Worldwide (not region-specific) Digital TV News
Updated specifications for digital distribution of film and TV released
Dec 13, 2018 – DEG, the Entertainment Merchants Association and MovieLabs, with member studios, retailers, and service providers, have approved and released four updated supply chain specifications for digital distribution of film and TV.
News categories: MovieLabs, Entertainment Merchants Association, Digital Entertainment Group, Craig Seidel, Eric Hanson, John Powers, Big Data, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Worldwide
2019 predictions from Openwave Mobility
Dec 13, 2018 – Openwave Mobility has released its predictions for 2019. These predictions are based on some of the findings from the Mobile Video Industry Council - which includes Tier 1 mobile operators alongside key industry analysts.
News categories: Openwave Mobility, Mobile Video Industry Council, John Giere, Matt Halligan, Indranil Chatterjee, Aman Brar, 5G, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Worldwide
Consumer IoT to be worth $6.6bn for telcos
Dec 12, 2018 – While the Internet of Things (IoT) is primarily associated with the industrial and enterprise markets, there is an adjacent opportunity emerging for Mobile Services Providers (MSPs) to spur the growth of a consumer IoT market, according to ABI Research.
News categories: ABI Research, Pablo Tomasi, Market Research, Smart Home, Worldwide
Go See TV and Flowplayer launch Shoppable Content Player
Dec 10, 2018 – Go See TV and Flowplayer have announce Go Shop Player, a publisher tool that makes content shoppable. Go Shop is an all-in-one e-commerce solution that allows publishers to monetize their video content in new and more effective ways.
News categories: Flowplayer, Go See TV, Emanuel Viklund, David Greener, Advertising, Digital TV, Media Player, Worldwide
200 million homes now have an Ultra HD TV
Dec 6, 2018 – The number of homes worldwide using an Ultra HD TV has now passed the 200 million mark, according to Strategy Analytics. The company predicts that 222 million homes will own an Ultra HD TV by the end of 2018, up nearly 50% over the past twelve months.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, David Mercer, David Watkins, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV, Worldwide
MediaTek previews Helio M70 5G baseband chipset
Dec 6, 2018 – At the China Mobile Global Partner Conference, MediaTek's first 5G baseband chipset Helio M70 was unveiled to the domestic market. The Helio M70 is among the industry's first wave of 5G multi-mode integrated baseband chipsets.
News categories: MediaTek, TL Lee, 5G, China, Semiconductor, Smartphone, Worldwide
Qualcomm announces Snapdragon 855 with 5G, AI, XR and HDR10+
Dec 5, 2018 – Qualcomm (NASDAQ:QCOM) has unveiled its Snapdragon 855 Mobile Platform, collectively supporting multi-gigabit 5G, AI and immersive extended reality (XR). Snapdragon 855 provides consumers with an upgraded entertainment platform including HDR10+ playback.
News categories: Qualcomm, Alex Katouzian, 5G, Semiconductor, Smartphone, VR, Worldwide
Inside Secure to acquire Verimatrix
Dec 5, 2018 – Inside Secure (Paris: INSD) has entered into an exclusivity agreement to acquire Verimatrix. The transaction will lead to the creation of a powerhouse in software-based security with significant penetration of the entertainment market.
News categories: Inside Secure, Verimatrix, Amedeo D'Angelo, Tom Munro, Big Data, Content Protection, Digital TV, MnA, Smart Home, Worldwide
Bigger-screen TV shipments surged in Q3 2018
Dec 5, 2018 – Although overall TV shipments in the third quarter of 2018 were flat compared to the previous year, the average TV unit-shipment screen size increased more than any previous quarter in more than a year, according to IHS Markit (Nasdaq: INFO).
News categories: IHS Markit, Paul Gagnon, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV, Worldwide
- Androidmov Technology unveils IPTV UX software
- Updated specifications for digital distribution of film and TV released
- 2019 predictions from Openwave Mobility
- EU agrees rules to facilitate access to online TV across borders
- 28% of U.S. smart speaker owners use it to control a smart home device
- Consumer IoT to be worth $6.6bn for telcos
- Viaccess-Orca to power Guigo TV live OTT service in Brazil
- Turkcell chooses Metrological to provide TV+ app store
- Wyplay source code powers Telefónica IPTV in Argentina
- EU to investigate acquisition by Vodafone of Liberty Global businesses
- Verizon begins Fios TV One rollout
- Vubiquity and Discover Digital launch VOD with TelOne Zimbabwe
- Telefonica Spain upgrades Movistar+ UI to add Netflix
- Go See TV and Flowplayer launch Shoppable Content Player
- Nordija wins IPTV contract from US fibre operator Ting
- Deutsche Telekom and MediaKind first to stream 6K tiled 360° live sport
- Shanghai sees world's first 4K UHD live broadcast via 5G network slicing
- Freeview NZ PVR combines Freeview features with streaming apps
- Mirada wins contract with Skytel in Mongolia
- 7Park Data tracks path from SVOD viewing to buying on Amazon.com