UEI unveils low-power chip platform with energy harvesting for TV remotesThursday, January 6th, 2022
Lifetime Battery Solution: UEI Unveils EXTREME LOW POWER Chip platform with Energy Harvesting Capability to Power Advanced TV Remote Controls
LAS VEGAS — Universal Electronics Inc. (UEI) (NASDAQ: UEIC), the global leader in wireless universal control solutions for home entertainment and smart home devices, has unveiled its new family of QuickSet®-certified connectivity silicon products using Extreme Low-Power, energy-harvesting and high-performance technology, in Las Vegas today at CES® 2022. As the global leader in entertainment and smart home control technologies, UEI is committed to help transition the world towards a more sustainable future, by reducing primary battery waste throughout the life of the product, which in turn reduces the cumulative CO2 footprint. The new SOCs also offer significantly more processing power to deliver new features that enhance the overall user experience.
Benefits of UEI’s Extreme Low-Power SOC platform:
- More compute: the processor architecture and memory optimization that delivers up to 2.5 times more processing power than current generation SOCs. This allows for more power-hungry features without compromising on battery life.
- More battery life: the SOC delivers up to 80% lower power consumption so that batteries can last up to 10 times longer, depending on remote architecture, due to adaptive scaling of supply voltage.
- Integrated energy harvesting: the SOC supports an integrated energy harvesting circuitry that recovers energy already present in consumer homes, such as natural and artificial lights, radio frequencies from wireless devices, and other energy sources.
- Superior power management: supports a wide range of energy storage and charging options with its highly configurable, ultra-efficient Power Management Unit (PMU) that enables true self-powering.
“We are proud of the success with our previous generation of wireless SoCs now powering over 180M connected products, enabling advanced universal control and connectivity on a range of products. We are excited to bring sustainability and increased performance by expanding our portfolio, that can further elevate the potential of our customers’ products,” explains UEI Senior Vice President of Product & Technology Arsham Hatambeiki. “We are focused on the energy as the currency for connected devices in the home, effectively eliminating the need to replace batteries in future products and creating a frictionless and enhanced user experience for consumers.”
In addition, end-to-end secure implementation is assured with security features such as ARM TrustZone, secured boot, secured execute, secured debug, and PUF memory architecture.
At launch, UEI will offer two products in this silicon family – UE961 offers the full capabilities of the extreme low-power silicon with support for Bluetooth LE connectivity that is Bluetooth 5.2 compliant and UE962 which adds support for the built-in energy harvesting capabilities. In its next phase, UEI will launch a multi-protocol version with added 802.15.4.
Visit us as CES 2022 Booth #52124 to learn more about UEI’s Extreme Low-Power, energy harvesting connectivity silicon family of products.
Links: Universal Electronics
- Bitmovin and MainStreaming partner to deliver broadcast-quality video streams
- New products and more countries for Amazon-built TV range
- Pay TV subscribers in Eastern Europe to fall to 73 million in 2028
- VIZIO selects Whip Media for WatchFree+ ad revenue reporting
- Qwilt partners with Telefónica to provide CDN services in Spain
- Ateme launches 'audience-aware' streaming solution