Digital TV News: BSkyB
Liberty Global extends its dominance in Europe
Nov 13, 2013 – Pay TV subscriptions for the 102 operators across 26 countries covered in a new report from Digital TV Research will increase from a collective 105.8 million in 2008 to 131.9 million in 2012 and onto 147.1 million by 2018.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Cable TV, Digital TV, Europe, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, Subscribers
BSkyB results for the three months ended 30 September 2013
Oct 17, 2013 – BSkyB (LSE:BSY) has released unaudited results for the three months ended 30 September 2013. Sky added 37,000 net new TV customers and 107,000 new customers to HD. A record 642,000 customers connected their Sky+HD boxes to broadband in the quarter.
News categories: BSkyB, Digital TV, Ireland, Multiscreen, OTT, Personal Video Recorder, Results, Satellite, Set Top Box, Subscribers, UK
Global 3DTV sales to increase 166% by 2017
Sep 25, 2013 – Consumer uptake of 3D hardware continues apace, with the market on track to achieve 157.7 million 3DTV sales in 2017, up from a forecast of 59.3 million for 2013, according to a new report from Futuresource Consulting.
News categories: Futuresource Consulting, Sam Leech, 3D, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV
Discovery Channel has widest distribution in Europe
Sep 11, 2013 – The Discovery Channel is the widest distributed network in Europe, according to a new report from Digital TV Research covering 270 international channels/networks across 212 major operators in 43 EMEA countries.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Digital TV, Europe, Market Research
Digital TV Group launches the UK UHD Forum
Aug 1, 2013 – The Digital TV Group has announced the launch of the UK UHD Forum. The group will co-ordinate UK requirements to build a knowledge base for the future interoperability of Ultra HD, and will work hand-in-hand with FAME and other European standards organisations.
News categories: Digital TV Group, Digital TV, Set Top Box, Smart TV, UK
BRIC countries keep Pay-TV market growing despite cable subscriber losses
Jul 30, 2013 – Infonetics Research has released excerpts from its latest Pay TV Services and Subscribers report. Cable makes up the largest portion of the pay-TV market, but this will change by 2017 when satellite grows to more than 40% of total pay-TV revenue.
News categories: Infonetics, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite
BSkyB launches £9.99 NOW TV HDMI dongle
Jul 26, 2013 – The £9.99 (~$15) NOW TV Box measures 84mm x 84mm x 24mm, plugs into a TV set via HDMI, and connects to the internet over the user's wireless home network. NOW TV offers terrestrial catch-up, pay-as-you-go sport and movies on demand.
News categories: BSkyB, Digital TV, OTT, Set Top Box, UK
BSkyB results for the twelve months ended 30 June 2013
Jul 26, 2013 – British Sky Broadcasting Group PLC (LSE:BSY) has released unaudited results for the twelve months ended 30 June 2013. Sky added another 117,000 HD customers and 122,000 Sky Go Extra customers in the quarter.
News categories: BSkyB, Ireland, OTT, Personal Video Recorder, Results, Satellite, Subscribers, UK
- Mongolia's MNBC migrates to DVB-T2 with Thomson video headend
- Qualy TV DTH arrives in Costa Rica
- Elliptic Technologies announces hardware-enforced content protection for Microsoft® PlayReady®
- Marvell unveils SoC for Google Services for Smart TVs with Hisense
- Bosnia's m:tel to upgrade IPTV service with Motorola
- LG to incorporate Qualcomm's AllJoyn into Smart TV platform
- Rostelecom IPTV subscribers reach 2 million
- Sigma Designs announces turn-key hybrid set top box with Ginga
- SMiT launches CI+ 1.3 VoD CAM into Netherlands market
- INSIDE Secure protects premium mobile entertainment for Sky Italia
- Sequans and Huawei collaborate to advance LTE broadcast technology
- SmarDTV CI Plus modules for RCS & RDS pay TV in Romania and Hungary
- ATSC establishes Candidate Standard for Interactive TV
- Portugal adds 13,000 pay TV subscribers in 3Q 2013
- Smart TV market worth $265 billion by 2016
- New Zealand switches off analogue TV signal
- LOVEFiLM launches streaming application on PlayStation 4
- Embratel acquires Net Serviços in Brazil
- Com Hem subscribers down 2,700 in 3Q 2013
- Dutch digital TV subscribers grow to 6.6 million in Q3