Digital TV Business, Technology and Market Research News
Global SVOD subscriptions to reach 777 million
Sep 25, 2018 – Worldwide paying SVOD subscriptions will increase by 409 million between 2017 and 2023 to total 777 million, according to Digital TV Research. Eleven countries will have more than 10 million subscribers and China and the US together will account for more than half of the total.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT, Worldwide
DigiCAP to deploy home gateways for ONEMedia's NextGen broadcast system in Dallas
Sep 21, 2018 – DigiCAP and ONEMedia have agreed to deploy a significant number of SmartXess home gateways for ONEMedia's NextGen broadcast system in Dallas. The project's goal is to build a fully functional NextGen system, including SFN booster transmitters and NextGen content and functionality.
News categories: ONE Media, DigiCAP, ATSC, Content Distribution, Digital TV, USA
Amazon introduces 'Fire TV Recast' DTT gateway
Sep 20, 2018 – Amazon (NASDAQ: AMZN) has announced Fire TV Recast, a companion DVR that lets consumers watch, record, and replay free over-the-air TV programming on Fire TV, Echo Show, and on compatible Fire tablet, iOS, and Android devices.
News categories: Amazon, Marc Whitten, Patrick Moorhead, Digital TV, Personal Video Recorder, Placeshifting, Terrestrial, USA
Amazon introduces Echo Show with a bigger screen
Sep 20, 2018 – Amazon (NASDAQ: AMZN) has announced the next generation of Echo Show: the all-new Echo Show has an immersive 10-inch HD display with crisp and bright visuals, a built-in smart home hub, and an upgraded speaker system that delivers powerful bass and stereo sound.
News categories: Amazon, Tom Taylor, Gaurav Sareen, Digital TV, Set Top Box, Smart Home, Tablet, USA, UX
Alibaba Cloud selects Irdeto to simplify OTT content protection
Sep 20, 2018 – Alibaba Cloud has selected Irdeto Rights to simplify OTT content protection for its customers. Irdeto’s multi-DRM solution, including ChinaDRM, PlayReady, Widevine and FairPlay support, will enable content owners and operators to quickly deploy OTT services.
News categories: Irdeto, Alibaba Cloud, Bengt Jonsson, Li Bin, China, Content Distribution, Digital TV, DRM, OTT
FreeWheel releases Q2 2018 Video Monetization Report
Sep 20, 2018 – FreeWheel has released its Q2 2018 Video Monetization Report (VMR), which tracks marketplace trends on premium video consumption and advertising across Set-Top Box Video on Demand (STB VOD), Over-the-Top (OTT), Desktop, Smartphone and Tablets.
News categories: FreeWheel, David Clark, Advertising, Digital TV, Market Research, USA
dataxu debuts TotalTV for Advertisers, spanning linear, connected and addressable TV
Sep 20, 2018 – dataxu has announced TotalTV for Advertisers. TotalTV includes a unified planner for TV that creates buying plans to reach de-duplicated audiences among more than 120 million households, whether viewers are watching linear TV or streaming through any OTT device.
News categories: dataxu, Sorenson Media, Sandro Catanzaro, James Shears, Sarah Wilson, Advertising, Digital TV, USA, Worldwide
Worldwide 4K STB installed base hits 31 million units in 2017
Sep 20, 2018 – According to Dataxis, the global installed base for 4K Set-top Boxes grew to 31 million units at the end of 2017, compared to only 3 million units in 2015. Operators around the world are deploying more and more 4K boxes, which is reflected in the global numbers.
News categories: Dataxis, Digital TV, Market Research, Set Top Box, Worldwide
Vodafone makes UK’s first holographic call using 5G
Sep 20, 2018 – Vodafone has conducted the UK’s first live holographic call using 5G technology. The call from Vodafone’s Manchester office featured England and Manchester City Women’s Football Captain, Steph Houghton MBE. Using 5G technology, Steph appeared as a live 3D hologram on stage in front of an audience at Vodafone’s UK headquarters in Newbury.
News categories: Vodafone, Nick Jeffery, 5G, Digital TV, UK, VR
- Global SVOD subscriptions to reach 777 million
- DigiCAP to deploy home gateways for ONEMedia's NextGen broadcast system in Dallas
- Amazon introduces 'Fire TV Recast' DTT gateway
- Amazon introduces Echo Show with a bigger screen
- Alibaba Cloud selects Irdeto to simplify OTT content protection
- FreeWheel releases Q2 2018 Video Monetization Report
- dataxu debuts TotalTV for Advertisers, spanning linear, connected and addressable TV
- Worldwide 4K STB installed base hits 31 million units in 2017
- Vodafone makes UK’s first holographic call using 5G
- MOBITV acquires streaming delivery rights from another 90 networks
- DISH enlists Nielsen to power advanced advertising across Sling TV
- ACCESS browser selected for Panasonic Blu-ray recorder with 4K satellite
- Global OTT revenues to climb to $129 billion
- Amazon Fire TV Cube will not replace the remote just yet
- Africa’s entertainment and media industry enters dynamic new era
- Liberty Global launches 'Horizon 4' next-generation platform
- Frequency planning process finalized for DTT transition in Central America and the Caribbean
- Sky and Netflix join forces as Ultimate On Demand comes to Sky Q
- MaxLinear satellite receiver powers Cyfrowy Polsat's Evobox HD
- Ad-Tech market still highly fragmented despite intense M&A activity