Over 80% of U.S. smartphone users now stream videoMonday, March 21st, 2016
Over 80% of Smartphone Users Now Stream Video on Their Devices, According to The NPD Group
- Video Content Consumption Driven by Younger Consumers
PORT WASHINGTON, NY — Eighty-one percent of all U.S. smartphone users now stream video on their devices, according to recently released data from The NPD Group’s Connected Intelligence Smartphone and Tablet Usage Report. This usage is being driven primarily by users who are 25 and younger, who spend twice as much time watching video content on YouTube and Netflix mobile apps compared to users who are over the age of 25.
As a result of this uptick in video consumption, users who are 25 and younger outperform older age groups in terms of cellular and Wi-Fi data consumption levels generated by video applications. These users consume, on average, 6,2 GB of data (cellular and Wi-Fi combined) for video streaming purposes each month, versus older smartphone users who use an average of 4,9 GB of data for video streaming monthly.
And while the majority of video streaming occurs over Wi-Fi networks, smartphone users now rely on cellular data more than ever. According to the NPD Smartmeter*, an opt-in metering application that tracks live smartphone and tablet usage behavior, the average U.S. smartphone user consumes close to 3 GB of cellular data per month, with video streaming serving as the top application driving that data consumption.
NPD Connected Intelligence Mobility practice research director Brad Akyuz noted, “Users are spending more time watching videos on their smartphones than ever before, as the adoption of smartphones that boast larger displays increases. This mobile streaming behavior is further bolstered by the new offerings of wireless operators, such as T-Mobile’s Binge On and Verizon Wireless’ go90, which run on free sponsored data.”
* The NPD Group’s Connected Intelligence SmartMeter is an opt-in on metering solution that resides on consumers’ smartphones and tablets.
- CDNetworks powers VSTV K+ OTT streaming in Vietnam
- 24i and Amagi partner to enable rapid launch of streaming services
- Net Insight and Skyline partner on live video workflows
- Mixed fortunes for pay TV in the Asia Pacific region
- Evolution Digital integrates OpenSync with an Android TV set-top box
- ARF calls for move away from TV households as basis of TV measurement