Metaverse – Virtual Reality (VR), Extended Reality (XR) and Immersive Video News
Another slow year expected for AR/VR headsets
Sep 19, 2023 – Worldwide augmented reality and virtual reality (AR/VR) headset shipments declined for the fourth quarter in a row as volumes fell 44.6% YoY during the second quarter of 2023, according to IDC.
News categories: IDC, Jitesh Ubrani, Ramon T. Llamas, Market Research, Metaverse, Worldwide
Rokid shows portable Android TV device for AR glasses at IBC
Sep 15, 2023 – Rokid has showcased its Rokid Station Android TV device at IBC 2023. Developed with HiMedia, the Rokid Station works with AR glasses to enable portable cinematic experiences anytime, anywhere.
News categories: Rokid, Hui Du, Android TV, Digital TV, IBC2023, Metaverse, Streaming, Worldwide
True and ZTE launch joint innovation centre in Thailand
Jul 5, 2023 – ZTE (0763.HK/000063.SZ) and True have launched the True & ZTE Innovation Center. The centre will explore the latest communication technologies as well as smart homes and smart living.
News categories: ZTE, True Corp, Li Zixue, Manat Manavutiveth, 5G, Digital TV, Metaverse, Smart Home, Thailand
UK to continue as the leading entertainment and media market in Europe
Jun 27, 2023 – According to PwC's Global Entertainment & Media (E&M) Outlook 2023-2027, the UK is set to maintain its position as the leading E&M market in Europe over the next four years.
News categories: PwC, Mary Shelton Rose, Dan Bunyan, Advertising, Digital TV, Market Research, Metaverse, Streaming, UK, Worldwide
AR/VR headset shipments slowed in Q1 2023
Jun 1, 2023 – According to IDC, global shipments of AR and VR headsets slowed significantly in Q1 2023 as economic conditions worsened and the market cooled compared to pandemic driven highs seen last year.
News categories: IDC, Jitesh Ubrani, Digital TV, Hardware, Market Research, Metaverse, Worldwide
Introducing Apple Vision Pro: Apple’s first spatial computer
Jun 5, 2023 – Apple has unveiled Apple Vision Pro, a spatial computer that blends digital content with the physical world, while allowing users to stay present and connected to others.
News categories: Apple, Tim Cook, Mike Rockwell, Digital TV, Hardware, Metaverse, USA
VR/AR shipments expected to drop to 7.45 million in 2023
May 22, 2023 – TrendForce forecasts a global downturn in AR and VR device shipments for 2023, predicting a shipment total of roughly 7.45 million units - an 18.2% YoY decrease.
News categories: TrendForce, Digital TV, Market Research, Metaverse, Worldwide
AR/VR panel shipments to reach 119 million units by 2028
May 15, 2023 – According to DSCC, display panel shipments for VR will increase by 17.6% this year, lower than previously forecast. Shipments are now expected to grow from 13.6M units in 2022 to 16M units in 2023.
News categories: DSCC, Guillaume Chansin, Digital TV, Market Research, Metaverse, Worldwide
Slower AR/VR headset shipment growth expected for 2023
Mar 21, 2023 – IDC has lowered its forecast for AR/VR headset shipments in 2023. Despite the revision, total shipments are expected to grow 14% in 2023 and accelerate over the 2023-2027 period with a five-year CAGR of 32.6%.
News categories: IDC, Jitesh Ubrani, Ramon T. Llamas, Digital TV, Market Research, Metaverse, Worldwide
- Rakuten TV VOD now available via Zattoo on 1&1 in Germany
- Tele Columbus goes live with PŸUR TV STB featuring 3SS UX
- Two more Miami TV stations launch NEXTGEN TV
- Gracenote launches automotive infotainment metadata platform
- YMEDIA launches tokenized AI Smart TV ad network
- Barb awards metadata, interim overnight programme and commercial logs contracts
- FreeWheel and OrkaTV bring FAST channel access to advertisers
- América Móvil increases shareholding in Telekom Austria
- Tele Columbus taps Simply.TV for advanced metadata
- AOMedia offers spatial audio specification under royalty-free license
- TheViewPoint integrates with FreeWheel
- Australia to introduce 'prominence framework' for local broadcast services
- Telecom and pay-TV revenue in Hong Kong to grow at 1.1% CAGR
- Proximus optimises delivery of Pickx with Velocix Analytics
- Traditional US pay-TV services face continued decline
- Edgio adds player-independent video performance reports
- Flat panel display oversupply to continue into 2024
- Japan SVOD service revenue to reach $6 billion in 2027
- Ateme powers NT's sports video contribution in Asia and beyond
- Global TV shipments to fall below 197 million units in 2023