Film and series channels make up 61% of pay on demand services in EuropeTuesday, November 8th, 2016
European Audiovisual Observatory: Film and Series Channels make up a massive 61% of all pay on demand services in Europe, compared with only 14% of TV channels
Films and TV fiction are clearly the main driver for on-demand services. Pay on demand services specialized in film and TV fiction account for two-thirds of all pay-on demand services in Europe, compared with only 14% of TV channels.
1. Breakdown of pay on-demand services established in Europe by genre (October 2016)
These figures are taken from MAVISE – the European Audiovisual Observatory’s free access TV and VoD database. This newly revamped database includes free profile data on TV channels and on-demand services in 41 European countries plus Morocco. For each national market MAVISE provides valuable data such as:
- Overall TV market profile
- TV channels established in, targeting or available in the country
- On-demand services established in, targeting or available in the country
- Operators and providers of on-demand services
Data is also provided on the availability on the main line-ups, ownership and the origin of services. MAVISE currently contains data on over 12 000 TV channels and over 1 400 different VoD services. All data can be freely extracted in the form of excel tables.
2. Breakdown of the main pay on-demand services active in Europe by distribution (October 2016)
Over 60% of the 723 main pay-on demand services established and active in Europe identified by the Observatory are available online, whereas almost 40% are operated by the main TV distributors on their managed networks. Among the pay-on demand services, transactional services (TVOD) – 416 – outnumber subscription services (SVOD) – 307.
3. Breakdown of TV channels established in Europe by genre (October 2016)
Among thematic channels, Fiction, Sport, Entertainment are the most prevailing genres. Only 9% of the 5 462 international and national TV channels established in Europe are generalist.
4. Share of international and national channels established in Europe available on DTT by genre (October 2016)
About 22% of international and national TV channels established in Europe are available in Digital Terrestrial Television (free or pay) in at least one country in Europe. Generalist channels access more easily to DTT: close to 46% of generalist channels established in Europe are available on DTT.