ATEME participates in HEVC UHD live satellite broadcastWednesday, June 11th, 2014
ATEME Participates in Successful HEVC UHD Live Broadcast via Satellite
- TITAN Live Used by France Televisions, the French Tennis Federation and Eutelsat to Encode and Broadcast the 2014 French Open Across Europe
PARIS — ATEME, a global leader in advanced video compression solutions for the broadcast industry, today announced that it successfully demonstrated the power of its carrier-grade video encoding/transcoding product, TITAN Live Any-to-Any, at the 2014 French Open tennis tournament. The success of this live broadcast demonstrates yet another example of ATEME’s innovation in the compression industry, utilizing its next generation TV Head-End to deploy 4K broadcasts using the HEVC codec.
- Demonstrating progressive solutions through key partnerships – ATEME partnered with France Televisions, the French Tennis Federation (FFT) and Eutelsat to broadcast live, via satellite, the 2014 French Open event in Ultra High Definition (3840×2160).
- Providing the first LIVE broadcast via satellite – The 2014 challenge was to be “ON AIR” with a live UHD channel at 50 frames per second from capture to encoding and broadcast for the two week duration of the tournament. Using HEVC, the latest video compression standard, the demonstration solidified ATEME’s ability to ensure full interoperability of UHD delivery over satellite.
- HEVC encoding and broadcasting through TITAN Live Any-to-Any – During the event, TITAN Live received live video feed from the event’s UHD production via its 3G-SDI inputs, encoding with the HEVC codec and delivering a full single 4Kp50 stream below 30Mpbs. The feed was then uplinked on Eutelsat “EUT 5WA” satellite.
- UHD TV sets provide 4K viewing across Europe – ATEME’s long term relationships with TV set and set top box manufacturers ensured interoperability on UHD HEVC decoders and 4K screens. Eutelsat’s unencrypted “ON AIR” satellite UHD channel was received throughout Europe by latest generation UHDTVs with DVB-S2 input. The content was also displayed onsite in the tournament’s “RG Lab” using Panasonic UHD TVs.
- LiveSphere™ captures the event and provides content for final product testing – The event also provided ATEME with the opportunity to capture content via LiveSphere. This groundbreaking 360° video broadcast solution for live entertainment, sporting events and television shows provides an immersive experience for consumers on second screens and will be available to the industry in 2015.
Michel Artieres, founder, president and CEO, ATEME said: “ATEME is committed to the advancement and implementation of UHD and HEVC. By combining our technology with that of our partners, we are extremely proud to have successfully demonstrated a live end-to-end delivery chain at this prestigious two weeks event.”