Magnite to acquire SpotX from RTLFriday, February 5th, 2021
Magnite to Acquire SpotX
- Deal Creates Largest Independent CTV & Video Advertising Platform
- Full year 2020 combined company estimated non-GAAP net revenue would have been $350 million on a pro forma basis(1)(2)
- Combined company Connected TV (CTV) & video net revenue would have represented approximately 67% of total company preliminary non-GAAP pro forma net revenue(1)(2) in Q4 2020
- On a combined basis, the CTV business would have nearly tripled to $42 million in Q4 2020 versus Magnite standalone, or approximately 34% of Q4 2020 preliminary non-GAAP pro forma net revenue(1)(2)
- The non-CTV video business of the combined company would have represented approximately 33% of Q4 2020 preliminary non-GAAP pro forma net revenue(1)(2)
- SpotX total preliminary non-GAAP net revenue(1)(2) for 2020 was $116 million, of which $67 million was CTV
- Purchase price consists of $560 million in cash and 14 million shares of Magnite stock, for a total of $1.17 billion based on the closing price of Magnite stock as of February 4, 2021
- Magnite’s preliminary results for Q4 2020 include
- GAAP Revenue of $82 million, up 69% on an as-reported basis, and up 20% on a pro forma basis from Q4 2019, with CTV revenue of $15.3 million, up 53% on a pro forma basis(1)
- Net income of $5.8 million and Adjusted EBITDA(3) of $29.9 million, representing a 36% adjusted EBITDA margin(4)
LOS ANGELES — Magnite (Nasdaq: MGNI), the largest independent sell-side advertising platform, today announced that it has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire SpotX from RTL Group for $1.17 billion in cash and stock. SpotX is one of the leading platforms shaping CTV and video advertising globally.
Together, Magnite and SpotX will create the largest independent CTV and video advertising platform in the programmatic marketplace. The combined company will provide better support for sellers, create an alternative to the CTV advertising market’s largest players, and greatly improve scale and efficiency for buyers.
“Sellers have been looking for a scaled independent alternative to the giant companies who dominate the CTV marketplace,” said Michael Barrett, President & CEO of Magnite. “The combination of Magnite and SpotX will make this a reality by bringing together the best CTV technologies and teams at a critical time. Ad-supported CTV is just beginning to draw budgets from linear TV and we will be well-positioned to participate in the strongest segment of industry growth for the foreseeable future.”
“As CTV flourishes and the media industry continues to turn to programmatic, there is a huge opportunity for an independent scaled company to offer the single most comprehensive technology in the market,” said Mike Shehan, Co-Founder and CEO at SpotX. “We built SpotX with the mission of becoming the leading global video advertising platform, and our goal is now coming to fruition with Magnite. I am thrilled about what we will achieve together.”
Thomas Rabe, CEO of RTL Group, added: “We are excited about the combination of SpotX and Magnite, two leading CTV advertising providers. This transaction allows for significant value creation and upside potential for the parties, sellers and advertisers in the growing CTV market. We look forward to participating in the future success of SpotX and Magnite as shareholders in the combined entity.”
Together, Magnite and SpotX will serve some of the world’s leading programmers, broadcasters, platforms and device manufacturers, including A+E Networks, Crackle Plus, The CW Network, Discovery, Disney/Hulu, Electronic Arts, Fox Corporation, fuboTV, Microsoft, Newsy, Philo TV, Pluto TV, Roku, Samsung, Sling TV, Tubi, ViacomCBS, Vizio, Vudu, WarnerMedia and Xumo.
Magnite’s expanded technical capabilities and teams will be able to move more quickly and cater to a broader set of client needs, including sellers that are newer to the world of programmatic and those who have mature, programmatic-only operations. Likewise, the acquisition will make it easier for brands and agencies to buy premium CTV inventory at scale with standard features and a single, addressable pool of audiences.
Magnite is targeting in excess of $35 million in run-rate operating cost synergies, with more than half of the synergies realized within the first year of combined operations.
Magnite plans to finance the transaction with cash on hand, 14 million shares issued to RTL Group and committed financing from Goldman Sachs. The company expects the transaction to close in the second quarter of 2021, subject to receipt of regulatory approvals and satisfaction of customary closing conditions. Until the transaction closes, both companies will continue to operate independently.
Goldman Sachs and LUMA Partners acted as financial advisors to Magnite and Goldman Sachs is providing committed financing for the transaction. Gibson Dunn provided legal counsel to Magnite.
Magnite will discuss additional details about the transaction and Q4 2020 results on its Q4 2020 earnings conference call on Wednesday, February 24th.
1. Combined pro forma non-GAAP net revenue includes (i) preliminary unaudited non-GAAP net revenue for SpotX for 2020 or Q4, as applicable; (ii) preliminary unaudited non-GAAP net revenue for Magnite for 2020 or Q4, as applicable; and (iii) with respect to full year 2020, Telaria’s unaudited non-GAAP net revenue for Q1 2020 (since the Telaria merger closed on April 1, 2020, and therefore Telaria Q1 2020 results are not represented in Magnite’s full year 2020 reported results).
2. Non-GAAP net revenue is a non-GAAP financial measure. Please see the discussion in the section called “Non-GAAP Financial Measures” and the reconciliations included at the end of this press release.
3. Adjusted EBITDA is a non-GAAP financial measure. Please see the discussion in the section called “Non-GAAP Financial Measures” and the reconciliations included at the end of this press release.
4. Adjusted EBITDA margin is calculated as Adjusted EBITDA divided by GAAP revenue. A reconciliation of net loss to Adjusted EBITDA is included at the end of this press release.