SES: HD+ Continues on Growth Path in GermanyThursday, November 24th, 2011
1.9 million HD+ households / Conversion rate 63 percent; More than 1 million paying households expected by year-end 2012
LUXEMBOURG — SES S.A. (Paris:SESG) (LuxX:SESG) announced today that its HD offering HD+ has continued to grow successfully throughout the first two years of its market presence. The service currently reaches 1.9 million German TV households. These are the results of a market analysis conducted by the GfK Group in Germany.
Of the 482,000 customers who started the one-year free trial period with HD+ between 1st November 2009 and 31st October 2010, 305,000 have decided to continue their use of the offering for an annual service fee of EUR 50. The conversion rate therefore stands at 63 percent. As of today, an additional 1.56 million households are currently using HD+ in the free trial period and will have the opportunity to extend their use of the service on a paying basis in the next twelve months. Based on the very positive development of HD+, SES expects to surpass the mark of one million paying customers by the end of next year.
HD+ is a technical platform operated by SES for encrypted broadcasting and reception of commercial free TV programmes in HD quality. The HD+ offering includes RTL HD, SAT.1 HD, ProSieben HD, VOX HD, kabel eins HD, N24 HD, TELE 5 HD, SPORT1 HD, RTL II HD, sixx HD, Nickelodeon HD and Comedy Central HD. Following a one year trial period free of charge, customers pay a fixed technical service fee of EUR 50 per year.
Wilfried Urner, CEO of the SES affiliate HD PLUS, says: “The German viewers have accepted HD+. The conversion rate of 63 percent from the free trial period into a paying mode remains as high as in the starting period and thus significantly exceeds our expectations. The high rate of acceptance began as a result of early-adopters, and now indicates that HD+ passes the test as a product for the mass market.”
Key figures HD+
31/10/2011 ---------- HD+ receivers(1) 2,042,252 Active HD+ households(2) 1,865,620 out of which HD+ users in free trial(3) 1,560,139 out of which HD+ customers(4) 305,481 Inactive HD+ households(5) 176,632 HD+ receiver models 66
1. HD+ receivers, CI modules and CI+ modules for HD+. The technical reach includes Sky Sat-HD receivers and the ordered media receivers MR 500 Sat (only September) for Entertain Sat from Deutsche Telekom.
2. Households currently receiving the HD+ programmes.
3. Households using the 12-months free trial period.
4. Households in which customers have paid the annual service fee of EUR 50.
5. Households which have not extended the free trial period but dispose of an HD+ receiver.
Source: GfK, reporting HD PLUS and partners
- Tenstorrent to build AI and RISC-V chiplets with LG for Smart TVs
- DISH brings its linear TV to the digital ad marketplace
- health tv launches first FAST channel with Amagi
- Number of UK SVOD homes falls in 1Q 2023
- inext signs Moldova distribution contract with DIGIMAX
- EL PAIS begins live broadcasts on its FAST channel with The Channel Store