Smart TV (Connected TV, Integrated Digital Television, IDTV) News
Sigma Designs announces Smart TV business restructuring
Oct 11, 2017 – Sigma Designs (NASDAQ: SIGM) has announced restructuring activities intended to refocus its operating expenses and accelerate the return to profitability. The actions will focus on streamlining the company’s Connected Smart TV Platforms business.
News categories: Sigma Designs, Thinh Tran, Digital TV, Semiconductor, Smart TV, Worldwide
CTA publishes Recommended Practice for ATSC 3.0 television sets
Sep 27, 2017 – The Consumer Technology Association's (CTA) Technology & Standards Fall Forum kicked off with the publication of guidelines to improve the capabilities of TV sets decoding ATSC 3.0 signals. The guidelines aim to help improve the user-experience.
News categories: Consumer Technology Association, Brian Markwalter, ATSC, Digital TV, Smart TV, USA
HbbTV Association publishes IPTV specification
Sep 26, 2017 – The HbbTV Association has announced that it has finalised and published its IPTV Specification. This specification builds on HbbTV 2. The specification defines how HbbTV terminals (e.g. STBs and televisions) can be used with IPTV services.
News categories: HbbTV Association, Klaus Illgner, Digital TV, HbbTV, IPTV, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Worldwide
Comcast's Xfinity TV Partner app coming to LG TVs
Sep 25, 2017 – Comcast and LG have announced that Xfinity TV customers will be able to access their cable service via the Xfinity TV Partner app on 2017 and 2018 LG webOS Smart TVs beginning in 2018.
News categories: Comcast, LG Electronics, Michael Gatzke, Matt Durgin, Apps, Cable TV, Digital TV, Smart TV, USA
Finland prepares for high definition DTT broadcasting
Sep 21, 2017 – The television operators in the Finnish terrestrial broadcasting network have agreed that the free-to-air channels will all simultaneously adopt the DVB-T2 broadcasting technology that enables high definition (HD).
News categories: Digita, Juha-Pekka Weckström, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Finland, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Terrestrial
Connekt and Ensequence to use Gracenote's Video Automatic Content Recognition
Sep 19, 2017 – Gracenote (NYSE: NLSN) has announced that it has inked deals with Connekt and Ensequence to use Gracenote’s Video Automatic Content Recognition (ACR) technology to bring new interactive capabilities to linear TV ads and other programming.
News categories: Gracenote, Connekt, Ensequence, Kelly Abcarian, Advertising, Big Data, Digital TV, Smart TV, Worldwide
Tivù premieres the first HbbTV 2.0.1 application: tivùon!
Sep 18, 2017 – Tivù, Samsung and Yotta Media Labs have presented the world’s first HbbTV 2.0.1 application at IBC 2017. The official launch of the tivùon! App in the Italian market will be in Q4 2017 on tivuon! certified Samsung HbbTV devices.
News categories: Tivù, Samsung, Yotta Media Labs, Apps, Digital TV, HbbTV, IBCShow, Italy, OTT, Smart TV
TVkey adds forensic watermarking with NexGuard
Sep 18, 2017 – NAGRA (SIX:KUD.S) and Samsung have announced NexGuard as the first forensic watermarking solution approved for use with TVkey. The TVkey USB dongle offers a secure way for pay TV operators to bring advanced services directly to TV sets.
News categories: NAGRA, Samsung, NexGuard, Maurice Van Riek, Hyogun Lee, CAM, Digital TV, IBCShow, Smart TV, Watermarking, Worldwide
SERAPHIC showcases ready-to-go Freeview Play browser solution at IBC 2017
Sep 16, 2017 – SERAPHIC is showcasing the latest features of Freeview Play at IBC2017. SERAPHIC's ready-to-go Freeview Play solution has been adopted by various TV and STB manufacturers such as UMC Sharp and THTF for the service.
News categories: SERAPHIC, Freeview, Ye Wang, Digital TV, IBCShow, Middleware, Set Top Box, Smart TV, UK
- CASBAA forms Coalition Against Piracy in Asia
- Verizon FIOS video subscribers down 18,000 in 3Q 2017
- Eurofins Digital Testing acquires U.S.-based My Eye Media
- Freeview NZ to launch new on-demand platform and connected PVR
- Brazilian antitrust authority approves AT&T acquisition of Time Warner
- IC Insights raises 2017 IC market forecast to +22%
- Nielsen launches SVOD content ratings
- Optic Communications launches pay TV with Espial
- Encoding.com launches first video QC service in the cloud
- Montage Technology licenses Allegro DVT video encoder IP for STB ICs
- Touchstream debuts live OTT stream content availability monitoring
- true[X] and Innovid partner to bring Engagement Ads to living room devices
- MCTV launches IPTV services with Espial
- Worldwide device shipments to increase 2.0% in 2018
- Vodafone TV launches in New Zealand
- Czech HbbTV adopts header bidding solution from R2B2
- Metrological and ActiveVideo enable OTT on existing STBs
- Kaon adopts monitoring from Greenwave Systems for cable devices
- INSIGHT TV joins Amazon Channels line-up in UK and Germany
- US leads in scripted TV production but volume is declining