Technicolor to collaborate with LG on Ultra HD and HDRMonday, January 4th, 2016
Technicolor to collaborate with LG Electronics on next-generation Ultra HD and HDR video
- Strategic Initiatives Build on UHD Alliance ‘Ultra HD Premium’ Specs
PARIS, France — Technicolor (Euronext Paris: TCH, OTCQX: TCLRY) today announced a new strategic initiative with LG Electronics to collaborate on delivering new content experiences to the home that meet the new UHD Alliance content and display specifications and push the boundaries of video imaging.
“This is a powerful joint initiative. Technicolor brings a thorough expertise in imaging acquired since its inception with the creation of color for cinema, extensive Hollywood relationships and production facilities around the world. This complements LG’s leadership in bringing innovative technologies – like OLED 4K TVs optimized for displaying HDR – to homes and to premium content creators,” said Dr. Nandhu Nandhakumar, senior vice president, LG Technology Center of America.
The companies already work together closely on these issues as fellow board members of the UHD Alliance. This announcement builds on their existing collaboration and marks a commitment to intensify their joint efforts in 2016 and beyond.
Early elements of the expanded Technicolor-LG collaboration are on display for the first time this week at CES® 2016. For example, the two companies will screen never-before-seen HDR-graded content from iconic and multi-Oscar award winning writer/director/producer Francis Ford Coppola.
“Since the invention of color film Technicolor has stood for lustrous, clear, beautiful images. A partnership between Technicolor and LG’s OLED technology will bring the magic of my movies to the home as they were meant to be experienced” said Coppola.
Also at CES 2016, LG’s booth will showcase Technicolor-created HDR content and content that was encoded using Technicolor’s HDR delivery solution. Technicolor’s private meeting suites in the Venetian Hotel will feature LG’s new 2016 HDR OLED 4K TVs, which is among the first displays to be certified by the UHD Alliance as “Ultra HD Premium” devices.
Looking ahead, LG and Technicolor intend to expand their alliance to:
- Optimize Technicolor’s video enhancement and HDR delivery technologies for inclusion in LG devices and displays.
- Ensure new LG OLED TVs meet the high quality standards of the creative content community and can serve as Technicolor’s consumer HDR reference model.
- Integrate LG OLED TVs into Technicolor’s post production facilities around the world, where premium movie makers and TV show producers create, view and approve content prior to distribution.
“LG and Technicolor are collaborating to extend the wonder of next-generation video experiences to more consumers by focusing on excellence in each stage of the delivery chain — from content creation to distribution and rendering the very best images on the very best displays,” said Mark Turner, Technicolor’s vice president for business development and strategic partnerships.
- Tenstorrent to build AI and RISC-V chiplets with LG for Smart TVs
- DISH brings its linear TV to the digital ad marketplace
- health tv launches first FAST channel with Amagi
- Number of UK SVOD homes falls in 1Q 2023
- inext signs Moldova distribution contract with DIGIMAX
- EL PAIS begins live broadcasts on its FAST channel with The Channel Store