Smart TV (Connected TV, Integrated Digital Television, IDTV) News
LG partners with NIPA to promote webOS Open Source Edition
Mar 19, 2018 – As part of an effort to make webOS more accessible to consumers and industries, LG has entered into an MOU with a Korean government body to more actively advance its philosophy of open platform, open partnership and open connectivity.
News categories: LG Electronics, National IT Industry Promotion Agency, Dr. I.P. Park, Digital TV, Korea, Middleware, Smart TV, Worldwide
Marketing Evolution adds Smart TV data from Inscape
Mar 14, 2018 – Marketing Evolution has announced a partnership with Inscape. The partnership combines Marketing Evolution’s person-centric insights with Inscape’s TV viewing data, to measure results and optimize media plans across all channels in near real time.
News categories: Marketing Evolution, Inscape, Rex Briggs, Greg Hampton, Advertising, Big Data, Digital TV, Smart TV, USA
Vestel and Vewd add newest HbbTV standard to smart TV partnership
Mar 13, 2018 – Vewd and Vestel have announced a contract renewal that will see even more Vewd products delivered across the full range of Vestel TVs. The agreement will result in one of the largest deployments of smart TVs with the newest HbbTV standard.
News categories: Vewd, Vestel, Aneesh Rajaram, Hakan Kutlu, Digital TV, Europe, HbbTV, OTT, Smart TV
OBS integrates DTVKit with Android
Mar 8, 2018 – OBS has announced that it has integrated DTVKit into Android using the TV Input Framework (TIF). This enables OEMs to provide access to broadcast DVB services on their Android powered devices. The DTVKit Android integration software is available to DTVKit members.
News categories: OBS, DTVKit, Paul Martin, Phil Evans, Digital TV, Middleware, Set Top Box, Smart TV
Sharp and TiVo extend interactive program guide deal
Mar 6, 2018 – TiVo (NASDAQ: TIVO) has announced that Sharp will further utilize TiVo’s G-Guide HTML across Sharp 4K smart TVs and Ultra HD Blu-ray recorders in Japan, TiVo’s G-Guide xD app and remote schedule recording service for its Blu-ray recorders.
News categories: TiVo Corp, Sharp Corp, Michael Hawkey, Big Data, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Japan, Smart TV, UX
DVB launches new DVB-I initiative
Mar 5, 2018 – DVB has agreed terms of reference for a new DVB CM-I group for DVB-I (Internet). DVB CM-I will look into the commercial requirements for standalone linear TV services over broadband Internet.
News categories: DVB Project, Peter MacAvock, Thomas Stockhammer, Peter Lanigan, Digital TV, Europe, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Worldwide
Yi+ powers Hisense' artificial intelligence TV system
Mar 1, 2018 – Beijing Yi+ Technology (Yi+AI) has revealed that Hisense's recently announced Artificial Intelligence (AI) television system "VIDAA-AI" uses real-time scene and video recognition technologies powered by Yi+AI.
News categories: Yi+AI, Hisense, Big Data, China, Digital TV, Smart TV
New HbbTV core spec supports HDR, HFR and NGA
Feb 21, 2018 – The HbbTV Association has announced the availability of HbbTV 2.0.2. This update of the second version of the core HbbTV specification enables HbbTV applications to benefit from 'Ultra High Definition' video and audio technologies.
News categories: HbbTV Association, Jon Piesing, Digital TV, Europe, Middleware, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Worldwide
Market for 4K UHD technologies exploding
Feb 19, 2018 – The huge growth forecast for 4K UHD global markets stems from the technology’s growing adoption, rising disposable incomes, technological advancements, expanding 4K content and increasing TV unit sales.
News categories: BCC Research, Anand Bhandari, Digital TV, Market Research, Smart TV, Worldwide
- Global digital pay TV subscriptions pass one billion in 2017
- America's appetite for streaming video continues to grow
- Tata Sky mobile app’s video experience revived by Accedo
- More than 40 million devices now running RDK
- Intertrust DRM selected for milplusTV streaming service in Japan
- ENENSYS technology deployed in live ATSC 3.0 showcase
- LG partners with NIPA to promote webOS Open Source Edition
- Eastern Europe digital pay TV subscribers to grow 27% between 2017 and 2023
- Mongol TV goes live with Brightcove OTT Flow
- Tencent Video subscriptions reach 62.59 million at end-February 2018
- Baidu and Skyworth to jointly build AI ecosystem for Smart Homes
- Turner consolidates international digital advertising activity
- One in five U.S. broadband households use a digital antenna to access live TV
- Akamai enables Dynamic Ad Insertion in live cricket on SonyLIV
- U.S. set-top box energy efficiency voluntary agreement extended
- SpotX matches media buyers to Pluto TV’s OTT TV service
- ATEME and CANAL+ extend partnership to include UHD premium services
- Traditional U.S. pay TV subscriptions down 3.7% in 2017
- TV ‘cord-cutting’ in Canada slows in 2017
- Live TV viewing has continued to decline among U.S. broadband households