Smart Home (connected home, home networking) News
Baidu and Skyworth to jointly build AI ecosystem for Smart Homes
Mar 16, 2018 – Baidu (NASDAQ:BIDU) has announced a partnership with Skyworth to develop an in-home ecosystem powered by artificial intelligence. The company also announced an investment in Coocaa, the internet TV brand and intelligent OS for Skyworth’s products.
News categories: Baidu, Skyworth, Robin Li, China, Middleware, Smart Home
Explosive growth for smart speakers continues
Feb 27, 2018 – The smart speaker market took a giant step towards mainstream acceptance in Q4 2017 as aggressive discounting tactics and a wider choice of models, price points and country availability resulted in millions of first time buyers, according to Strategy Analytics.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, David Watkins, David Mercer, Market Research, Smart Home, Worldwide
Sky Q takes another big leap forward
Feb 27, 2018 – Sky has announced the next stage in the development of Sky Q. Greater personalisation based on a household's viewing habits will ensure customers are served content most relevant to them. At the same time, Sky Q's Voice functionality will be extended.
News categories: Sky Group, Spotify, Jeremy Darroch, Stephen van Rooyen, Digital TV, Ireland, Set Top Box, Smart Home, UK
ISSI acquires wired connectivity business of Sigma Designs
Feb 7, 2018 – Integrated Silicon Solution (ISSI) has announced that it has entered into an agreement with Sigma Designs under which ISSI will acquire Sigma Designs Israel S.D.I. Ltd., a leader in G.hn and home connectivity solutions.
News categories: ISSI, Sigma Designs, KY Han, Nadav Katsir, MnA, Semiconductor, Smart Home, Worldwide
Connekt adds voice activation via Google Home to its TV ad engagement platform
Feb 1, 2018 – Connekt is preparing for a remote-less future by adding voice capabilities to its linear TV ad engagement solution. Now, viewers with Google Home devices can interact with brands that are featured on TV and purchase goods using only their voices.
News categories: Connekt, Tripp Boyle, Jason Smith, Advertising, Digital TV, Smart Home, Worldwide
Quantenna provides wireless chipsets for Canal+ France
Jan 29, 2018 – Quantenna (Nasdaq:QTNA) has announced that the Canal+ 'G9' satellite STB integrates Quantenna's 802.11ac 4x4 chipset to distribute video to its companion 'G9-mini' wireless OTT STB. The G9-mini integrates Quantenna's 2x4 dual-band 802.11ac/11n chipset.
News categories: Quantenna, Canal+, David Carroll, Philippe Rivas, Digital TV, France, Satellite, Semiconductor, Set Top Box, Wireless
Optus' Fetch STB now works with Google Assistant
Jan 25, 2018 – Optus has announced that their Fetch set-top box now works with Google Assistant. Using voice activated AI, Fetch customers have the option of hands-free entertainment and can use their voice to search for something to watch, find out what’s on, set recordings, change the channel and more.
News categories: Optus, Ben White, Australia, Digital TV, Set Top Box, Smart Home
Apple's wireless speaker arrives February 9
Jan 23, 2018 – HomePod, the wireless speaker from Apple, arrives on February 9 in the US, UK and Australia. HomePod will arrive in France and Germany this spring. With Siri, HomePod can control a wide range of HomeKit smart home accessories.
News categories: Apple, Philip Schiller, Australia, France, Germany, Smart Home, UK, USA, Wireless
Comcast expands home automation across its entire Xfinity portfolio
Jan 10, 2018 – Comcast has announced plans to significantly expand its home automation capabilities across its entire Xfinity services product portfolio, which includes X1 (TV and voice remote), xFi (WiFi), Xfinity Home (home security), and Xfinity Mobile.
News categories: Comcast, Chris Satchell, Cable TV, CES2018, Digital TV, Smart Home, USA
- Global digital pay TV subscriptions pass one billion in 2017
- America's appetite for streaming video continues to grow
- Tata Sky mobile app’s video experience revived by Accedo
- More than 40 million devices now running RDK
- Intertrust DRM selected for milplusTV streaming service in Japan
- ENENSYS technology deployed in live ATSC 3.0 showcase
- LG partners with NIPA to promote webOS Open Source Edition
- Eastern Europe digital pay TV subscribers to grow 27% between 2017 and 2023
- Mongol TV goes live with Brightcove OTT Flow
- Tencent Video subscriptions reach 62.59 million at end-February 2018
- Baidu and Skyworth to jointly build AI ecosystem for Smart Homes
- Turner consolidates international digital advertising activity
- One in five U.S. broadband households use a digital antenna to access live TV
- Akamai enables Dynamic Ad Insertion in live cricket on SonyLIV
- U.S. set-top box energy efficiency voluntary agreement extended
- SpotX matches media buyers to Pluto TV’s OTT TV service
- ATEME and CANAL+ extend partnership to include UHD premium services
- Traditional U.S. pay TV subscriptions down 3.7% in 2017
- TV ‘cord-cutting’ in Canada slows in 2017
- Live TV viewing has continued to decline among U.S. broadband households