Games Console (Xbox, Playstation, PSP, Wii …) News
Roku stretches lead as #1 streaming TV platform in US
Jun 26, 2019 – Roku's platform accounted for more than 30% of U.S. sales of connected TV devices in Q1 2019, further increasing its lead in streaming TV platforms according to Strategy Analytics. The company's research finds that there are now more than 41 million Roku-based devices in use in the U.S.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, David Watkins, David Mercer, Digital TV, Games Console, Market Research, Middleware, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, USA
Atari VCS home gaming and entertainment platform unveiled
Jun 13, 2019 – Atari has made further announcements about its Atari VCS home gaming and entertainment platform. As well as gaming, the Atari VCS is optimized for video entertainment. The system is 4K HDR capable and supports video apps such as Netflix, Hulu, and Showtime.
News categories: Atari, Digital TV, Games Console, OTT, Semiconductor, Set Top Box, USA
Microsoft previews Xbox in the cloud and Project Scarlett console
Jun 9, 2019 – At the Xbox E3 Briefing, Xbox demonstrated its commitment to console gaming with a preview of its next generation machine due to arrive in 2020. Attendees were also among the first in the world to play Xbox One games streaming on smartphones and tablets.
News categories: Xbox, Phil Spencer, Digital TV, Games Console, OTT, Semiconductor, Set Top Box, USA, Worldwide
31% of U.S. adults watch video via a connected TV device daily
May 31, 2019 – Research from Leichtman Research Group (LRG) finds that 74% of U.S. TV households have at least one Internet-connected TV device, including connected Smart TVs, stand-alone streaming devices, connected video game systems, and/or connected Blu-ray players.
News categories: Leichtman Research, Bruce Leichtman, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, USA
Nintendo to re-take number one spot in game console market
Nov 29, 2018 – Nintendo is set to regain its leadership position in video game consoles for the first time since 2009, according to Strategy Analytics. Nintendo is expected to sell 17.3 million Switch consoles worldwide in 2019.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, David Watkins, Chirag Upadhyay, Games Console, Market Research, Worldwide
7% annual growth expected for connected TV devices in the U.S.
Sep 6, 2018 – In the U.S., at the end of 2017, 210 million devices were installed in consumer homes actively delivering internet connectivity to the TV screen, and by the end of 2021 there are forecast to be 275 million, according to The NPD Group.
News categories: NPD Group, John Buffone, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, USA
Global connected TV device installed base passes one billion unit mark
Aug 13, 2018 – According to Strategy Analytics, more than one billion Connected TV devices are now in use worldwide. Smart TVs have been consistently gaining share in the market and now stand at nearly 60% of the total installed base of devices.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, David Watkins, David Mercer, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, Worldwide
Over 40% of U.S. streaming media player owners use their device daily or almost daily
Jul 24, 2018 – Parks Associates has announced research showing streaming media players are the most frequently used Internet-connected entertainment device, with 41% of owners using their players daily or almost daily.
News categories: Parks Associates, Kristen Hanich, Blu-ray, Digital TV, Games Console, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, USA
More than 50% of U.S. broadband households own a smart TV
May 21, 2018 – Parks Associates’ new report 'Smart TVs vs. Streaming Media Players: Winning Over Consumers' reports that more than 50% of U.S. broadband households own a smart TV and more than 40% own a streaming media player.
News categories: Parks Associates, Jennifer Kent, Blu-ray, Games Console, Market Research, Set Top Box, Smart Home, Smart TV, USA
- Pay TV subscriptions exceed 1 billion
- Roku OS 9.2 to begin rollout
- Roku announces new streaming player line-up for UK
- Eros Now to develop online video platform with Microsoft
- FourthWall Media introduces Reveal 5 TV analytics and optimization platform
- Hearst Television moves to impressions-based selling of Local TV ad inventory
- Roku releases U.S. cord-cutting study
- Facebook introduces Portal TV set-top box
- CTA launches 8K Ultra HD logo program
- SVOD subscriptions soar by 38% in 2018
- Subscriptions now account for nearly 86% of US internet TV and movie spending
- NBCUniversal streaming service to be called 'Peacock'
- Vizio adds additional Alexa capabilities to SmartCast TVs
- LIWEST latest Austrian operator to deploy IPTV with Verimatrix and Ocilion
- Channel 4 to use Sky's AdSmart technology
- TV penetration in Sub-Saharan Africa still low
- Amazon Prime Video to be made available on Altice One
- NEOTION renews partnership with Irdeto
- Online video viewing to reach 100 minutes a day in 2021
- Irdeto secures Airtel Xstream 4K set-top box