28% of U.S. smart speaker owners use it to control a smart home deviceWednesday, December 12th, 2018
28% of smart speaker owners use the device to control a smart home device
- Research firm tracks growth of voice control and voice-based technologies for smart home and connected entertainment ecosystems
DALLAS — Parks Associates research finds 28% of U.S. broadband households with a smart speaker with voice assistant use the device to control a smart home device, compared to only 12% that use the device to control an entertainment device. The research firm analyzes the trends in smart home, connected entertainment, and consumer-based IoT in ‘State of the Market: Smart Home and Connected Entertainment’, available for download on the Parks Associates site.
“The entertainment ecosystem is lagging a bit in the voice control area, even though 45% of U.S. broadband households see voice control of the TV as appealing,” said Jennifer Kent, Director, Research Quality & Product Development, Parks Associates.
“Voice-based technologies experienced massive growth in the past five years, by alleviating complexity in the user experience and delivering key use cases in control of smart home devices. As consumers see these voice solutions operate their smart lights and thermostats, their interests extend to their entertainment services, creating opportunities for players that can bring a quality voice-based solution to this ecosystem.”
Additional research from this document includes:
- More than 45% of U.S. broadband households own a connected health device.
- 20% of U.S. broadband households are very interested in home living service to notify family in case of emergency.
- More than six million U.S. consumers will use PERS devices by 2021.
- 40% of U.S. broadband households would pay for at least one home-living service for themselves.
- Integral Ad Science ad verification goes live with Netflix
- DoubleVerify media quality measurement now available to Netflix advertisers
- EU clears acquisition of VOO and Brutélé by Orange, subject to conditions
- Liberty Global Belgium to launch takeover bid for Telenet Group Holding
- Proximus extends partnership with ThinkAnalytics
- Allente launches Google TV device powered by 3SS and SEI Robotics