Digital TV Business, Technology and Market Research News
Latin America OTT TV and video thrives despite free services
Aug 21, 2017 – Revenues from OTT TV episodes and movies for 19 Latin American countries will reach $4.6 billion in 2022; up from the $1.87 billion in 2016. SVOD will remain the region’s largest OTT revenue source, according to Digital TV Research.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Digital TV, Latin America, Market Research, OTT
Major U.S. pay TV providers lost 656,000 subscribers in 2Q 2017
Aug 17, 2017 – Leichtman Research Group (LRG) has found that the largest pay-TV providers in the US lost about 656,000 net video subscribers in 2Q 2017, compared to a loss of about 715,000 subscribers in 2Q 2016.
News categories: Leichtman Research, Bruce Leichtman, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Satellite, Subscribers, USA
Dish TV India adds 186,000 subscribers in 2Q 2017
Aug 17, 2017 – Dish TV India (BSE: 532839, NSE: DISHTV) has reported results for the quarter ended June 30, 2017. Net additions at 0.186 million were higher by 12.7% on a Q-o-Q basis. Churn at 1% p.m. was slightly higher than the 0.9% p.m. in the previous quarter.
News categories: Dish TV India, Digital TV, India, MnA, Results, Satellite, Subscribers
RTÉ plans next generation RTÉ Player with Fincons Group
Aug 17, 2017 – RTÉ has announced plans to develop a next generation RTÉ Player, Ireland’s number one broadcaster VOD service. It is expected that the new service will be launched before the end of the year.
News categories: Fincons Group, RTÉ, Michele Moretti, Aoife Byrne, Apps, Digital TV, Ireland, OTT, UX
AWS Elemental video processing selected by NOWO for OTT
Aug 17, 2017 – Amazon Web Services has announced that NOWO has selected video processing solutions from AWS Elemental to power a unified headend delivering its digital cable and over-the-top (OTT) video services.
News categories: Amazon Web Services, NOWO, John Nemeth, Ana Maria Teixeira, Cable TV, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Portugal, TV Everywhere
Espial signs DevOps agreement with NOS
Aug 17, 2017 – Espial has announced that it has signed an agreement with NOS to provide agile and DevOps engineering and delivery services. The engagement allows NOS to take a continuous innovation approach and more effectively monetize their video services.
News categories: Espial, NOS, Jaison Dolvane, Pedro Bandeira, Cable TV, Digital TV, Middleware, Set Top Box, UX
Turner to launch U.S. sports streaming platform with UEFA matches
Aug 17, 2017 – Turner and UEFA have announced an agreement for the exclusive presentation of the UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League. Based on the rights, Turner will launch a standalone premium sports streaming video service.
News categories: Turner, UEFA, David Levy, Lenny Daniels, Digital TV, OTT, USA
EE TV first UK STB with Amazon Alexa integration
Aug 17, 2017 – EE TV has become one of the first set top boxes world-wide to offer a skill for Amazon Alexa. EE TV will support Alexa voice control through Amazon Echo or Echo Dot, meaning customers can just ask for information on what's on, or to record their favourite shows.
News categories: EE, Amazon, Max Taylor, Fabrice Rousseau, Digital TV, IPTV, Set Top Box, Smart Home, UK, UX
U.S. mMVPD subscribers largely pleased with service value
Aug 16, 2017 – According to The Diffusion Group (TDG), though virtual pay-TV services are immature and years away from ‘five-9’ reliability, subscribers overwhelmingly consider service value to be very solid.
News categories: The Diffusion Group, Michael Greeson, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, USA
- Latin America OTT TV and video thrives despite free services
- Major U.S. pay TV providers lost 656,000 subscribers in 2Q 2017
- Dish TV India adds 186,000 subscribers in 2Q 2017
- RTÉ plans next generation RTÉ Player with Fincons Group
- AWS Elemental video processing selected by NOWO for OTT
- Espial signs DevOps agreement with NOS
- Turner to launch U.S. sports streaming platform with UEFA matches
- EE TV first UK STB with Amazon Alexa integration
- U.S. mMVPD subscribers largely pleased with service value
- ABC Network subscribes to Nielsen National Out-of-Home Measurement
- U.S. pay TV subscriber losses almost one million in 2Q 2017
- PeerLogix partners with ad services provider and releases OTT viewing data
- Pay TV market to reach $254.77bn by 2025
- Xstream launches OTT monetisation tool
- RealNetworks and CIBN Oriental deploy RealMedia HD video codec
- 18:9 aspect ratio device shipments to reach 611 million units by 2021
- Nielsen to include credit for viewing on Facebook, Hulu and YouTube
- Accedo and Channel 4 extend All 4 to Now TV
- Zenterio powers MAXtv IPTV STB at Hrvatski Telekom in Croatia
- IHS Markit Analysis: The Wired Interface Technology Market