Inside Secure to acquire VerimatrixWednesday, December 5th, 2018
Inside Secure Enters into an Exclusive Agreement to Acquire Verimatrix, Inc. Creating a Software-based Security Powerhouse
- Combining two experts in cloud-based security solutions with leading position in Entertainment
- Fully financed transaction with strengthened capital base at completion
The combination accelerates Inside Secure’s strategic roadmap offering an improved value proposition for its shareholders who will benefit from:
- Leading the entertainment security market with a unique value proposition
- Bringing end-to-end security solutions to the IoT and Connected cars markets
- Deploying Verimatrix data analytics capabilities across all Inside Secure end markets
- Scaling to a new business dimension with $119 million of adjusted revenue1 and $21.5 million of EBITDA (2017 pro forma IFRS)
- Ready to capture opportunities to up-sell and cross-sell customers while benefiting from economies of scale estimated at $10 million
- Acquisition expected to be accretive to Inside Secure’s earnings from 2019 prior to full implementation of anticipated synergies
- 2021 objective to drive profitable growth: revenue of $150 million and EBITDA margin of 25%
AIX-EN-PROVENCE, France – Inside Secure (Euronext Paris: INSD), at the heart of security solutions for mobile and connected devices, today announced it has entered into an exclusivity agreement to acquire Verimatrix, Inc. (“Verimatrix”), a privately-held company headquartered in San Diego, California, USA.
Verimatrix which employs more than 300 people in 20 countries, with most significant operations in California and in Germany, is a global independent leading software security provider for video services, trusted by all major content owners in Entertainment. Their security solutions are recognized for comprehensive multi-network support and maintaining end-to-end service integrity. Verimatrix helps to reduce the cost and complexity in the current content delivery processes. The company extends its technical innovation for video providers by offering a comprehensive data collection and analysis platform for automated real-time quality of experience (QoE) optimization that drives security performance monitoring, user engagement and content monetization.
Verimatrix generated mid-single digit growth to $78.7 million revenue and $14.5 million EBITDA in the twelve-month period ended September 30, 2018.
Commenting on the proposed transaction, Amedeo D’Angelo, Chairman and CEO of Inside Secure, said: “Over the years, we have built a unique position to bring security at the heart of connected devices and apps with a leading position in the OTT video services market.
Verimatrix has become a key player in software-based security for Entertainment content management through its scalable and comprehensive platform with a deep expertise in cloud-based data analytics and intelligence on security performance and video users’ behaviours.
In this context, I’m very pleased to move ahead with the project to acquire Verimatrix which is the perfect fit to strengthen scale and reach of our value proposition in end markets that are fast shifting towards software and cloud-based security solutions while video content consumption is becoming multi-device and multi-format.
We are looking forward to combining both businesses to offer our clients the best value proposition in security, starting with entertainment and moving towards Internet of Things and Connected Cars, and to continue to create value for our shareholders.”
Tom Munro, CEO of Verimatrix, Inc., declared: “This transaction allows a great combination of technologies and expertise, bringing two well-respected market players together. It’s exciting to create a company with such a clear focus, a global presence, and a depth of expertise in the applications of security and analytics across critical market segments.”
A powerful combination with strong strategic rationale
Entertainment: creating a software-based security powerhouse with leading position
The transaction leads to the creation of a trusted global powerhouse in software-based security with significant penetration of the Entertainment market, positioned to capture a well-established, but still fast-growing, demand for security solutions in the context of:
- A major shift towards software and cloud-based security solutions;
- Growth of demand for big data analytics solutions in a landscape of multi-device and multi-format video consumption; and
- Content owners’ and service operators’ increasing anxiety to protect their digital revenue and profit margins (a total of $37bn revenue is estimated to be lost to piracy in 2018).
The combination offers Inside Secure a unique value proposition within the Entertainment security market, enabling content providers and service operators to manage the most complex video security challenges leveraging:
- A robust platform addressing the entire ecosystem’s multi-network requirements;
- A proven software-centric position in the fastest growing segments within the digital content protection market;
- A broad-based solution architecture that stretches from silicon IP through rights arbitration and tracking;
- A strong and highly diversified client portfolio with Verimatrix solutions deeply entrenched and trusted by Hollywood studios and other content owners globally; and
- A unique opportunity to expand value in customers deploying integrated multi-device video solutions.
Internet of Things (“IoT”) and Connected Cars markets: reinforcing a strong position in software security
Beyond the Entertainment market, the combination provides firm foundations to accelerate penetration of other growth verticals that face a critical security challenge, notably IoT and Connected Cars, by leveraging a high-integrity device credential management platform and enabling comprehensive, end-to-end security technology and services offerings in such application verticals.
Big data and analytics business application: tackling new growth opportunities
Additionally, the transaction will enable Inside Secure to tackle opportunities in advanced cloud-based analytics beyond the Entertainment market. The company will maximize the value of data analytics technologies across all its markets to provide its customers with real-time visibility over security performance (e.g.,threat and attack detection and analysis) and user behaviour.
Increased scale with compelling value creation potential
The contemplated transaction affords Inside Secure the ability to take advantage of significantly greater reach and scale.
The combined entities would have generated $119 million in adjusted revenue and $21.5 million in EBITDA in 2017 on an IFRS pro forma basis. The new group will benefit from its new scale and leverage the Verimatrix resilient revenue base and from the mix of both recurring and repeat revenue from both companies.
Leveraging a strong technology and product portfolio as well as a complementary customer base, the combination of both companies will generate multiple up-selling and cross-selling opportunities while benefiting from economies of scale.
In addition, Inside Secure anticipates $10 million cost synergies per year on a run rate basis, once fully implemented, representing 10% of combined operating expenses base due to:
- Economies of scale with development teams, suppliers, ecosystem partners and device-provisioning costs; and
- General & Administrative optimization that takes full advantage of the combined scale, rationalization and streamlining of the organization.
The transaction is expected to be accretive to Inside Secure’s earnings from 2019, primarily due to the incremental earnings brought by Verimatrix and the generation of $4 million synergies in 2019 prior to full implementation of anticipated synergies.
Moving forward, Inside Secure expects to reach revenues of $150 million while generating an EBITDA margin of 25% in 2021 for the combined entities and at constant perimeter.