Metaverse – Virtual Reality (VR), Extended Reality (XR) and Immersive Video News
Consumer VR shipments in China to approach 7 million units in 2026
Nov 25, 2022 – According to IDC, consumer standalone VR shipments in China increased by 166.2% year-over-year in the H1 2022. China standalone VR in Q1 2022 reached 229,000 units shipped, while Q2 2022 had almost 273,000 units shipped.
News categories: IDC, Claire Zhao, China, Gaming, Market Research, Metaverse
VR device shipments to bounce back in 2023
Nov 29, 2022 – TrendForce estimates that global shipments of VR devices will come to around 8.58 million units for 2022, a YoY drop of 5.3%. For 2023, TrendForce expects a bounce back to a total of 10.35 million.
News categories: TrendForce, Market Research, Metaverse, Worldwide
12.5m consumer VR headsets to be sold in 2022
Nov 17, 2022 – Consumer VR will be worth $6.9bn in 2022, increasing to $20bn in 2027, according to Omdia. In the face of macroeconomic challenges, the market continues to expand, with 12.5 million headsets expected to be sold in 2022.
News categories: Omdia, George Jijiashvili, Digital TV, Market Research, Metaverse, Worldwide
holoride in-car entertainment platform launches on select Audi models
Nov 2, 2022 – holoride has announced the release of its platform for select Audi vehicles in Germany from mid-November. The add-on package provides a variety of games and apps that all use live ride info to bring content to life in a new media paradigm.
News categories: holoride, Audi, Nils Wollny, Giorgio Delucchi, Digital TV, Germany, In-Car, Metaverse
Sony Honda Mobility established
Oct 13, 2022 – Sony Honda Mobility has announced its establishment as a company, following on from a memorandum of understanding signed on March 4, 2022 between Sony Group and Honda Motor for a strategic alliance in the mobility field.
News categories: Sony Honda Mobility, Yasuhide Mizuno, Izumi Kawanishi, Digital TV, In-Car, Metaverse, Worldwide
Metaverse device installed base to reach 100 million in 2024
Aug 22, 2022 – As investment in the metaverse grows, ownership of dedicated metaverse devices (VR and AR headsets) is set to surge. A Strategy Analytics report predicts the installed base to double by 2024, from 50 million today.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, David MacQueen, Market Research, Metaverse, Worldwide
Nex pioneers immersive motion entertainment experiences
Sep 1, 2022 – Nex will be exhibiting its motion experiences and development tools at both IBC and the Tokyo Game Show, where it will show how it turns camera-enabled devices into accessible playgrounds for physical activity at home.
News categories: Nex, David Lee, Digital TV, Gaming, IBC2022, Metaverse, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Worldwide
Metaverse Standards Forum launched
Jun 21, 2022 – The Metaverse Standards Forum brings together standards organizations and companies for cooperation on interoperability standards needed to build the open metaverse. The Forum will explore where the lack of interoperability is holding back metaverse deployment.
News categories: Metaverse Standards Forum, Neil Trevett, Gaming, Metaverse, Worldwide
Global entertainment & media revenues surge to $2.3 trillion
Jun 20, 2022 – According to PwC, the global entertainment and media (E&M) industry surged ahead last year, strongly outpacing global economic growth. Following a pandemic-related 2.3% decline in 2020, E&M revenue rose a strong 10.4% in 2021.
News categories: PwC, Werner Ballhaus, Advertising, Big Data, Digital TV, Gaming, Market Research, Metaverse, Streaming, Worldwide
- PEAK3 ATSC 3.0 one-to-many solution for IoT and Edge use cases
- Verimatrix launches VCAS monitoring in the Cloud
- Ad-supported Disney+ now available in the U.S.
- Allegro DVT and V-Nova collaborate to accelerate LCEVC deployment
- Paramount+ arrives in Germany, Austria, and Switzerland
- Nordic streaming customers open to subscriptions with ads
- Frndly TV exceeds 700,000 subscribers
- Pixalate releases November 2022 CTV app spoofing report
- Pixalate releases Q3 2022 SSP market share rankings
- SMPTE publishes guide to ontologies and semantics for media in the cloud
- SeaChange to power streaming for FOX Sports Mexico
- Limited growth for APAC ex-China pay-TV revenues to 2027
- Shahid streaming platform now available on KONKA Smart TVs
- JPIX partners with Cisco and Qwilt for streaming delivery in Japan
- ZTE helps América Móvil migrate from AOSP to Android TV
- Veira Group starts production of webOS Hub 2.0 Smart TVs
- NextGen TV launched in Champaign and Springfield-Decatur
- Innovid integrates Kinetiq ad-occurrence data
- TF1 implements Irdeto Control to protect World Cup streams
- Premium online video rebounds in Southeast Asia