Channel 4 to use Sky's AdSmart technologyTuesday, September 17th, 2019
Sky and Channel 4 broaden industry-leading partnership
- Channel 4 to use Sky’s AdSmart technology to deliver fully-targeted, addressable ads across Channel 4 Sales’ linear channels for the first time
- Multi-year deal sees Formula 1® highlights and British Grand Prix continue on Channel 4, while even more Channel 4 up-front box-sets will be made available to Sky and NOW TV customers
- Multi-year carriage deal agreed including further expansion of All 4 with more box sets for Sky customers
- Commitment from both Sky and Channel 4 to continue technological innovation for viewers
Sky and Channel 4 today announce a new, broader, strategic partnership spanning content, technology and innovation. The multi-year deal builds on the industry-leading partnership announced by the two broadcasters last year and will further benefit both consumers and the broader industry.
For the first time, Channel 4 will use Sky’s ground-breaking AdSmart technology to deliver fully-targeted, addressable ads across its portfolio of linear channels (including UKTV and BT Sport) to both Sky and Virgin Media households. AdSmart allows brands to show different ads to different households watching the same programme, enabling advertisers to target campaigns based on thousands of combinations of demographic, location, interest and lifestyle attributes.
Following a successful 2019 season, highlights of Formula 1® and live coverage of the British Grand Prix will continue to be broadcast on Channel 4 as part of a wider, multi-year content deal. Additionally, Sky and NOW TV customers will be able to enjoy even more up-front box set stacks from Channel 4, meaning they will be able to binge all episodes of selected Channel 4 series before they are broadcast.
Channel 4 and Sky have agreed a multi-year carriage deal renewal which includes broadening All 4 to offer Sky customers ‘All 4 Exclusive’ programming, as part of an offer which will have more box sets than ever before and extending access to Walter Presents series.
Looking ahead, as Sky and Channel 4 continue to innovate together for UK audiences, Channel 4’s brands and content will feature in all of Sky’s existing and future TV products.
This strategic partnership builds on increasing collaboration between Sky and Channel 4 which, most recently, saw the two broadcasters share rights to the final of the Cricket World Cup, enabling the entire nation to celebrate a once-in-a-generation moment of England winning the World Cup on home soil.
Alex Mahon, Chief Executive, Channel 4 said: “This landmark new partnership with Sky is a fantastic example of how broadcasters can work together to extend the reach of our content and innovate for the benefit of both viewers and advertisers. I’m particularly thrilled that we are extending our collaboration with Sky on Formula 1, which secures highlights of all races and live coverage of the British Grand Prix on free-to-air television.”
Stephen van Rooyen, CEO UK and Ireland, Sky said: “We’ve long thought that collaboration benefits both consumers and the industry – today’s news does exactly that. Together, Sky and Channel 4 will connect their viewers to more of the content they love, while bringing brands better ways to reach audiences. We look forward to working even more closely with Channel 4 and, we hope, other British broadcasters to bring more innovation and content to consumers over the coming years.”
- Bitmovin and MainStreaming partner to deliver broadcast-quality video streams
- New products and more countries for Amazon-built TV range
- Pay TV subscribers in Eastern Europe to fall to 73 million in 2028
- VIZIO selects Whip Media for WatchFree+ ad revenue reporting
- Qwilt partners with Telefónica to provide CDN services in Spain
- Ateme launches 'audience-aware' streaming solution