Share of U.S. households with a top SVOD service steady at 78%Tuesday, August 31st, 2021
U.S. Households With a Top SVOD Service Steady at 78%
- 58% of all Households Have More Than One SVOD Service
DURHAM, NH — New consumer research from Leichtman Research Group, Inc. (LRG) finds that 78% of all U.S. households have a subscription video on-Demand (SVOD) service from Netflix, Amazon Prime, and/or Hulu – compared to 78% in 2020, 74% in 2019, and 59% in 2016.
Among those that have any of these three SVOD services, 74% have more than one – compared to 70% in 2020, 69% in 2019, and 47% in 2016. Overall, 58% of U.S. households now have more than one of these SVOD services – compared to 55% in 2020, 51% in 2019, and 28% in 2016.
These findings are based on a survey of 2,000 households nationwide and are part of a new LRG study, Emerging Video Services 2021. This is LRG’s fifteenth annual study on this topic.
Other related findings include:
- 41% of all adults stream a top SVOD service daily – compared to 40% in 2020, 33% in 2019, and 24% in 2016
- Ages 18-34 account for 41% of adults using SVOD daily, and ages 18-44 account for 67% of adults using SVOD daily
- Including eleven additional streaming video services, 82% of all households have at least one SVOD or DTC service, and 53% have three or more services
- The mean number of SVOD/DTC services among all households is 3.1 – compared to 2.9 in 2020
- 54% of adults watch video on non-TV devices (including mobile phones, home computers, tablets, and eReaders) daily – compared to 55% in 2020, 51% in 2019, and 41% in 2016
- 81% of ages 18-34 watch video on non-TV devices daily – compared to 59% of ages 35-54, and 25% of ages 55+
“The percent of households with a top SVOD service held steady in 2021, and those using any of these services daily also levelled off after being pulled forward last year due to the coronavirus pandemic,” said Bruce Leichtman, president and principal analyst for Leichtman Research Group, Inc. “While the breadth of households with a major SVOD service is similar to last year, those with multiple top SVOD services continued to expand. And, including eleven additional streaming video services, 27% of households now report having five or more SVOD or DTC services.”
Links: Leichtman Research