Semiconductor (ICs, silicon IP, microchips, …) News
Silicon Labs to acquire Sigma Designs
Dec 7, 2017 – Silicon Labs (NASDAQ: SLAB) and Sigma Designs (NASDAQ: SIGM) have announced a definitive agreement under which Silicon Labs will acquire Sigma Designs for $7.05 per share in a cash transaction valued at approximately $282 million.
News categories: Silicon Labs, Sigma Designs, Tyson Tuttle, Thinh Q. Tran, Digital TV, MnA, Semiconductor, Smart Home, Worldwide
Montage takes Kilopass anti-fuse NVM OTP IP for secure key storage in STB ICs
Dec 5, 2017 – Kilopass Technology has announced that its OTP NVM is designed into Montage Technology’s next generation set-top box chips. Kilopass’ Anti-Fuse NVM OTP IP provides hack-resistance storage for HDMI and conditional access security keys.
News categories: Kilopass Technology, Montage Technology, Linh Hong, Gene Liu, Content Protection, Digital TV, Set Top Box, Silicon IP, Worldwide
Impressive semiconductor industry growth continues in October
Dec 4, 2017 – The Semiconductor Industry Association (SIA) has announced that worldwide sales of semiconductors reached $37.1 billion for the month of October 2017, an increase of 21.9% from the October 2016 total of $30.4 billion and 3.2% more than last month's total of $36.0 billion.
News categories: Semiconductor Industry Association, John Neuffer, Market Research, Semiconductor, Worldwide
Semiconductor industry continues upward trend toward record year
Nov 30, 2017 – The semiconductor industry continued its upward trend in the third quarter of 2017, notching 12 percent sequential growth with strength across all application markets, according to IHS Markit (Nasdaq: INFO).
News categories: IHS Markit, Market Research, Semiconductor, Worldwide
Viaccess-Orca and Rambus strengthen security in TVs and STBs
Nov 28, 2017 – Viaccess-Orca has announced that it has collaborated with Rambus to strengthen its VO Shield Root of Trust (RoT) solution. The CryptoMedia Content Protection Core from Rambus complements VO Shield by enabling a hardware RoT to be embedded directly in the multimedia chipset of devices, including TVs and STBs.
News categories: Viaccess-Orca, Rambus, Cédric Hardouin, Bret Sewell, Content Protection, Digital TV, Set Top Box, Silicon IP, Smart TV, Worldwide
Marvell and Cavium to combine
Nov 20, 2017 – Marvell (NASDAQ: MRVL) and Cavium (NASDAQ: CAVM) have announced a definitive agreement under which Marvell will acquire all outstanding shares of Cavium common stock in exchange for consideration of $40.00 per share in cash and 2.1757 Marvell common shares for each Cavium share.
News categories: Marvell, Cavium, Matt Murphy, Syed Ali, Raghib Hussain, MnA, Semiconductor, Worldwide
RSCRYPTO announces availability on Mstar chips
Nov 19, 2017 – RSCRYPTO, SypherMedia International (SMI) and MStar Semiconductor have announced the completion of RSCRYPTO PHI CAS 2.5 integration into the Mstar K1, K5, K7 series of chips, supporting SMI’s Key derivation architecture.
News categories: RSCRYPTO, MStar Semi, SypherMedia International, Levent Le, Asia, Content Protection, Digital TV, Semiconductor, Set Top Box, Silicon IP, Worldwide
SiTune samples first tuner supporting Japan's 8K TV satellite standard
Nov 14, 2017 – SiTune has announced the availability of STN6528 production samples for its customers. The STN6528 is the industry's first tuner to support the Advanced Wide Band Digital Satellite Broadcasting Standard ISDB-S3 needed to broadcast 8K Super Hi-VISION digital TV via satellite.
News categories: SiTune, Socionext, Ben Runyan, Kenichi Katada, Digital TV, ICs, Japan, Satellite, Semiconductor, Set Top Box, Smart TV
HTC Vive announces open VR platform and standalone headset
Nov 14, 2017 – HTC has announced VIVE WAVE, a VR open platform and toolset that will open up the path to easy mobile VR content development. HTC has also unveiled VIVE FOCUS, a standalone VR headset for the China market that is also based on the Vive Wave VR open platform.
News categories: HTC Vive, Qualcomm, Alvin Wang Graylin, Hugo Swart, China, Semiconductor, VR
- SoftAtHome Smart Wi-Fi powers Swisscom WLAN-Box
- DVB-T2 households forecasted to reach 72% by 2022 in Europe
- NAGRA secures Euskaltel 4K Android TV STB deployment in Spain
- Irdeto security selected for Mexico's StarTV
- Clear Creek Communications adopts Espial Elevate SaaS cloud platform
- Merger between Vodafone Malta and Melita called off
- R2B2 adds three Slovak TV stations to its programmatic ad network
- Silicon Labs to acquire Sigma Designs
- Connekt brings interactivity and T-Commerce to Hisense Smart TVs
- Ohio's MCTV offers Netflix access via its FUSION STB
- U.S. online video consumers have not yet taken to live TV streaming
- Nielsen launches performance testing tool for mobile video
- MobiTV partners with the National Cable Television Cooperative
- Media Rating Council issues Digital Audience-Based Measurement Standards
- PlayStation VR install base reaches 2 million units worldwide
- HbbTV Conformance Test Suite v9.2.1 released
- Liberty Global selects SeaChange multiscreen video solution
- From algorithms to AI, Kantar Millward Brown forecasts digital advertising in 2018
- Amazon Prime Video app available on Apple TV
- Turner signs up for Nielsen SVOD content ratings service