Semiconductor (ICs, silicon IP, microchips, …) News
ALi provides pre-integrated solution for Videocon d2h HD STBs
Mar 7, 2018 – ALi Corporation and Videocon d2h have announced that they have cooperated on the development of a next-generation HD set-top box solution. The SoC provided by ALi is pre-integrated with the software ecosystem of Videocon.
News categories: ALi Corp, Videocon d2h, Willis Chang, Saurabh Dhoot, Digital TV, India, Middleware, Satellite, Semiconductor, Set Top Box
Inside Secure provides Secure Provisioning for ALi STB SoCs
Feb 26, 2018 – Inside Secure (Paris:INSD) has announced that they have entered into an agreement with ALi Corporation to use Inside Secure’s Secure Provisioning Solution to build robust security into its products during the chip manufacturing process.
News categories: Inside Secure, ALi Corp, Inside Secure, Daniel Huang, Content Protection, Digital TV, Set Top Box, Silicon IP, Worldwide
ISSI acquires wired connectivity business of Sigma Designs
Feb 7, 2018 – Integrated Silicon Solution (ISSI) has announced that it has entered into an agreement with Sigma Designs under which ISSI will acquire Sigma Designs Israel S.D.I. Ltd., a leader in G.hn and home connectivity solutions.
News categories: ISSI, Sigma Designs, KY Han, Nadav Katsir, MnA, Semiconductor, Smart Home, Worldwide
RDK Management and Broadcom agree to integrate SDKs
Feb 7, 2018 – RDK Management and Broadcom (NASDAQ:AVGO) have announced that they have entered into a development agreement to integrate chipset-level software development kits (SDKs) from Broadcom with RDK’s open source software.
News categories: RDK Management, Broadcom, Steve Heeb, Rich Nelson, Cable TV, Digital TV, Middleware, Semiconductor, Set Top Box, USA, Worldwide
Quantenna provides wireless chipsets for Canal+ France
Jan 29, 2018 – Quantenna (Nasdaq:QTNA) has announced that the Canal+ 'G9' satellite STB integrates Quantenna's 802.11ac 4x4 chipset to distribute video to its companion 'G9-mini' wireless OTT STB. The G9-mini integrates Quantenna's 2x4 dual-band 802.11ac/11n chipset.
News categories: Quantenna, Canal+, David Carroll, Philippe Rivas, Digital TV, France, Satellite, Semiconductor, Set Top Box, Wireless
DTS Virtual:X immersive audio added to MStar’s TV SoCs
Jan 25, 2018 – DTS (Nasdaq: XPER) has announced the integration of DTS Virtual:X post-processing in a wide range of MStar smart TV SoC platforms. The integration will allow TV vendors to deliver virtualized immersive sound from any content.
News categories: Xperi, MStar Semi, DTS, Joanna Skrdlant, Mike Chang, Media Player, Semiconductor, Silicon IP, Smart TV, Worldwide
Sigma Designs begins wind-down of Smart TV and STB business
Jan 23, 2018 – Sigma Designs (NASDAQ: SIGM) has announced that it will now only sell its Z-Wave business to Silicon Labs (NASDAQ: SLAB). Sigma Designs intends to initiate a plan of liquidation following the closing of the asset transaction.
News categories: Sigma Designs, Silicon Labs, Thinh Tran, Digital TV, MnA, Semiconductor, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Worldwide
Amphion releases video decoder core for HEVC and VP9
Jan 18, 2018 – Amphion Semiconductor has announced the release of the latest version of its ‘Malone’ video decoder IP core. In addition to supporting all legacy formats, the video decoder supports both HEVC and VP9 in a single core.
News categories: Amphion Semi, Digital TV, Semiconductor, Silicon IP, Worldwide
Worldwide semiconductor revenue to grow 7.5% in 2018
Jan 15, 2018 – Worldwide semiconductor revenue is forecast to total $451 billion in 2018, an increase of 7.5% from $419 billion in 2017, according to Gartner. This represents a near doubling of Gartner's previous estimate of 4% growth for 2018.
News categories: Gartner, Ben Lee, Alan Priestley, Market Research, Semiconductor, Worldwide
- Global digital pay TV subscriptions pass one billion in 2017
- America's appetite for streaming video continues to grow
- Tata Sky mobile app’s video experience revived by Accedo
- More than 40 million devices now running RDK
- Intertrust DRM selected for milplusTV streaming service in Japan
- ENENSYS technology deployed in live ATSC 3.0 showcase
- LG partners with NIPA to promote webOS Open Source Edition
- Eastern Europe digital pay TV subscribers to grow 27% between 2017 and 2023
- Mongol TV goes live with Brightcove OTT Flow
- Tencent Video subscriptions reach 62.59 million at end-February 2018
- Baidu and Skyworth to jointly build AI ecosystem for Smart Homes
- Turner consolidates international digital advertising activity
- One in five U.S. broadband households use a digital antenna to access live TV
- Akamai enables Dynamic Ad Insertion in live cricket on SonyLIV
- U.S. set-top box energy efficiency voluntary agreement extended
- SpotX matches media buyers to Pluto TV’s OTT TV service
- ATEME and CANAL+ extend partnership to include UHD premium services
- Traditional U.S. pay TV subscriptions down 3.7% in 2017
- TV ‘cord-cutting’ in Canada slows in 2017
- Live TV viewing has continued to decline among U.S. broadband households