Satellite Television (DBS, DTH, DSat, DVB-S, DVB-S2) News
U.S. cord cutting slows while satellite suffers record customer losses in Q2 2018
Aug 16, 2018 – According to Kagan, the pressure on traditional U.S. multichannel subscriptions abated in the second quarter – a positive direction that is further supported by the forwarded momentum of virtual services Sling TV and DIRECTV NOW.
News categories: S&P Global, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, Subscribers, USA
Global spend on TV and Video will reach $559 billion in 2022
Aug 14, 2018 – Strategy Analytics has forecast that global consumer and advertising spend on TV and video will grow from $490 billion in 2017 to $559 billion in 2022, an increase of $69 billion. Spend on OTT video will account for 90% of the growth.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, Michael Goodman, Advertising, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, OTT, Satellite, Terrestrial, Worldwide
Major U.S. pay TV providers lost ~415,000 subscribers in 2Q 2018
Aug 13, 2018 – Leichtman Research (LRG) has found that the largest pay-TV providers in the U.S. lost about 415,000 net video subscribers in 2Q 2018, compared to a pro forma loss of about 660,000 subscribers in 2Q 2017.
News categories: Leichtman Research, Bruce Leichtman, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, Subscribers, USA
Astro launches first 4K UHD broadcast in Malaysia
Aug 13, 2018 – Astro has achieved a milestone with the launch of Malaysia’s first live 4K UHD broadcast. The media company showcased live Premier League (PL) games in the country’s first 4K UHD broadcast for football fans at its partner food & beverage outlet, Souled Out.
News categories: Astro, Lee Choong Khay, Robert Wu, Yoonsoo Kim, Digital TV, Malaysia, Satellite, Smart TV
U.S. STB energy efficiency agreement saves $3.5 billion
Aug 9, 2018 – Consumers have saved $3.5 billion, and more than 20 million metric tons of CO2 emissions have been avoided as a result of the voluntary set-top box energy conservation agreement among pay-TV providers, manufacturers and energy efficiency advocates, according to D+R International.
News categories: CTA, ACEEE, NRDC, NCTA, D+R International, Doug Johnson, Jennifer Amann, Noah Horowitz, Neal Goldberg, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, Set Top Box, USA
DishTV launches Skill for Amazon Alexa in India
Aug 8, 2018 – Dish TV India has launched its skill for Amazon Alexa in India. The DishTV skill will help to users find programs and provide recommendations on programs, movies, sports and music. Once enabled, the skill allows users to interact with DishTV through voice commands.
News categories: Dish TV India, Amazon, Anil Dua, Dilip R.S., Digital TV, India, Satellite, Set Top Box, Smart Home
DISH TV down 192k; Sling TV up 41k subs in 2Q 2018
Aug 3, 2018 – DISH Network (NASDAQ: DISH) has reported results for the quarter ending June 30, 2018. Net Pay-TV subscribers declined approximately 151,000 subscribers, compared to a decline of approximately 196,000 in the second quarter 2017.
News categories: DISH Network, OTT, Results, Satellite, Subscribers, USA
Alticast helps deliver Thailand’s first 4K UHD channel
Jul 31, 2018 – Alticast has announced that its software platform, AltiPlatform, was instrumental in launching Thailand’s first 4K UHD channel with TrueVisions. The service, capable of transmitting UHD for both cable and DTH, rolled out on June 24.
News categories: Alticast, TrueVisions, Dosa Park, Sueksith Cholasuek, Cable TV, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Middleware, Satellite, Set Top Box, Thailand
Media Group Ukraine takes capacity on Eutelsat 9B
Jul 31, 2018 – Eutelsat (Paris: ETL) has signed a contract with Media Group Ukraine for broadcasting services on its EUTELSAT 9B satellite. Media Group Ukraine will broadcast 'Xtra TV', one of the country’s leading pay-TV platforms.
News categories: Eutelsat, Media Group Ukraine, Michel Azibert, Alexey Kurakin, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Satellite, Ukraine
- U.S. cord cutting slows while satellite suffers record customer losses in Q2 2018
- Gracenote mobile video analytics gives view on streaming app performance
- iflix and Wattpad to produce movies based on Wattpad stories from Indonesia
- U.S. voice-activated speaker sales to grow 50% by 2019
- Cogeco Connexion to introduce MediaFirst IPTV platform
- Global spend on TV and Video will reach $559 billion in 2022
- Telaria integrates Nielsen digital ad ratings
- Accedo launches AI project with AWS and ITV
- Kudelski's SmarDTV device business becomes Neotion affiliate
- Major U.S. pay TV providers lost ~415,000 subscribers in 2Q 2018
- Global connected TV device installed base passes one billion unit mark
- Google closes gap on Amazon in smart speaker market in Q2 2018
- Minute.ly launches real-time AI video analysis for live streams
- Europeans spending two more hours a month watching on-demand video
- Netflix on verge of 2 million viewers in New Zealand
- Astro launches first 4K UHD broadcast in Malaysia
- US SVOD subscriptions to reach 208 million
- U.S. STB energy efficiency agreement saves $3.5 billion
- Brightline adds Cuebiq's footfall attribution to OTT ad platform
- TELUS first in Canada with 24/7 linear 4K HDR channel