IP Set Top Box Unit Shipments to Surpass 21 Million in 2011Wednesday, September 21st, 2011
The set top box market can be categorized as a mature one
SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — As a whole, the set top box market can be categorized as a mature one. That is to say, it has reached a state of equilibrium or at least the absence of significant growth. That’s not to say, however, that there aren’t segments of the business that are innovating and growing at fairly significant rates. New In-Stat research identifies the IP set top box market segment as one that is growing and is forecasting that unit shipments will surpass 21 million in 2011.
“The recent up-tick in IP set top boxes is a result of Telcos gaining subscribers from cable and satellite providers, as well as replacing the boxes of current subscribers,” says Michelle Abraham, Research Director. “Future increases for IP set top box shipments will likely be driven by service providers moving to a server/client architecture where there is a media gateway/server located in the media room of the house that shares its content with client boxes that are distributed throughout the rest of the home. These client boxes will be IP STBs. DirectTV is one of the first providers to offer this service, but In-Stat expects that others will follow over the next few years.”
Recent In-Stat research found the following:
- The IP set top box market will grow 14% in 2011.
- Motorola (NYSE: MMI) remained the market share leader in 2010 with 21% of the market.
- North American IP STB unit shipments will increase 48% in 2012.
- In 2013, Western Europe will account for 46% of worldwide IP STB revenues.
The research, Worldwide IP Set Top Boxes (#IN1104964ME), is part of In-Stat’s continuous research on the set top box market, which includes terrestrial, satellite, cable, and IP set top boxes. IP set top boxes are used by telcos in their deployments of managed IPTV services (referred to as telco TV in this report) for delivery of the video to the TV set. The research includes:
- Worldwide IP STB unit shipment and revenue forecasts by region through 2015.
- Worldwide IP STB shipments by vendor for 2008 and 2009.
- Worldwide IP STB average selling prices (ASPs) by region.
- Exploration of new IP STB features.