VR, Worldwide
Hologram dining experience opens in London and Edinburgh
Apr 15, 2021 – The world's first hologram dining experience has opened in London and Edinburgh. Virgin Media’s 'Two Hearts Pizzeria' will connect diners at opposite ends of the UK via a real-time holographic dining experience.
News categories: Virgin Media, Jeff Dodds, Dr James Bellini, Digital TV, UK, VR
Entain and Verizon Media to develop VR experience for live sports
Dec 17, 2020 – Verizon Media and Entain plc (LSE: ENT) have announced that they will develop a highly immersive proof of concept VR experience that will combine live sports viewing with interactive layers of sports data and gaming.
News categories: Verizon Media, Entain, Guru Gowrappan, Shay Segev, Digital TV, Market Research, UK, USA, UX, VR
- Roku launches OneView ad platform for Canada
- NEXTGEN TV launched on five local TV stations in St. Louis, MO
- Redbox signs distribution agreement with Vewd
- SpringServe first independent ad server to integrate with IRIS.TV
- Robust growth forecast for SVOD revenue in India
- Latest Vestel TVs certified for DTS:X immersive audio
- Wiztivi develops UI for Sagemcom Video Soundbox STB
- AlphaOTT partners with STI Telecom for OTT/IPTV headend services
- UEI providing voice-enabled remote for Astro's Ultra set-tops
- Ross Video withdraws from IBC 2021 exhibition
- Comcast brings XiOne streaming box to the U.S.
- Liberty Global to sell UPC Polska to iliad’s Play subsidiary
- Subscription fatigue in Australia? Not yet but on the way
- Sofia Digital working on a central service list registry for DVB-I
- Sony Pictures Networks India and Zee Entertainment negotiating merger
- Roku's Shopify app enables small business TV ad campaigns
- Americans move from bingeing on TV to social media in 2021
- VideoElephant makes 150 linear video channels available for licensing
- Android TV in 25% of advanced set-top boxes
- Pure TV launches in Ireland based on the Netgem TV platform