Japan Digital TV News
WOWOW licenses AI powered transcoder from Ittiam
Mar 8, 2021 – Ittiam Systems has licensed its cloud based content adaptive media transcoder solution to WOWOW, a satellite TV station in Japan. The Transcoder provides video encoding with an AAC Audio encoder.
News categories: Ittiam, WOWOW, Ichiro Minagawa, Yuichi Sogo, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Japan, Satellite
Sharp renews TiVo G-Guide licensing
Feb 16, 2021 – TiVo (Nasdaq: XPER) has announced an agreement with Sharp to use TiVo's G-Guide products across compatible television and Ultra HD Blu-ray recorder products in the Japanese market.
News categories: Xperi Holding, Sharp Corp, Matt Milne, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Japan, Patent, Smart TV, UX
Vewd integrates support for BML and Hybridcast
Dec 3, 2020 – Vewd has announced support for Broadcast Markup Language (BML) and Hybridcast in Vewd Core. Vewd Core with BML and Hybridcast provides devices with a unified OTT and hybrid TV environment ready for the Japanese market.
News categories: Vewd, Aneesh Rajaram, Digital TV, In-Car, Japan, Smart TV, UX
ACCESS announces BML browser on Android for cars
Nov 2, 2020 – ACCESS Europe has announced an enhancement to its NetFront Browser BML Edition for cars that extends support to Android. Broadcast Markup Language (BML) is essential for delivering interactive and TV services to the car in Japan.
News categories: ACCESS Europe, Dr Neale Foster, Digital TV, In-Car, Japan, Middleware
Discovery selects Magnite to strengthen DTC advertising proposition
Sep 29, 2020 – Magnite (NASDAQ: MGNI) has announced an expanded relationship with Discovery in support of its leading real life entertainment streaming service, dplay platform, to maximise programmatic advertising capabilities.
News categories: Magnite, Discovery, James Brown, Alex Hodge, Advertising, Big Data, Digital TV, India, Japan, UK
Asia Pacific to add 200 million SVOD subscribers
Sep 7, 2020 – According to Digital TV Research, Asia Pacific will have 467 million SVOD subscriptions in 2025, up from 267 million in 2019. China will contribute 279 million SVOD subscriptions in 2025 – 60% of the total.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Asia, Australia, China, Digital TV, India, Japan, Korea, Market Research, OTT
Arianespace orbits Galaxy 30, MEV-2 and BSAT-4b satellites
Aug 15, 2020 – Arianespace has launched three satellites into orbit - Galaxy 30, MEV-2 and BSAT-4b. BSAT-4b will be used for DTH television in Japan. Galaxy 30 will provide UHD video distribution/broadcast across North America.
News categories: Arianespace, Stéphane Israël, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Japan, North America, Satellite
KDDI selects VisualOn media player for au Smart Pass
Jul 29, 2020 – KDDI has selected the VisualOn Media Player to power playback on its au Smart Pass service. Subscribers can now experience the highest quality video, including multiple synchronized streams, on the Smart Pass app.
News categories: VisualOn, KDDI, Michael Jones, Takahiro Oono, Apps, Digital TV, Japan, Media Player, Mobile
Pay TV revenue in Japan to grow at 1.9% CAGR over next five years
Jul 24, 2020 – Japan’s total pay-TV services revenue is set to register a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 1.9% during 2019-2024, increasing from $8.9bn in 2019 to $9.8bn in 2024, according to revised pay-TV forecasts from GlobalData.
News categories: GlobalData, Deepa Dhingra, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Japan, Market Research, Satellite
- 2021 shaping up to be year of programmatic TV advertising in Europe
- WarnerMedia RIDE app now available for U.S. Toyota and Lexus owners
- discovery+ launches on Xfinity Flex and soon on X1
- CommScope to spin-off Home Networks business
- Disney+ rollout in Southern Asia going strong
- Western Europe pay TV subscribers to fall by 4 million
- Spain gives international travel authorisation for MWC21
- $18 million of Series B funding for IRIS.TV
- 8K TV households to reach 72 million worldwide by 2025
- Delta Fiber selects Agama video monitoring and analytics
- CTA and NCTA extend STB energy efficiency agreement to 2025
- Altice USA completes acquisition of Morris Broadband
- MediaTek and Samsung introduce Wi-Fi 6E enabled 8K TV
- COVID supercharged online video and gaming consumption in 2020
- VlogBox uses Protected Media SDK for CTV ad fraud detection
- Ekstraklasa chooses Red Bee as technology partner for Ekstraklasa.TV
- Sony brings BRAVIA CORE film entertainment to BRAVIA XR TVs
- Minerva Networks deploys at Mahaska Communications in Iowa
- LG to withdraw from mobile phone market
- 27% of DTC streaming video services are shared in the U.S.