RTL to broadcast in MPEG-4 in StuttgartWednesday, February 11th, 2009
STUTTGART — From mid-2009, RTL, VOX, Super RTL and RTL II are expected to begin broadcasting via DVB-T in the Stuttgart region using MPEG-4 compression. This will be the first time that MPEG-4 has been used for terrestrial transmission in Germany. New set-top boxes supporting the advanced compression standard are expected to be available around mid-year.
The package will include the two pay-TV channels RTL Crime and Passion, another first as pay TV channels have not been broadcast on DTT in Germany so far. The channels will be broadcast free-of-charge for the first year, however.
Encryption is reported to be being provided by Conax.
- CDNetworks powers VSTV K+ OTT streaming in Vietnam
- 24i and Amagi partner to enable rapid launch of streaming services
- Net Insight and Skyline partner on live video workflows
- Mixed fortunes for pay TV in the Asia Pacific region
- Evolution Digital integrates OpenSync with an Android TV set-top box
- ARF calls for move away from TV households as basis of TV measurement