Smart TV (Connected TV, Integrated Digital Television, IDTV) News
Global TV shipments to fall 5.8% in 2020
May 21, 2020 – According to TrendForce, global TV shipments are expected to undergo a 5.8% decrease YoY and reach 205.21 million units in 2020. In the shrinking TV market, brands are vying for business growth by demonstrating their technical superiority.
News categories: TrendForce, Iris Hu, COVID-19, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV, Worldwide
Bloomberg TV+ 4K UHD channel launches on Samsung TV Plus
May 20, 2020 – Bloomberg Media has launched Bloomberg TV+, a premium video experience and first 4K UHD channel that combines the power of Bloomberg data and trusted business and finance programming, on Samsung TV Plus, Samsung's free Smart TV video service.
News categories: Bloomberg Media, Samsung, M. Scott Havens, Salek Brodsky, Apps, Digital TV, OTT, Smart TV, Worldwide
LG transfers TV manufacturing capacity to Indonesia
May 20, 2020 – LG has announced that, as part of expanding its TV business, its Cibitung facility in Indonesia will become the company’s new regional hub, taking over two of the six production lines currently running in Gumi, South Korea.
News categories: LG Electronics, Digital TV, Indonesia, Smart TV, Worldwide
67% of US broadband households using at least one connected video device
May 19, 2020 – New research from Parks Associates finds 67% of US broadband households own and use at least one internet-connected video device, either a smart TV, streaming media player, internet-connected gaming console, or connected PVR/DVR.
News categories: Parks Associates, Kristen Hanich, Blu-ray, Digital TV, DVR, Games Console, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, USA
Large-area FPD panel availability set to tighten significantly in 2021
May 11, 2020 – According to Omdia, the coronavirus crisis is impacting FPD demand and creating uncertainty. Challenged to maintain profitability in this environment, Korean suppliers have accelerated plans to completely exit LCD TV panel production in Korea in 2020.
News categories: Omdia, Charles Annis, COVID-19, Digital TV, Korea, Market Research, Smart TV, Worldwide
Project OAR expands with Scripps and ViacomCBS
May 11, 2020 – The E.W. Scripps Company and an expanded group from ViacomCBS have joined Project OAR, the consortium working to recommend protocols for TV programmers and platforms to manage, sell and deliver advertising on smart TVs.
News categories: Project OAR, Scripps, ViacomCBS, Kerry Oslund, Mike Dean, Advertising, Big Data, Digital TV, Smart TV, USA
VNTA deploys R&S AI-based TV compliance test automation system in Vietnam
May 6, 2020 – Rohde & Schwarz has installed an AI-based RF test system for digital TV compliance test at the Vietnam Telecommunications Authority. The system enables test labs and TV/STB manufacturers to conduct compliance tests in a more cost-effective manner.
News categories: Rohde & Schwarz, VNTA, Digital TV, QoE, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Terrestrial, Vietnam
CIMM launches best practices study on combining Smart TV and STB data
May 1, 2020 – CIMM has announced the launch of a study to develop best practices in building large scale, granular data sets to measure all forms of TV viewing by combining the anonymous viewing data from both Smart TVs and STBs.
News categories: CIMM, Pre-Meditated Media, Jane Clarke, Gerard Broussard, Howard Shimmel, Big Data, Content Identification, Digital TV, Set Top Box, Smart TV, USA
Norway's Strim to launch Smart TV apps with Norigin Media
Apr 28, 2020 – Strim, one of the newest streaming services in Norway, owned by TV distributor RiksTV, has chosen Norigin Media to build its new TV Apps on Smart TVs. With this agreement, Strim will expand its streaming service onto large screens.
News categories: Norigin Media, RiksTV, Strim, Ajey Anand, Jérôme Franck-Sætervoll, Apps, Digital TV, Norway, OTT, Smart TV
- Gem Shopping Network to use Comscore TV measurement
- ATRESMEDIA and smartclip deepen HbbTV advertising partnership
- Comscore, Kantar extend measurement partnership with Auditel Italy
- Pay TV revenues to plunge to $150 billion
- Cable-Tec Expo unable to go ahead
- Sisvel announces first VP9 and AV1 patent licensees
- Comcast to bring HBO Max to Xfinity customers
- HBO Max launched in the U.S.
- Nordic households spending €149pm on media and access services
- SES unveils results of Philippines TV market reception survey
- Over half of U.S. adults watching more TV since the pandemic
- NEXTGEN TV begins broadcasting in Las Vegas
- Shifts in viewing behavior continue during COVID-19 pandemic
- Dailymotion and Huawei Video announce global video partnership
- SoftAtHome builds RDK-based video product for service providers
- Nordija integrates Yospace ad insertion technology
- iQIYI partners MediaTek for AV1-powered Ultra HD streaming
- Bitė to acquire Telecentras' IPTV business in Lithuania
- World's fastest internet speed from a single optical chip
- Disney+ attracts 2 million Australian viewers in 4 months