Sagemcom selects Broadcom for World Cup in Ultra HDWednesday, July 2nd, 2014
Broadcom and Sagemcom Enable Live Ultra HD Broadcast of 2014 World Cup Events
- Collaboration Delivers 4K Live Action Viewing to Fans Throughout Latin America
IRVINE, Calif. — Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a global innovation leader in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications, today announced that Sagemcom, one of the world leaders in broadband terminals and European supplier of digital set-top boxes, has selected Broadcom’s BCM7445 video decoder and BCM7252 system-on-a-chip (SoCs) to enable a live broadcast of select 2014 World Cup events in Ultra High Definition (Ultra HD).
The 2014 World Cup is among the world’s first sporting events to be filmed and broadcast in Ultra HD TV technology. At 4x the resolution of today’s 1080p HD displays, Ultra HD technology captures much more nuance and detail, providing fans with a greatly enhanced life-like viewing experience. Sagemcom’s integration of the BCM7445 and BCM7252 for this Ultra HD broadcast delivers display resolution speeds of 60 frames per second (4Kp60) and the 10-bit BT2020 color standard, which provides 2x the speed and heightened color gradation for the most realistic on-screen experience.
Ultra HD filming, transmission and broadcast requires a significant increase in bandwidth. Broadcom’s Ultra HD video decoder solutions, with integrated high-efficiency video codec (HEVC) technology, reduces bandwidth usage by 50 percent, allowing users to download Ultra HD content in half the time.
- FAST channels redefining premium video distribution
- Frontier adds integrated billing for YouTube TV
- M2A Media to debut encoder-based ad insertion at 2023 NAB Show
- GTPL Hathway partners with Broadpeak for OTT service delivery
- ZEE5 now available on Astro's Ultra and Ulti boxes
- Emitel to pilot dynamic ad insertion system in Poland