TiVo unveils DVR with 24 TB of storage capacityMonday, September 8th, 2014
So BIG, It’s Almost Inappropriate — TiVo® Unveils Largest Consumer DVR Ever Made With 24 TB of Storage Capacity for Over 26,000 Hours of TV
- TiVo Mega Can Record Over Three Years of TV
SAN JOSE, CA — TiVo Inc. (NASDAQ: TIVO), a leader in the advanced television entertainment market, today unveiled the biggest DVR it has ever made, TiVo Mega. TiVo Mega boasts 24 terabytes of recording space, the equivalent of over 26,000 hours of TV. The whole home capable TiVo Mega marries unprecedented storage with the all-in-one approach to live, recorded, on-demand, streaming services and web-based television that gives consumers what they want on any screen, wherever they are.
“Size matters. People hate being forced to delete cool stuff from their DVR before they want to or finding a TV show they had recorded is now gone. Now, with TiVo Mega they can always know their show or movie is still there to watch later,” said Ira Bahr, CMO at TiVo. “TiVo Mega offers more than twelve times the storage of any cable or satellite DVR. TiVo Mega is the solution for the power user who wants to record everything. We salute you and enjoy!”
A rack-mountable appliance with 30 times the capacity of most cable or satellite DVRs and user-swappable drives, TiVo Mega features six tuners that can record a multitude of content simultaneously and support the TiVo Mini for the ultimate whole-home solution. Users can stream live TV or recordings to their smartphones and tablets and even download programming to enjoy for offline playback.
TiVo Mega Features Include:
- Storage: 24 Terabyte RAID 5 HDD
- Six tuners
- Streaming live and recorded TV to smartphones and tablets anywhere: Built-in stream transcoding
- Multi-room: Whole home capable
- 26,000 hours of SD recording space, approximately 4,000 hours of HD recording space
- Content navigation:
- Universal search across cable, video-on-demand and web apps including Netflix and YouTube
- “What to Watch” provides a personalized dashboard with recommendations for what’s on now, next and tonight
- Collections offers editorial collections based on current events or categories including new fall TV, Shark Week, Holiday, Emmy or Oscar winners, etc.
- Channel guide with filters to enable users to get to what they want as quickly as possible
- Free application for smartphones and tablets: manage your DVR with your phone or tablet through remote Season Pass® management, a recording scheduler that allows you to add or remove recordings and enhanced WishList® management
- Remote: TiVo Slide Pro Remote included, Full QWERTY-format slide out keyboard makes text entry fast and easy and RF signal for maximum power removes line-of-sight requirements
- Networking: Ethernet and MoCA
- Hardware configuration: Hot user-swappable drives, offering protection from data loss
TiVo Mega is on display this week at CEDIA EXPO 2014. For more details a demo of its capabilities, visit TiVo Booth #570 at the Colorado Convention Center.
Pricing & Availability
TiVo Mega is expected to be available in retail during the first quarter of 2015. Final pricing will be announced in coming months, but is expected to be retailed at approximately $5,000, including product lifetime service.
- Atmosic SoC approved for Google Android TV remote controls
- Bell Media unveils new and expanded ad solutions
- Irdeto ensures integrity of apps running on OSNtv
- Thales and Netskrt Systems collaborate on inflight VOD streaming
- Samsung chip to power Hyundai in-vehicle infotainment
- Radio Television Hong Kong selects Irdeto multi-DRM solution