Frontier to test 4K Ultra HD content on SES platformMonday, February 27th, 2017
Frontier Communications Joins Milestone Ultra HD Trials with SES
- Frontier to test 4K Ultra HD content on SES platform aimed at accelerating Ultra HD delivery to homes across the U.S.
LUXEMBOURG — SES S.A. (Euronext Paris and Luxembourg Stock Exchange: SESG) today announced Frontier Communications Corporation has begun testing 4K Ultra HD content delivery using SES’s fully-managed Ultra HD distribution platform.
Frontier is the latest multichannel video programming distributor (MVPD) to join SES’s milestone trials aimed at accelerating Ultra HD delivery to homes across North America. SES has a growing number of cable and television system operators currently evaluating the satellite-based Ultra HD solution in an effort to provide the Ultra HD programming to their subscribers this year.
SES’s managed Ultra HD platform is delivered over dedicated satellite bandwidth, which provides a much higher quality viewer experience compared to current Internet-delivered 4K offerings susceptible to bottlenecks, buffering and network congestion. Currently home to nine linear Ultra HD channels, the platform provides the largest bundle of Ultra HD programming in North America.
“We are optimistic that SES’s innovative, pre-packaged Ultra HD solution will allow for a smooth transition of Ultra HD delivery to Frontier subscriber homes nationwide,” said Steve Ward, SVP of Video Technology & Content for Frontier Communications.
“MVPDs across the country have been extremely impressed with our Ultra HD channel lineup and how satellite is enabling them to leap frog to the latest transmission technologies in order to accelerate the delivery of Ultra HD to their subscriber homes,” explained Steve Corda, Vice President of Business Development for SES in North America.
- Bitmovin and MainStreaming partner to deliver broadcast-quality video streams
- New products and more countries for Amazon-built TV range
- Pay TV subscribers in Eastern Europe to fall to 73 million in 2028
- VIZIO selects Whip Media for WatchFree+ ad revenue reporting
- Qwilt partners with Telefónica to provide CDN services in Spain
- Ateme launches 'audience-aware' streaming solution