Latin America Digital TV News
Brazil to move final analogue switchover to 2018
Jun 11, 2013 – Brazil has announced that it has updated its plan for analogue television shut down. The schedule will now begin in March 2015 and end in 2018. The original plan was that the shutdown of the analogue service and the migration to fully digital would occur in 2016.
News categories: Ministério das Comunicações, Brazil, Digital TV, SBTVD, Terrestrial
Costa Rica's ICE launches 'kölbi hogar TV' IPTV
Jun 5, 2013 – Instituto Costarricense de Electricidad (ICE) has launched Costa Rica's first IPTV service. The service, called 'kölbi hogar TV' has 87 channels, with 11 channels of pay per view, plus seven in HD.
News categories: Instituto Costarricense de Electricidad, Costa Rica, Digital TV, IPTV
Guatemala adopts ISDB-T for DTT
Jun 5, 2013 – The Government of Guatemala has announced in its official gazette that it has adopted the Japanese-Brazilian ISDB-T system as its broadcasting standard for digital terrestrial television (DTT).
News categories: Digital TV, Guatemala, ISDB-T, SBTVD, Terrestrial
MaxLinear MxL683 selected for ST's ISDB-T STB reference design for Latin America
May 29, 2013 – MaxLinear (NYSE: MXL) has announced that its MxL683 has been selected by STMicroelectronics (NYSE: STM) for the STiH207 reference design, a small form factor, cost-optimized set-top box (STB) design for Latin America.
News categories: MaxLinear, STMicroelectronics, ISDB-T, Latin America, SBTVD, Semiconductor, Set Top Box, Terrestrial
Cablemás expands VOD platform with Conax Xtend Multiscreen™
May 28, 2013 – Conax has announced that Mexican cable operator Cablemás is further expanding their VOD platform with Conax Xtend Multiscreen™. The platform’s Hybrid STBs are being provided by Evolution Digital.
News categories: Conax, Cablemás, Evolution Digital, Cubiware, Cable TV, Content Protection, Digital TV, Mexico, Middleware, Set Top Box
Mexico passes 7 million DTH subscriber mark
May 27, 2013 – According to Mexico’s Telecommunications Sector Production Index (ITEL), at the end of March 2013 there were 7.1 million DTH users in the country. Cable TV finished the quarter with 6 million subscribers.
News categories: COFETEL, Cable TV, Market Research, Mexico, MMDS, Satellite, Subscribers
Isobar and SKY Brazil launch first ever record-via-twitter service
May 20, 2013 – SKY, the largest subscription-TV operator in Brazil, has launched #SKYREC, a new service for subscribers of SKY HD. This service enables the recording of programs on the decoder with just one re-tweet.
News categories: SKY Brasil, AgênciaClick Isobar, Brazil, Digital TV, Personal Video Recorder, Satellite
Vivendi (Canal+, GVT) releases first quarter 2013 results
May 14, 2013 – Vivendi has released its first quarter 2013 results. At the end of March 2013, Canal+ Group’s total subscription portfolio was up 285,000 year-on-year, thanks to good performances in the Canal+ Overseas territories, in particular in Africa and Vietnam.
News categories: Vivendi, Canal+ Group, GVT, Africa, Brazil, France, IPTV, Poland, Results, Satellite, Subscribers, Vietnam
- Verimatrix to provide security for NTT Plala's multiscreen offering
- Measat and Ericsson trial UHDTV satellite contribution
- Tvingo Telecom reaches 30,000 IPTV subscribers
- Telenet launches 'TV with a card' CI+ option
- Vectra launches new HD set-top box from Motorola
- Sigma Designs reports first quarter fiscal 2014 results
- Huawei widens lead in broadband CPE market
- Astro Malaysia adds 40k pay TV subscribers in quarter to end-April
- Minerva secures RDK licence from Comcast
- Amino and Intracom to provide IPTV entertainment solution to South Eastern European operator
- One billion pay TV subscribers by 2018
- Brazil to move final analogue switchover to 2018
- Comcast introduces X2 Xfinity platform
- Time Warner Cable to bring content to Samsung Smart TVs without a Set Top Box
- Simple.TV adds Rovi Entertainment Store
- 115 million U.S. and Canadian pay TV subscribers to have access to multiscreen services by 2016
- NTT to show 4K internet streaming to a set-top box at IMC Tokyo 2013
- TiVo rolling out to Mediacom customers
- Broadcom introduces hybrid headless video gateway SoC
- Orange Romania launches TV service with GlobeCast on ASTRA