Digital TV Business, Technology and Market Research News
Pay TV subscriptions exceed 1 billion
Sep 23, 2019 – Digital TV Research estimates that pay TV subscribers increased by 26 million in 2018 across 138 countries. This took the number of pay TV subscribers beyond 1 billion. IPTV overtook pay satellite TV in 2018.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Satellite, Subscribers, Terrestrial, Worldwide
Eros Now to develop online video platform with Microsoft
Sep 19, 2019 – Eros Now is to build an online video platform on Microsoft Azure targeted at its consumers across the globe. Eros’ work with Microsoft will help transform how it delivers streaming services and reimagine the offerings it can provide.
News categories: Eros International, Microsoft, Rishika Lulla Singh, Peggy Johnson, Anant Maheshwari, Big Data, Content Distribution, Digital TV, India, OTT, UX, Worldwide
FourthWall Media introduces Reveal 5 TV analytics and optimization platform
Sep 19, 2019 – FourthWall Media has released Reveal 5, the company’s analytics platform. Reveal 5 packages powerful analytics and infrastructure making it easy to use the platform to analyze, plan, and optimize television advertising, audiences, and programming.
News categories: FourthWall Media, Ellen Dudar, Tim Peters, Advertising, Big Data, Digital TV, USA
Hearst Television moves to impressions-based selling of Local TV ad inventory
Sep 18, 2019 – Hearst Television has announced that its stations will begin transacting advertising-sales agreements based on audience impressions – a metric reflecting a program's viewer numbers and the common audience-measurement currency for video-viewing platforms.
News categories: Hearst Television, Jordan Wertlieb, Eric Meyrowitz, Advertising, Digital TV, USA
Roku releases U.S. cord-cutting study
Sep 18, 2019 – The Roku (NASDAQ: ROKU) study predicts that around 60 million TV households will access video on their TV exclusively through streaming within the next five years. If this happens, streamers will surpass traditional Pay TV viewers for the first time.
News categories: Roku, Matthew Anderson, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, USA
Facebook introduces Portal TV set-top box
Sep 18, 2019 – Facebook is expanding its Portal family of home video-calling devices with three new models: Portal, Portal Mini and Portal TV. Portal TV brings smart video-calling to the largest screen in the home.
News categories: Facebook, Australia, Canada, Digital TV, France, Italy, New Zealand, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart Home, Spain, Tablet, UK, USA
CTA launches 8K Ultra HD logo program
Sep 18, 2019 – The Consumer Technology Association (CTA) and its member companies have announced the official industry display definition and logo for 8K Ultra High-Definition (UHD) televisions – for use beginning with 2020 model products.
News categories: Consumer Technology Association, Gary Shapiro, Digital TV, Smart TV, USA
SVOD subscriptions soar by 38% in 2018
Sep 18, 2019 – Gross SVOD subscriptions increased by 139 million in 2018 to 508 million, up by 38%. The net subscriber count rose by 83 million in 2018 to reach 357 million, up31%, according to Digital TV Research.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Subscribers, Worldwide
Subscriptions now account for nearly 86% of US internet TV and movie spending
Sep 17, 2019 – New research from Parks Associates finds that subscriptions, formerly representing just over half of total online video spending in 2012, now account for nearly 86% of all U.S. internet spending on TV and movies.
News categories: Parks Associates, Brett Sappington, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, USA
- Pay TV subscriptions exceed 1 billion
- Roku OS 9.2 to begin rollout
- Roku announces new streaming player line-up for UK
- Eros Now to develop online video platform with Microsoft
- FourthWall Media introduces Reveal 5 TV analytics and optimization platform
- Hearst Television moves to impressions-based selling of Local TV ad inventory
- Roku releases U.S. cord-cutting study
- Facebook introduces Portal TV set-top box
- CTA launches 8K Ultra HD logo program
- SVOD subscriptions soar by 38% in 2018
- Subscriptions now account for nearly 86% of US internet TV and movie spending
- NBCUniversal streaming service to be called 'Peacock'
- Vizio adds additional Alexa capabilities to SmartCast TVs
- LIWEST latest Austrian operator to deploy IPTV with Verimatrix and Ocilion
- Channel 4 to use Sky's AdSmart technology
- TV penetration in Sub-Saharan Africa still low
- Amazon Prime Video to be made available on Altice One
- NEOTION renews partnership with Irdeto
- Online video viewing to reach 100 minutes a day in 2021
- Irdeto secures Airtel Xstream 4K set-top box