Smart Home (connected home, home networking) News
KAONMEDIA STB with AI home assistant deployed by Korea Telecom
Feb 22, 2017 – KAONMEDIA's AI-based TV set-top box has been successfully commercialized by Korea Telecom. GiGA Genie, an IP set-top box, provides home assistant and home IoT services alongside TV set-top box features.
News categories: KAONMEDIA, KT Corp, Digital TV, IPTV, Korea, Middleware, Set Top Box, Smart Home
ZTE boosts Big Video convergence at Hebei Mobile
Feb 20, 2017 – ZTE (0763.HK/000063.SZ) has announced that it was chosen to be the exclusive construction provider of the China Mobile Group Hebei Branch (Hebei Mobile) integrated content delivery network (iCDN) and home service smart operation platform.
News categories: ZTE, China Mobile, China, Digital TV, Infrastructure, IPTV, Mobile, OTT, Smart Home
Smart Home automation & monitoring devices to exceed 770m by 2021
Feb 20, 2017 – A report from Juniper Research forecasts that smart home automation and monitoring devices will grow to over 770 million globally by 2021, representing an eleven-fold rise from just 68 million estimated in 2016.
News categories: Juniper Research, Sam Barker, Market Research, Smart Home, Worldwide
Kudelski partners with Sigfox for IoT device security
Feb 14, 2017 – The Kudelski Group (SIX:KUD.S) has announced a partnership with Sigfox to address increasing security expectations in the IoT market. Sigfox partners and customers gain access to the expertise of Kudelski's IoT Security Center of Excellence.
News categories: Kudelski, Sigfox, Andrew Howard, Laetitia Jay, Content Protection, Smart Home, Worldwide
Consumer to represent 63% of IoT applications in 2017
Feb 7, 2017 – Gartner forecasts that 8.4 billion connected things will be in use worldwide in 2017, up 31 percent from 2016, and will reach 20.4 billion by 2020. Total spending on endpoints and services will reach almost $2 trillion in 2017.
News categories: Gartner, Denise Rueb, Market Research, Smart Home, Worldwide
Rogers TV subscribers down 13,000 in 4Q 2016
Jan 26, 2017 – Rogers Communications has announced results for the fourth quarter ended December 31, 2016. Cable revenue increased marginally as internet revenue growth exceeded the decline in Television and Phone revenue.
News categories: Rogers Communications, Cable TV, Canada, Infrastructure, IPTV, Results, Smart Home, Subscribers
Smart home revenues to exceed $190bn by 2021
Jan 10, 2017 – Data from Juniper Research has found that smart home hardware and service take-up in entertainment, automation, healthcare and connected devices is set to drive revenues from $83 billion in 2017 to $195 billion by 2021.
News categories: Juniper Research, Market Research, Smart Home, Worldwide
NVIDIA launches new SHIELD TV streamer
Jan 4, 2017 – NVIDIA has unveiled NVIDIA SHIELD TV, an Android open-platform media streamer built on bleeding-edge visual computing technology that delivers unmatched experiences in streaming, gaming and AI.
News categories: NVIDIA, Google, Jen-Hsun Huang, Sascha Prueter, Canada, CES2017, Digital TV, Europe, Games Console, Middleware, OTT, Semiconductor, Set Top Box, Smart Home, USA
Comcast previews whole-home networking solution at CES2017
Jan 4, 2017 – At CES, Comcast has previewed a new, whole-home networking solution that will provide customers with a simple, fast and intuitive way to control and manage their Digital Home and the devices connected to it.
News categories: Comcast, Chris Satchell, Cable TV, CES2017, Connectivity, CPE, USA
- Gracenote unveils entertainment data products for video, music and sports
- Clear potential for VR headsets after a slow start
- OTT content is driving demand for streaming media devices and smart TVs
- New Zealand Commerce Commission blocks Vodafone/Sky merger
- Eurofins Digital Testing signs strategic agreement with Nokia
- Nokia and AT&T conduct 5G streaming tests with DIRECTV NOW
- KAONMEDIA STB with AI home assistant deployed by Korea Telecom
- DISH Network adds 28,000 pay TV subscribers in 4Q 2016
- Tata Elxsi and Portugal's NOS partner to accelerate RDK deployment
- MobiTV announces $21M in additional funding
- Tru Optik and LiveRamp make first-party data actionable across connected TVs
- Google dominates VR headset shipments
- LG webOS 3.5 first Smart TV with UL cybersecurity certification
- Amazon Fire TV Stick with Alexa Voice Remote arrives in the UK
- KT chooses Conexant Voice Processor for Virtual Assistant Media Hub
- Indonesia's SuperSoccer selects Harmonic for live football streaming
- Australian sales of VR headsets exceed 200,000 units in 2016
- Ericsson and Vodafone study user reactions to broadband delays
- Evolution Digital and Conax provide Multi-DRM security for eVUE-TV
- Anyka Micro selects Allegro DVT multi-format video encoder IP