In-Car & Automotive News
LG and Qualcomm join forces on automotive infotainment
Oct 30, 2019 – LG and Qualcomm have announced plans to work together to further develop webOS Auto, LG’s connected in-vehicle infotainment system. The companies aim to create and advance a more convenient in-car experience for drivers and passengers alike.
News categories: LG Electronics, Qualcomm, Dr. I.P. Park, Jim Cathey, Digital TV, In-Car, Semiconductor, UX, Worldwide
Viacom and ACCESS partner on automotive TV in Germany
Aug 19, 2019 – ACCESS is acquiring from Viacom (VIMN) the right to make linear feeds of MTV, Comedy Central and Nickelodeon available in German-language for integration into in-car infotainment systems being developed by German car manufacturers.
News categories: ACCESS CO., Viacom, Dr Neale Foster, Raffaele Annecchino, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Germany, In-Car, Middleware
ZTE and China Telecom show 5G 8K+VR at MWC Shanghai 2019
Jun 28, 2019 – ZTE (0763.HK/000063.SZ) and China Telecom have demonstrated 5G 8K+VR at MWC Shanghai. Images and data were captured by an 8K VR 360° camera and transmitted via a 5G network, allowing visitors, wearing VR glasses, to enjoy an immersive viewing experience.
News categories: ZTE, China Telecom, 5G, China, Content Distribution, Digital TV, In-Car, MWC19, VR
SK Telecom demonstrates in-car 5G-ATSC 3.0 broadcasting
Jun 4, 2019 – SK Telecom (NYSE: SKM) has announced that it, together with Sinclair Broadcast Group and Harman International Industries, has demonstrated next-generation TV broadcasting by combining an ATSC 3.0-based broadcast system with SK Telecom’s 5G network.
News categories: SK Telecom, Sinclair Broadcast, Harman International, Park Jin-hyo, Chris Ripley, 5G, Advertising, ATSC, Content Distribution, Digital TV, In-Car, Korea, Terrestrial, USA
WMYD to host Detroit’s first Next-Gen TV station
May 15, 2019 – WMYD (NASDAQ: SSP) plans to launch Next-Gen TV in Detroit in a collaborative effort that will also involve Graham Media and other local broadcasters. The launch provides an opportunity for the automotive industry to have an in-market test bed for the new platform.
News categories: Scripps, Graham Media, Pearl TV, Brian Lawlor, Emily L. Barr, ATSC, Content Distribution, Digital TV, In-Car, USA
Linux, Android poised to dominate automotive infotainment systems
Apr 29, 2019 – Open source platforms Linux and Android are poised to take a leading role in the automotive infotainment market as OEMs seek to leverage the advantages of the platforms for more flexible, user-friendly infotainment interfaces, according to Strategy Analytics.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, Edward Sanchez, Richard Robinson, Digital TV, In-Car, Market Research, Middleware, Worldwide
ACCESS acquires NetRange
Apr 16, 2019 – ACCESS Europe has acquired NetRange. The acquisition guarantees that the company’s customers will be able to deploy solutions spanning the entire connected entertainment portfolio inside the home, on-the-go and in connected vehicles.
News categories: ACCESS CO, NetRange, Dr. Neale Foster, Jan Wendt, Digital TV, In-Car, MnA, OTT, Smart TV, Worldwide
SK Telecom, Harman and Sinclair to commercialize in-car ATSC 3.0
Jan 10, 2019 – SK Telecom (NYSE: SKM) and Sinclair Broadcast (Nasdaq: SBGI) have announced that with Harman they intend to jointly develop and commercialize digital broadcasting network-based automotive electronics technology for global markets.
News categories: Sinclair Broadcast, SK Telecom, Harman, Chris Ripley, Park Jung-ho, Dinesh Paliwal, ATSC, CES, Digital TV, In-Car, Korea, NABShow, USA, Worldwide
ACCESS CO and Irdeto partner to safeguard in-car data and services
Jan 8, 2019 – ACCESS CO. and Irdeto are partnering to safeguard in-car data and services. Vehicle connectivity can result in increased security threats. Infotainment systems could allow access to other connected components, rendering the vehicle's control systems open to attack.
News categories: ACCESS CO, Irdeto, Dr. Neale Foster, Niels Haverkorn, CES, Content Protection, In-Car, Worldwide
- Czech Television completes transition to DVB-T2 with Synamedia
- Thomson Broadcast and Viaccess-Orca secure DTT deployment in Mali
- Irdeto, Amlogic and Skyworth launch Android TV hybrid STB reference design
- NAGRA and KAON introduce Android TV streaming solution for pay-TV operators
- NAGRA, SDMC and Amlogic offer Android TV solution for pay-TV operators
- TRAI issues consultation paper on STB interoperability implementation
- Beenius signs reseller agreement for Caribbean and LatAm markets
- BBC explores targeting of promotional content using Sky technology
- Disney+ expected to reach 101 million subscribers
- Looper Insights adds set-top box VOD store content visibility
- MediaTek 8K DTV SoC begins volume production at TSMC
- BC Partners-owned United Group acquires Vivacom
- DISH Network pay TV subscribers up 148,000 in 3Q 2019
- Wurl extends its Samsung TV Plus footprint to Europe
- Maxis launches PAYG passes for VOD streaming
- Liberty Latin America sells Cable & Wireless Seychelles
- U.S. pay TV household penetration down to 75%
- Extreme Reach and Verance partner on reporting for Addressable TV
- NBA TV becomes 1st league network to launch SVOD service
- Openview renews satellite TV content protection with NAGRA