Japan Digital TV News
WOWOW and MQA show HD video playback with the highest quality sound
Oct 25, 2019 – Japanese pay TV broadcaster, WOWOW, is harnessing MQA's audio technology to showcase HD video playback with the highest quality sound. MQA’s technology enables the highest quality playback of original audio on all devices.
News categories: MQA, WOWOW, Bob Stuart, Hideo Irimajiri, Digital TV, Japan, Satellite, UX
Sumitomo selects SiTune ISDB-S3 tuner for 4K/8K set-top box
Oct 17, 2019 – SiTune has announced that its ISDB-S3 silicon tuner has contributed to the market success of Sumitomo's Cable STB for 4K/8K satellite broadcasting. The STB has been available since March and has been distributed to several CATV operators.
News categories: SiTune, Sumitomo, Marzieh Veyseh, Hiroaki Nishimoto, Cable TV, Digital TV, Japan, Satellite, Semiconductor
IPTV subscriptions and ARPU to drive pay TV growth in Japan
Oct 14, 2019 – GlobalData expects that a rise in IPTV subscriptions and increasing ARPU will drive growth in pay-TV service revenues in Japan through 2023. Fixed broadband expansion and rising adoption of OTT services will also increase revenue.
News categories: GlobalData, Hrushikesh Mahananda, Broadband, Digital TV, Japan, Market Research
TV Panel makers cut capacity to reduce losses
Oct 7, 2019 – According to WitsView, Korean, Taiwanese and Chinese panel makers have all started to lower their utilization rates for TV panel products from September on, in order to improve severely unbalanced supply and demand, and stabilize prices.
News categories: WitsView, Anita Wang, China, Digital TV, Japan, Korea, Market Research, Smart TV, Taiwan
SKY Perfect JSAT chooses CommScope HD set-top box
Sep 11, 2019 – CommScope has been chosen to provide set-tops by SKY Perfect JSAT. SKY Perfect is introducing CommScope’s PT-SH700A HD set-top which features HD Pay TV channels and on-demand services for its SKY PerfecTV! Premium Service subscribers.
News categories: CommScope, SKY Perfect JSAT, Anthony Zuyderhoff, Digital TV, IBC2019, Japan, Satellite, Set Top Box
SiTune ships two millionth 8K TV silicon tuner
Sep 9, 2019 – SiTune has announced that it has shipped more than 2 million of its STN6528 dual concurrent ISDB-S3 Satellite and Terrestrial/Cable tuner used in 8K TVs. The tuners have been used in 8K Time Shift TVs and Blue Ray Recorders.
News categories: SiTune, Ben Runyan, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Japan, Market Research, Satellite, Semiconductor, Smart TV, Terrestrial
Amazon introduces second generation Fire TV Cube
Sep 4, 2019 – Amazon (NASDAQ: AMZN) has announced a new Fire TV Cube. The streaming media player features far-field voice control built directly into the device and is now available for pre-order in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Germany, and Japan.
News categories: Amazon, Marc Whitten, Digital TV, Germany, India, Japan, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart Home, UK, USA
Streamhub launches cross-broadcaster video data platform in Japan
Aug 5, 2019 – Streamhub has launched 'catch-an', a data management platform for online video in Japan. In partnership with Video Research, this is the first time that rival broadcasters have worked together to pool their online video inventory to create propositions to report, plan and target campaigns at scale.
News categories: Streamhub, Video Research Ltd, Akihiro Tsuchiya, Yoshihide Ikeda, Advertising, Digital TV, Japan, OTT
SKY Perfect JSAT, LINE, and ITOCHU plan next-generation TV proof-of-concept
Jun 27, 2019 – SKY Perfect JSAT, LINE, and ITOCHU have signed an MOU to commercialize a next-generation television that will come equipped with an AI assistant and other new technologies, integrating video services with a variety of lifestyle information services.
News categories: SKY Perfect JSAT, LINE Corp, ITOCHU, Apps, Digital TV, Japan, Satellite, Smart Home
- 3SS, Media Distillery and XroadMedia offer AI-based UX personalisation for Android TV
- Fincons Group joins Deutsche TV-Plattform
- Samba TV taps Oracle Moat to measure viewability of CTV ads
- Amazon Prime Video app added to TiVo devices at Atlantic Broadband
- TekSavvy TV launches Cloud PVR and advanced features
- CJ Hello deploys ATEME transcoding solution
- US: Netflix grabs the most attention, but its reign will be challenged
- AWS compute and storage available at the edge of 5G networks
- FOX selects AWS as its cloud and machine learning provider
- TiVo launches Prime Video App to its U.S. pay-TV operator customers
- KPN integrates Amazon Prime Video into the TV menu
- Vodafone UK offers Apple TV 4K with unlimited broadband and mobile data
- A1 Bulgaria launches advanced TV with Zappware
- Tru Optik and Anzu.io to bring targeting to in-game advertising
- 14.5 million Australians now paying TV subscriptions
- EE hosts 5G-powered multi-location augmented reality gig
- Four-fifths of broadcasters considering personalised ads
- 3Q 2019 TV shipments grow 16.8% QoQ owing to peak season
- Worldwide spending on AR/VR expected to reach $18.8bn in 2020
- 13.7 million EU citizens streaming unauthorised IPTV