Broadband (xDSL, DOCSIS, WiMax, FTTH, …) News
FTTH Council Europe updates FTTH/FTTB figures
Mar 14, 2019 – The latest FTTH Market Panorama prepared by IDATE has been released. The number of FTTH and FTTB subscribers in Europe has increased by 15.7% in the EU39 since September 2017 with more than 59.6 million FTTH/B subscribers in September 2018.
News categories: FTTH Council, Ronan Kelly, Europe, Fibre, Subscribers, Worldwide
Saankhya Labs develops 5G Broadcast and Direct to Mobile TV technologies
Mar 13, 2019 – Saankhya Labs has announced solutions for 5G Broadcast and Direct to Mobile TV (DTM). 5G Broadcast allows telcos to offload video traffic from their mobile network onto the 'cellularized' broadcast network. DTM enables mobile devices to receive terrestrial TV.
News categories: Saankhya Labs, Parag Naik, 5G, Content Distribution, Digital TV, India, Mobile, MWC19, Semiconductor, Terrestrial, Worldwide
39 million Americans added or switched Internet, TV or Phone Service in 2018
Mar 6, 2019 – According to research from BroadbandNow, 39 million U.S. adults added or switched home internet, TV or phone service in 2018. The research examines why internet, TV and phone customers switch providers or subscribe to new services, and whether or not they are happier after doing so.
News categories: BroadbandNow, John Busby, Broadband, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, USA
OneWeb first launch mission a success
Feb 28, 2019 – OneWeb has announced the successful launch of its first six broadband satellites. The OneWeb network will provide high data throughput, low latency, global coverage to the poles, and a range of user terminals for multiple markets.
News categories: OneWeb, Adrian Steckel, Broadband, Satellite, Worldwide
Operators experiencing up to 100% YoY mobile video growth
Feb 26, 2019 – Research from Openwave Mobility has found that over the past five years, video on mobile networks has grown on average 50-60% year-on-year (YoY), while in many developing markets, the rate is more than twice this.
News categories: Openwave Mobility, Enea, Matt Halligan, 5G, Digital TV, Market Research, Mobile, MWC19, OTT, Worldwide
ZTE, Wind Tre and Open Fiber make 5G video call across the Mediterranean Sea
Feb 25, 2019 – ZTE (0763.HK/000063.SZ) has announced that it has completed a video call on a 5G smartphone in collaboration with Wind Tre and Open Fiber. Based on a 5G pilot network in L'Aquila, the video call was placed using ZTE's end-to-end 5G solution.
News categories: ZTE, Wind Tre, Open Fiber, 5G, Italy, MWC19, Smartphone, Spain
HTC unveils 5G mobile smart hub
Feb 25, 2019 – HTC has unveiled its HTC 5G Hub, a dedicated 5G mobile smart hub. The device enables 4K video streaming, low-latency gaming, and 5G mobile hotspot features for up to 20 users. Carriers across the globe will offer the HTC 5G Hub.
News categories: HTC, Cher Wang, 5G, Australia, Finland, Germany, MWC19, Router, Switzerland, UK, USA
5G to account for 15% of global mobile industry by 2025
Feb 25, 2019 – 5G is on track to account for 15% of global mobile connections by 2025, as the number of 5G network launches and compatible devices ramps up this year, according to a GSMA report published at MWC Barcelona 2019.
News categories: GSMA, Mats Granryd, 5G, Market Research, MWC19, Worldwide
Samsung showcases end-to-end 5G technology at MWC19
Feb 24, 2019 – At MWC19, Samsung will show its new Galaxy S10 5G mobile phone. Also on display will be equipment that helps make widescale 5G deployment possible, including the live broadcasting of GSMA ‘Mobile World Live TV’ using Samsung’s 5G solutions.
News categories: Samsung, DJ Koh, Paul Kyungwhoon Cheun, 5G, Content Distribution, Digital TV, MWC19, Semiconductor, Smartphone, Worldwide
- Involuntary cancellations a huge problem for the SVOD industry
- FPT launches Vietnam's first Android TV 9.0 smart device with SDMC
- NCC Media connects online to its TV advertising platform
- MediaKind to debut Universe portfolio at NAB Show 2019
- NBCUniversal and Sky combine advanced advertising capabilities
- Netflix surges beyond 11 million users in Australia
- Asia Pacific OTT to generate $48 billion
- Cinedigm to acquire Future Today
- Comark becomes Triveni Digital ATSC 1.0 and ATSC 3.0 re-seller for the U.S.
- NexPlayer and WeTek develop E2E OTT solution supporting Widevine DRM
- CANAL+ Myanmar deploys NAGRA’s Conax GO Live multiscreen OTT solution
- US esports ad revenues will grow 25% in 2019
- Funimation licenses TiVo's Search, Recommendations and Insight modules
- FTTH Council Europe updates FTTH/FTTB figures
- Eleven Sports launches new streaming service in Japan
- Rakuten TV to expand reach to more than 40 countries in 2019
- Bezeq plans migration of 'yes' from satellite to OTT
- TDG: Disney+ likely to be well received
- Saankhya Labs develops 5G Broadcast and Direct to Mobile TV technologies
- Benin signs up with SES for DTT distribution and DTH