Latin America Digital TV News
Qualy TV DTH arrives in Costa Rica
Dec 4, 2013 – Qualy TV, part of the Albavisión group, has launched its new pay TV service in Costa Rica using the satellite platform of Media Networks, a unit of Telefónica. The basic service consists of 53 SD channels, with additional movie and adult packages available.
News categories: Qualy TV, Media Networks, Costa Rica, Digital TV, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Satellite
Sigma Designs announces turn-key hybrid set top box with Ginga
Dec 3, 2013 – Sigma Designs (NASDAQ: SIGM) has announced that Latin American STB manufacturers are engaging in the production of a turn-key solution based on Sigma's SoC for hybrid set top boxes for Argentina and other countries using ISDB-T.
News categories: Sigma Designs, Mach Electronics, Argentina, CES, Digital TV, ISDB-T, Latin America, Middleware, SBTVD, Semiconductor, Set Top Box, Terrestrial
Embratel acquires Net Serviços in Brazil
Nov 28, 2013 – Net Serviços de Comunicação has announced that Empresa Brasileira de Telecomunicações (Embratel) has acquired 13,675,932 of NET’s shares, corresponding to 83.62% of the total amount of NET’s outstanding shares.
News categories: Embratel, Net Serviços, Brazil, Cable TV, Digital TV, M&A
Entel to offer satellite TV in Bolivia
Nov 20, 2013 – Bolivia's Entel has announced that, once the country's Túpac Katari communications satellite is in operation, the company plans to offer a nationwide digital satellite television service starting in 2014.
News categories: Entel, Bolivia, Digital TV, Satellite
Brazil adds 432,000 pay TV subscribers in 3Q 2013
Nov 18, 2013 – According to Brazil's Agência Nacional de Telecomunicações (Anatel), the country's pay TV subscriber base ended September 2013 at 17.4 million, with more than 2 million new subscribers being added over the preceding 12 months.
News categories: Anatel, Brazil, Cable TV, Digital TV, MMDS, Satellite, Subscribers
Amper wins Telefónica Latin America STB contract
Nov 18, 2013 – Amper Group, through its subsidiary Amper Sistemas, has announced that it has been awarded a contract by Telefónica to supply set-top boxes for its services in Latin America.
News categories: Amper Group, Telefónica, Digital TV, Latin America, Peru, Satellite, Set Top Box
DIRECTV adds 139,000 subscribers; DTVLA adds 260,000 in 3Q 2013
Nov 5, 2013 – DIRECTV (NASDAQ:DTV) has announced third quarter 2013 results. DIRECTV U.S. net subscribers increased by 139,000 in the quarter principally due to lower monthly churn. DTVLA net additions in the quarter were 260,000.
News categories: DIRECTV, DIRECTV Latin America, Sky Mexico, Argentina, Brazil, Caribbean, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Latin America, Mexico, Peru, Puerto Rico, Results, Satellite, Subscribers, Uruguay, USA, Venezuela
Unotel, Media Networks and NAGRA launch Pay TV in Brazil
Oct 10, 2013 – Unotel Telecom, Media Networks and NAGRA have announced the signature of an agreement for the launch of a new pay-TV offering. The new service will be initially offered to the four million broadband subscriber base of the shareholders and partners of Unotel.
News categories: NAGRA, Media Networks, Unotel, Brazil, Conditional Access, Content Protection, Digital TV, Middleware, Satellite, Terrestrial
- Mongolia's MNBC migrates to DVB-T2 with Thomson video headend
- Qualy TV DTH arrives in Costa Rica
- Elliptic Technologies announces hardware-enforced content protection for Microsoft® PlayReady®
- Marvell unveils SoC for Google Services for Smart TVs with Hisense
- Bosnia's m:tel to upgrade IPTV service with Motorola
- Gartner says worldwide semiconductor revenue grew 5.2 percent in 2013
- LG to incorporate Qualcomm's AllJoyn into Smart TV platform
- Semiconductor sales recover in 2013
- Ono TV Online launches in Spain
- Rostelecom IPTV subscribers reach 2 million
- Sigma Designs announces turn-key hybrid set top box with Ginga
- SMiT launches CI+ 1.3 VoD CAM into Netherlands market
- INSIDE Secure protects premium mobile entertainment for Sky Italia
- Sequans and Huawei collaborate to advance LTE broadcast technology
- SmarDTV CI Plus modules for RCS & RDS pay TV in Romania and Hungary
- ATSC establishes Candidate Standard for Interactive TV
- Portugal adds 13,000 pay TV subscribers in 3Q 2013
- Smart TV market worth $265 billion by 2016
- New Zealand switches off analogue TV signal
- LOVEFiLM launches streaming application on PlayStation 4