Smart Home (connected home, home networking) News
SoftAtHome Smart Wi-Fi powers Swisscom WLAN-Box
Dec 12, 2017 – SoftAtHome has announced that its Smart Wi-Fi solution powers the Swiss incumbent’s new WLAN-Box. The all-new WLAN-Box is a 3-in-1 Access Point device (Repeater, Extender, Video bridge) improving Wi-Fi reception throughout the home.
News categories: SoftAtHome, Swisscom, David Viret-Lange, Marcel Burgherr, CPE, Switzerland, Wireless
Silicon Labs to acquire Sigma Designs
Dec 7, 2017 – Silicon Labs (NASDAQ: SLAB) and Sigma Designs (NASDAQ: SIGM) have announced a definitive agreement under which Silicon Labs will acquire Sigma Designs for $7.05 per share in a cash transaction valued at approximately $282 million.
News categories: Silicon Labs, Sigma Designs, Tyson Tuttle, Thinh Q. Tran, Digital TV, MnA, Semiconductor, Smart Home, Worldwide
Orange makes OCast casting software open source
Dec 1, 2017 – Orange is to make OCast software available as Open Source. OCast is a technology that allows a smartphone to be used to play videos on devices including TV set-top boxes, TV Sticks or TVs and control playback of the video.
News categories: Orange, Viaccess-Orca, Deutsche Telekom, Thierry Souche, Paul Molinier, Randolph Nikutta, Digital TV, Middleware, Multiscreen, Set Top Box, Smart Home, Worldwide
HDMI Forum releases Version 2.1 of the HDMI specification
Nov 28, 2017 – HDMI Forum has announced the release of Version 2.1 of the HDMI Specification. The latest specification supports a range of higher video resolutions and refresh rates including 8K60 and 4K120, and resolutions up to 10K. Dynamic HDR formats are also supported.
News categories: HDMI Forum, Robert Blanchard, Blu-ray, Connectivity, Digital TV, Games Console, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Worldwide
UKTV offers voice-enabled search on Amazon Fire TV
Nov 24, 2017 – UKTV has become the first UK broadcaster to make its on demand programming easy to find through voice-enabled search on Amazon Fire TV. Viewers can find shows using their TV controls, by speaking into their Fire TV Stick with Alexa voice remote or the all-new Amazon Fire TV.
News categories: UKTV, Amazon, Digital TV, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart Home, UK, UX
U.S. broadband households to buy almost 55 million smart home devices in 2020
Nov 15, 2017 – Parks Associates has announced research showing U.S. broadband households will buy almost 55 million smart home devices in 2020. Currently many smart home devices are still in the early adopter stage, at adoption levels less than 15% of U.S. households.
News categories: Parks Associates, Elizabeth Parks, Market Research, Smart Home, USA
Swisscom TV upgrades UX with WLAN-Box and Entertainment OS3
Nov 15, 2017 – Swisscom TV has launched a new user interface for personal entertainment. The new versatile WLAN-Box closes gaps in reception and cuts back on wire, while Swisscom’s Internet Guard improves the protection of customer devices from the dangers on the Internet.
News categories: Swisscom, Dirk Wierzbitzki, Digital TV, Gateway, IPTV, Middleware, Switzerland, Wireless
Amazon Echo & Google Home to be in over 50% of US households by 2022
Nov 8, 2017 – A new study from Juniper Research has found that smart speakers such as Amazon Echo, Google Home, and the Sonos One will be installed in over 70 million US households by 2022, reaching 55% of all homes. Total installed devices will exceed 175 million.
News categories: Juniper Research, James Moar, Big Data, Market Research, Smart Home, USA, Worldwide
Optimum and Suddenlink to offer Nest Smart Home products and services
Oct 31, 2017 – Altice USA (NYSE:ATUS) has announced that it will advance its goal of delivering the best in-home connectivity experience with a focus on enabling the ‘smart home’ by beginning to offer Nest connected home products and services to its customers.
News categories: Altice, Dexter Goei, Cable TV, Digital TV, Smart Home, USA
- SoftAtHome Smart Wi-Fi powers Swisscom WLAN-Box
- DVB-T2 households forecasted to reach 72% by 2022 in Europe
- NAGRA secures Euskaltel 4K Android TV STB deployment in Spain
- Irdeto security selected for Mexico's StarTV
- Clear Creek Communications adopts Espial Elevate SaaS cloud platform
- Merger between Vodafone Malta and Melita called off
- R2B2 adds three Slovak TV stations to its programmatic ad network
- Silicon Labs to acquire Sigma Designs
- Connekt brings interactivity and T-Commerce to Hisense Smart TVs
- Ohio's MCTV offers Netflix access via its FUSION STB
- U.S. online video consumers have not yet taken to live TV streaming
- Nielsen launches performance testing tool for mobile video
- MobiTV partners with the National Cable Television Cooperative
- Media Rating Council issues Digital Audience-Based Measurement Standards
- PlayStation VR install base reaches 2 million units worldwide
- HbbTV Conformance Test Suite v9.2.1 released
- Liberty Global selects SeaChange multiscreen video solution
- From algorithms to AI, Kantar Millward Brown forecasts digital advertising in 2018
- Amazon Prime Video app available on Apple TV
- Turner signs up for Nielsen SVOD content ratings service