Digital Set Top Box Market Remains a Strong Opportunity for Vendors and Technology ProvidersMonday, October 26th, 2009
SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — While the global recession has dampened growth in digital set top boxes (STB) in 2009, the market remains a tremendous opportunity for STB manufacturers and technology providers, reports In-Stat. From 2001 to 2008, the overall digital set top box market grew from 37 million units in 2001 to nearly 190 million units in 2008. Growth turned mixed across STB markets in 2009, with cable set top box shipments declining, while satellite, IP and digital terrestrial segments continued to see unit growth.
“Looking forward, the transition from Standard Definition (SD) to High Definition (HD) set top boxes will continue to provide STB vendors a solid growth opportunity,” says Mike Paxton, In-Stat analyst. “The integration of Personal Video Recording (PVR) capability is also creating growth opportunities.”
Recent research by In-Stat found the following:
- Worldwide digital set top box product revenue was $18 billion in 2008.
- IP STB shipments to Telco TV service providers are slowing down as Telco TV subscriber growth matures and moderates.
- 2009 is a year of transition for digital terrestrial (DTT) set top boxes. The completion of the analog switch-off in the US occurred in June, 2009. This created a substantial bubble of DTT shipments in 2008 and early 2009, but US DTT STB shipments will likely plummet in 2010. Growth in DTT shipments to Europe will partially offset the declining US sales.
Recent In-Stat research, The Digital Set Top Box Market: Global Demand Remains High (#IN0904477ME), covers the worldwide digital set top box market. It provides:
- A comprehensive overview of the global digital set top box market, to include a discussion about the key position of the set top box in the digital entertainment ecosystem.
- Analysis of set top box technology and market trends and how they are shaping current product development.
- Forecasts of the four digital set top box markets: cable, terrestrial, satellite/DTH, and IPTV.
- An aggregated worldwide digital set top box revenue and unit shipment forecast through 2013.
- A brief examination of leading the manufacturers of digital set top box products.
- Identification of key silicon suppliers for digital set top boxes and a discussion of STB semiconductor opportunities.
- Atmosic SoC approved for Google Android TV remote controls
- Bell Media unveils new and expanded ad solutions
- Irdeto ensures integrity of apps running on OSNtv
- Thales and Netskrt Systems collaborate on inflight VOD streaming
- Samsung chip to power Hyundai in-vehicle infotainment
- Radio Television Hong Kong selects Irdeto multi-DRM solution