Garmin unveils Unified Cabin Experience at CES 2023Wednesday, January 4th, 2023
Garmin unveils its Unified Cabin Experience at CES 2023
- In-vehicle solution with personalized entertainment zones intuitively connects wireless passenger devices to real-time game streams, videos, music and more
LAS VEGAS — Garmin (NYSE: GRMN) will demonstrate its latest in-cabin solutions for the Automotive OEM (original equipment manufacturer) market at CES 2023 with an emphasis on technologies that unify multiple domains, touchscreens and wireless devices on a single SoC (system on chip). Featuring four infotainment touchscreens, instrument cluster, cabin monitoring system, wireless headphones, wireless gaming controllers, smartphones, and numerous entertainment options—all powered by a single Garmin multi-domain computing module—the demonstration addresses several key technical and user experience challenges for next generation multi-screen systems running on the Android Automotive operating system.
“Garmin’s CES demo highlights technological innovations that advance the capabilities of Android Automotive OS for delivering a multi-zone personalized experience that consumers are expecting,” said Matt Munn, Garmin Automotive OEM managing director. “There are enormous opportunities to integrate many types of features and technologies into a single, unified system, but our connected in-cabin experience goes beyond system integration with innovative new features and an improved user experience.”
The system is customizable for each passenger and easy to operate, utilizing UWB (Ultra-Wideband) positioning technology to automatically connect wireless devices to the appropriate display. A cabin monitoring camera identifies and unlocks each passenger’s personal user interface profile, enabling occupants to enjoy multiple personalized entertainment options including cloud-based blockbuster console/PC games that can be played over 5G connectivity, on-board games, and multiple streaming video platforms—all from some of the most popular names. With the new Cabin App feature, passengers can locate connected devices, control other displays and share video and audio content across multiple passenger zones.
Garmin would like to recognize the following OEM providers for their contributions to the Unified Cabin Experience:
- In-cabin sensing capabilities: Xperi’s DTS AutoSense™ platform uses advanced machine learning and a single camera to enable safety and experience features such as seat occupancy (including body pose), hands-on-wheel, activity and seatbelt detection, driver attention zones, driver distraction or occupant recognition.
- Audio streaming: Xperi’s DTS AutoStage™ hybrid radio solution provides a richer, more immersive radio listening experience. This feature automatically switches between a station’s over-the-air radio signal to its IP stream when traveling in and out of range, as well as providing station metadata, album art and more.
- Navigation: Mapbox enabled Garmin to accelerate the delivery of this demo in a fraction of the time. Mapbox Dash combines the company’s strengths in navigation, search and visualization, including AI and traffic data. This integration provides beautifully rendered and easily customizable interactive maps across all five displays of the system. The Garmin Unified Cabin Experience is also interoperable with other navigation systems.
- Embedded gaming: Atari integration transforms the entire vehicle into an arcade, allowing for family-friendly gaming without a data connection.
- Embedded software solutions: BlackBerry QNX Hypervisor and Neutrino RTOS incorporates best-in-class BlackBerry security technologies that safeguard users against system malfunctions, malware and cybersecurity breaches. These provide the necessary technology to power the industry’s next generation of products, while also supporting 64-bit ARMv8 computing platforms and Intel x86-64 architecture.
Garmin will also be showing products in production for several of our OEM customers including BMW, Toyota, Honda and Ford Motor Company at CES 2023 in the West Hall, Booth #3641.
Garmin Automotive OEM has cultivated key relationships with leading automobile manufacturers such as BMW Group, Daimler, Ford, Honda, Toyota, Geely and Yamaha to be the provider of a variety of hardware and software solutions for their vehicles. These range from embedded computing modules and infotainment systems that provide a broad range of functionality, to integrated camera solutions, embedded navigation solutions, and precise positioning technology solutions. Garmin Auto OEM solutions support not only the infotainment system in the vehicle, but also key advanced driver-assistance systems (ADAS) functionality as well.
- CDNetworks powers VSTV K+ OTT streaming in Vietnam
- 24i and Amagi partner to enable rapid launch of streaming services
- Net Insight and Skyline partner on live video workflows
- Mixed fortunes for pay TV in the Asia Pacific region
- Evolution Digital integrates OpenSync with an Android TV set-top box
- ARF calls for move away from TV households as basis of TV measurement