Smart TV (Connected TV, Integrated Digital Television, IDTV) News
69% of U.S. TV households have a connected TV
Apr 27, 2017 – According to Leichtman Research, 69% of US TV households have at least one television set connected to the internet via a smart TV set, a stand-alone device, a video game system, and/or a Blu-ray player.
News categories: Leichtman Research, Bruce Leichtman, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, USA
55% drop in consumers who prefer to watch TV shows on TV sets
Apr 24, 2017 – Signaling an accelerating shift in the digital video market consumer behavior, the percentage of consumers who prefer watching TV shows on television sets plummeted by 55% over the past year, from 52% to 23%, according to Accenture (NYSE: ACN).
News categories: Accenture, Gavin Mann, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV, Worldwide
Samsung and Amazon introduce HDR10+
Apr 20, 2017 – Samsung and Amazon Video have announced the introduction of HDR10+, an updated open standard that leverages dynamic metadata to produce enhanced contrast and colors on an expanded range of televisions.
News categories: Samsung, Amazon Video, Kyoungwon Lim, Greg Hart, Digital TV, Smart TV, Worldwide
Sling TV first live OTT service on 2016-17 LG Smart TVs
Apr 19, 2017 – Sling TV has become the first live and on-demand OTT service available on LG's smart TVs. Sling TV supports most 2016 webOS 3.0 Smart TV models, and will be available on LG’s 2017 webOS 3.5 enabled-models in the coming months.
News categories: Sling TV, LG Electronics, Ben Weinberger, Matt Durgin, Digital TV, OTT, Smart TV, USA
Samsung and Wuaki expand 4K HDR availability in Europe
Apr 4, 2017 – Samsung and Rakuten Wuaki have announced the expanded availability of Samsung’s TV PLUS service at MIPTV in Cannes. With this announcement, Rakuten Wuaki, partnered with Samsung, becomes the first VOD service to sell newly released, premium 4K HDR movies across Europe.
News categories: Samsung, Wuaki, Heeman Lee, Jacinto Roca, Digital TV, Europe, MIPTV, OTT, Smart TV
OVGuide taps SpotX to monetize its movie and TV catalog
Mar 16, 2017 – OVGuide has announced a partnership with SpotX to monetize its catalog of long-form video content on connected TVs. OVGuide’s movies and TV content is being made available via SpotX’s programmatic enablement and ad serving technology.
News categories: SpotX, OVGuide, Ryan Kenney, Thomas Dodson, Content Distribution, Digital TV, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, USA
Spain adopts HbbTV 2.0.1 for DTT receivers
Mar 16, 2017 – The Asociación Española de Televisión Digital Interactiva (AEDETI) and the HbbTV Association have announced that Spain's Digital TV Tech Forum has adopted HbbTV version 2.0.1 for DTT in the country.
News categories: HbbTV Association, AEDETI, Klaus Illgner, Jose Luis Vázquez, Digital TV, HbbTV, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Spain, Terrestrial
China to dominate 4K and 8K TV shipments through 2020
Mar 8, 2017 – China will continue to dominate the 4K TV market, with 42 percent of all TVs in 2017 expected to ship with 4K panels, according to a white paper released by IHS Markit (Nasdaq: INFO).
News categories: IHS Markit, Paul Gray, China, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV, Worldwide
MTV Finland chooses Norigin Media to build Smart TV apps
Mar 7, 2017 – MTV Oy, the Finnish Media and TV company, has chosen Norigin Media to build smart TV applications on Samsung and LG Connected TVs. The company plans to launch new premium TV streaming services on these applications.
News categories: Norigin Media, MTV Oy, Ajey Anand, Jyri kylönen, Apps, Digital TV, Finland, OTT, Smart TV
- Creonic launches additional DVB-S2X IP cores
- 69% of U.S. TV households have a connected TV
- Streaming far surpasses VOD as the go-to source for on demand content
- Malaysia's tonton OTT to be available through Singtel
- Comcast video subscribers up 42,000 in 1Q 2017
- Kinnevik acquires 18.5% in Com Hem
- Totalplay selects ATEME virtual encoding for its converged headend
- Sky's OTT service, NOW TV, launches in Ireland
- PLDT announces next generation TVolution streaming box
- AT&T linear down 233k; DTVLA up 91k video subs in 1Q 2017
- FreeCast to offer OTA TV via its ATSC 3.0 STB
- Viu hits 6 million active users, 50% growth in 4 months
- Samsung employees show experimental hands-free VR interface
- Channel 4 launches world's first audio personalised TV ads
- SES, Fraunhofer HHI and Newtec show 360° VR over DVB-S2X at NABShow
- Eutelsat running antenna seeding programme across the Americas
- Paywizard integrates with Cisco's Infinite Video Platform
- ZoneTV and ActiveVideo show cloud delivery of Dynamic Channels
- RTÉ to develop next generation RTÉ Player with Fincons Group
- Cincinnati Bell takes multiscreen OTT security from Verimatrix