Smart Home (connected home, home networking) News
EE TV first UK STB with Amazon Alexa integration
Aug 17, 2017 – EE TV has become one of the first set top boxes world-wide to offer a skill for Amazon Alexa. EE TV will support Alexa voice control through Amazon Echo or Echo Dot, meaning customers can just ask for information on what's on, or to record their favourite shows.
News categories: EE, Amazon, Max Taylor, Fabrice Rousseau, Digital TV, IPTV, Set Top Box, Smart Home, UK, UX
IHS Markit Analysis: The Wired Interface Technology Market
Aug 14, 2017 – According to IHS Markit, the number of devices that will have at least one external wired interface port is forecast to grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of around 24 percent, from 1.7 billion devices in 2016 to 5.2 billion devices in 2021.
News categories: IHS Markit, Dinesh Kithany, Norman Akhtar, Connectivity, Market Research, Worldwide
Wireless VR set to strain data networks
Aug 8, 2017 – A report from Juniper Research on Virtual Reality forecasts that wireless VR headsets (smartphone-based and standalone) data consumption will grow by over 650% over the next 4 years, from nearly 2,800PB (Petabytes) in 2017 to over 21,000PB in 2021.
News categories: Juniper Research, James Moar, Broadband, Digital TV, Market Research, VR, Wireless, Worldwide
IoT M2M Council unveils program to verify platforms against its benchmarks
Aug 2, 2017 – The IoT M2M Council has announced a program to verify that IoT software platforms comply with open-source benchmarks that it has established. The benchmarks come in the form of a template RFP that is now available online.
News categories: IoT M2M Council, Joel Young, Smart Home, Test, Worldwide
Samsung launches data monetization solution for IoT
Jul 31, 2017 – Samsung has announced Samsung ARTIK Cloud Monetization for the Internet of Things (IoT), a service that allows device manufacturers and service providers to create service plans that generate revenue directly from the interactions of devices and services.
News categories: Samsung, James Stansberry, Pete Horton, Stefan Grosjean, Dilip Sarangan, Smart Home, Worldwide
Miracast adds support for HD and 4K Ultra HD content streaming
Jul 26, 2017 – The Wi-Fi Alliance has announced that Wi-Fi CERTIFIED Miracast has added new capabilities to better support high-definition (HD) and 4K Ultra HD content streaming for a more immersive wireless viewing experience.
News categories: Wi-Fi Alliance, Edgar Figueroa, Multiscreen, Wireless, Worldwide
Sony 2017 4K HDR Android TVs now compatible with Amazon Echo
Jul 13, 2017 – Sony Electronics has announced that Amazon Echo devices can now control 2017 Sony 4K HDR televisions with Android TV. With this update users can ask Alexa to perform basic TV functions such as controlling the TV power, volume, play/pause/stop/fast forward controls, switch inputs and change channels.
News categories: Sony Electronics, Amazon, Mike Fasulo, Digital TV, Smart Home, Smart TV, USA, UX
TiTAN Platform launches all-in-one smart home hub and entertainment device
Jul 12, 2017 – TiTAN Platform US has introduced TiTAN Core, an all-in-one smart home and entertainment hub that manages smart devices and provides access to a broad choice of entertainment content programming.
News categories: TiTAN Platform US, Adrian Sexton, Digital TV, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart Home, USA
KDDI chooses Sigma Design's Z-Wave for Smart Home service
Jun 22, 2017 – Sigma Designs (NASDAQ: SIGM) has announced that Japan’s largest telco corporation, KDDI, uses Z-Wave as the wireless mesh technology powering their smart home solution, au HOME , designed specifically for network operators.
News categories: Sigma Designs, KDDI, Raoul Wijgergangs, Japan, Semiconductor, Smart Home, Wireless
- Latin America OTT TV and video thrives despite free services
- Major U.S. pay TV providers lost 656,000 subscribers in 2Q 2017
- Dish TV India adds 186,000 subscribers in 2Q 2017
- RTÉ plans next generation RTÉ Player with Fincons Group
- AWS Elemental video processing selected by NOWO for OTT
- Espial signs DevOps agreement with NOS
- Turner to launch U.S. sports streaming platform with UEFA matches
- EE TV first UK STB with Amazon Alexa integration
- U.S. mMVPD subscribers largely pleased with service value
- ABC Network subscribes to Nielsen National Out-of-Home Measurement
- U.S. pay TV subscriber losses almost one million in 2Q 2017
- PeerLogix partners with ad services provider and releases OTT viewing data
- Pay TV market to reach $254.77bn by 2025
- Xstream launches OTT monetisation tool
- RealNetworks and CIBN Oriental deploy RealMedia HD video codec
- 18:9 aspect ratio device shipments to reach 611 million units by 2021
- Nielsen to include credit for viewing on Facebook, Hulu and YouTube
- Accedo and Channel 4 extend All 4 to Now TV
- Zenterio powers MAXtv IPTV STB at Hrvatski Telekom in Croatia
- IHS Markit Analysis: The Wired Interface Technology Market