Viu OTT TV launches in IndonesiaMonday, May 30th, 2016
Viu, a PCCW Media company, Launches OTT Service Viu to Entertain Indonesia
- After Major Success in Malaysia, India, Hong Kong and Singapore, Freemium Video-On-Demand Streaming Service Viu Now Brings Best of Asian Entertainment to Consumers in Indonesia
- Korean Shows from the Four Major Broadcasters in Korea — KBS, CJ E&M, SBS, and MBC — will be Available in English within 8 hours and Bahasa Indonesia within 24 hours of Airing in Korea
- Strategic Partnerships with IndiHome Fiber by Telkom Indonesia, Telkomsel, and Samsung Fuel Market Momentum
- Dr. Ilham Akbar Habibie Joins the Vuclip Team as Advisor
JAKARTA — Vuclip, a PCCW Media company, and the leading premium video-on-demand service provider for emerging markets, launches Viu today in Indonesia. Viu is an over-the-top (OTT) video-on-demand (VOD) service that has already achieved major success in Malaysia, India, Hong Kong and Singapore. To amplify its efforts to deliver the best of Asian entertainment throughout Indonesia, Vuclip has entered into strategic partnerships with IndiHome Fiber, Telkomsel and Samsung. These partnerships enable Viu subscribers to experience highly engaging and entertaining content that’s delivered at the fastest speeds, through the most reliable networks, on a variety of devices, at the most competitive rates available.
Viu highlights include:
- 15,000 hours of Best of Asian content including Master of Revenge, The Royal Gambler, The Flower in Prison, Another Miss Oh, Descendants of the Sun, as well as series from Taiwan and a wide selection of top movies from Hong Kong and Bollywood
- Indonesian sinetrons and movies from MD Entertainment and Multivision Plus
- Select Korean drama and variety shows from the four major Korean broadcasters — KBS, CJ E&M, SBS, and MBC – simulcast as they are released in Korea with subtitles in English within eight hours and in Bahasa Indonesia within 24 hours after airing in Korea
- Offline viewing that delivers content in consumers’ pockets whenever and wherever they want
- Ad free experience available through the premium version
For IndiHome Fiber-to-the-Home (FTH) subscribers, Viu content will be delivered through Telkom’s bundled speed plans on the FTH network, ensuring the best market speeds through a variety of affordable data packages.
“What Viu brings to Indonesia is unique with its approach to delivering the best of Asian content to entertain us all. We’re pleased to embark on this strategic partnership with Vuclip to bring to our IndiHome by Telkom subscribers an affordable way to enjoy this content,” said Dian Rachmawan, Consumer Service Director Telkom.
Telkomsel and Vuclip have strategically partnered for Indonesians to enjoy amazing Viu content through the highly reliable Telkomsel broadband networks, and special bundled data package pricing for consumers.
“The strategic partnership that we established with Vuclip for Viu is to enrich the library of digital content delivered to our subscribers. The presence of Viu supported by Telkomsel’s fast 4G LTE Internet service will give our subscribers the best mobile digital lifestyle, especially in enjoying the latest Asian entertainment,” said Ririn Widaryani, Vice President Prepaid & Broadband Marketing at Telkomsel.
Through Viu’s exclusive device partnership with Samsung, Samsung Galaxy users with select smartphones and tablets can access all Viu content when they activate the “Viu partner offer” via their Samsung Galaxy devices.
“Mobile devices have driven internet growth in Indonesia. The number of Samsung Galaxy users who enjoy video streaming has also shown significant growth. We are very excited that Viu offers mobile entertainment content that’s suitable to our Samsung Galaxy users’ lifestyles. Through our partnership, our Samsung Galaxy users with selected Samsung Galaxy models will be pampered with the latest Asian serials and other unlimited contents for 12 months,” said Denny Galant, Head of Product Marketing IT & Mobile Samsung Electronics Indonesia.
“We are very excited to bring Viu to Indonesians. Today marks a very important milestone in our journey and would like to extend sincere appreciation and thanks to all our employees and partners who helped make this happen. However, this is just the start and we look forward to entertaining millions of Indonesians through our fresh and exciting best of Asian content and high quality service. We are confident that the audience here will welcome Viu just as those in Malaysia, Singapore and other markets have,” said Nickhil Jakatdar, Founder and CEO, Vuclip said.
Dr. Jakatdar continued, “Also, With Dr. Habibie’s illustrious career, deep expertise in technology and regional connections, he will be invaluable to us as an advisor. We are thrilled that he is joining the Vuclip team in this strategic role.”
Viu, built on Vuclip’s patented Dynamic Adaptive Transcoding technology™, leverages Vuclip’s eight-year history of providing streaming video on demand entertainment experiences to emerging markets. These eight years have provided a wealth of consumer insights, technology leadership, as well as a best in class approach to content editorial and curation for ease of discovery and consumption.
Pricing & Availability
Viu launches in Indonesia as a freemium service, with consumers having access to thousands of hours of content for free. Consumers can also subscribe to a premium portion of the service, which includes an ad-free experience, as well as access to additional premium content for IDR 30,000 after a 30-day free trial.
Viu is accessible via mobile phones and tablets as well as desktops.