Digital TV News: Ofcom
Fewer problems than forecast with TV reception during UK 4G test
Apr 4, 2013 – at800 has completed its first live test to help assess the extent to which Freeview could be impacted when 4G mobile services at 800MHz are launched. Fifteen households in the test area reported problems with TV reception rather than the 120 predicted.
News categories: at800, Digital TV, LTE, Terrestrial, UK
Ofcom releases International Communications Market Report
Dec 13, 2012 – UK consumers lead the world in using technology to enhance their viewing experience, Ofcom research reveals. The UK is ahead of other countries for catching up with TV online and is at the forefront of using technology such as smart TVs and DVRs.
News categories: Ofcom, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, OTT, Personal Video Recorder, Satellite, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Subscribers, Terrestrial, TV Everywhere, UK
5% of UK households own an internet connected smart TV
Jul 18, 2012 – The UK communications regulator, Ofcom, has released its 2012 Communications Market report. The percentage of UK homes with digital TV increased by three percentage points; from 93% in Q1 2011 to 96.2% in Q1 2012, as more regions switched to digital.
News categories: Ofcom, Cable TV, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Satellite, Smart TV, Subscribers, Terrestrial, UK
UK outlines scheme to tackle TV interference from 4G services
Jul 10, 2012 – The UK government has set out terms for a £180 million scheme to help the 900,000 digital terrestrial television (DTT) homes that communications regulator Ofcom estimates will be affected when 4G is introduced in the country next year.
News categories: Ofcom, Digital TV, LTE, Mobile, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Terrestrial, UK
YouView User Interface and Search Policy Consultation
Sep 26, 2011 – YouView, the proposed UK connected TV platform, has published its draft User Interface and Search Policy for consultation with industry, setting out how content will be presented to viewers in a way that makes it easy for them to discover.
News categories: YouView, Digital TV, Middleware, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, UK
BBC launches new BBC iPlayer for TV
Aug 8, 2011 – The BBC has launched a new version of BBC iPlayer for TV. For the first time, BBC iPlayer on TV is personalised, specifically designed for the living room, and easy to use.
News categories: BBC iPlayer, Digital TV, Games Console, Media Player, OTT, Smart TV, UK
Ofcom releases 2011 Communications Market report
Aug 4, 2011 – The UK communications regulator, Ofcom, has released its 2011 UK Communications Market report. There were nearly 1 million internet-enabled TVs sold during 2010, and 125,000 sales of TVs with 3D capabilities.
News categories: Ofcom, 3D, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, OTT, Personal Video Recorder, Satellite, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Subscribers, Terrestrial, UK
Reducing interference between digital TV and future mobile services
Jun 2, 2011 – The UK Office of Communications (Ofcom) has set out proposals to ensure that digital TV delivered through a roof top aerial can function alongside the next generation of mobile services to be rolled out from 2013.
News categories: Ofcom, Mobile, Regulation, Terrestrial, UK
- HbbTV three-way partnership launches integrated toolbox for broadcasters at BCA
- VeriSilicon introduces Hantro G2 video decoder IP with HEVC and VP9 support
- The days of fast global pay TV revenue growth are over
- Verimatrix to provide security for NTT Plala's multiscreen offering
- Measat and Ericsson trial UHDTV satellite contribution
- Tvingo Telecom reaches 30,000 IPTV subscribers
- Telenet launches 'TV with a card' CI+ option
- Vectra launches new HD set-top box from Motorola
- Sigma Designs reports first quarter fiscal 2014 results
- Huawei widens lead in broadband CPE market
- Astro Malaysia adds 40k pay TV subscribers in quarter to end-April
- Minerva secures RDK licence from Comcast
- Amino and Intracom to provide IPTV entertainment solution to South Eastern European operator
- One billion pay TV subscribers by 2018
- Brazil to move final analogue switchover to 2018
- Comcast introduces X2 Xfinity platform
- Time Warner Cable to bring content to Samsung Smart TVs without a Set Top Box
- Simple.TV adds Rovi Entertainment Store
- 115 million U.S. and Canadian pay TV subscribers to have access to multiscreen services by 2016
- NTT to show 4K internet streaming to a set-top box at IMC Tokyo 2013