OTT Video Providers Jockeying For Position As Market Heats UpTuesday, June 29th, 2010
Industry participants in the over-the-top (OTT) video market are positioning themselves for what is anticipated to be a high-growth market with multi-billion dollar revenue streams, reports In-Stat. Companies such as Netflix, Blockbuster, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, YouTube, and Hulu are all vying for a piece of the action.
“OTT video is happening now, with over 37 million broadband households in the US downloading online video content,” says Keith Nissen, In-Stat analyst. “The growing adoption of both OTT video consumption and web-enabled consumer electronics promises to further expand the opportunity content producers and OTT retailers.”
“Over-the-top” refers to any video content delivered over a broadband connection from a source other than the network service provider.
Recent research by In-Stat found the following:
- US broadband households that view OTT video will grow from 38 million in 2009 to 81 million by 2014.
- Revenue from OTT video will more than quadruple by 2014 as it approaches $20 billion.
- A primary success criteria for OTT video services is access to unique, first-run TV and movie content.
- Over one-third of the 18-24 year old adult households stream full-length OTT video on a regular basis, compared to less than 10% of adult households in the over 45 year-old age brackets.
The research, “The US Market for Over-the-Top Video Services” (#IN1004653CM), covers the US market for over-the-top video. It includes:
- Examination of the over-the-top video market, including drivers and challenges.
- Results from a recent In-Stat Residential Technology Survey of US broadband households.
- 2009-2014 Web-Enabled Device Embedded Base Forecast by Broadband Household, and 2009-2014 Forecast of US Broadband Households That Download and Stream OTT Video.
- OTT video supplier profiles: Amazon, Apple iTunes, Best Buy, Blockbuster, Digaboo, Film Fresh, Hulu, MicroSoft Marketplace, Netflix, RedBox, Sezmi, Sony, Telcos, Vudu, YouTube, ZapMyTV, and ZillionTV.
For a free sample of the report and more information contact Elaine Potter, email@example.com; (480) 483-4441