Satellite Television (DBS, DTH, DSat, DVB-S, DVB-S2) News
Freeview NZ PVR combines Freeview features with streaming apps
Dec 10, 2018 – Freeview, in collaboration with Dish TV, Google and local content providers, has released the first Android TV powered PVR in New Zealand. The Freeview Recorder combines the entire suite of Freeview features with apps and extra content available through Google Play.
News categories: Freeview NZ, Jason Foden, Android TV, Apps, Digital TV, New Zealand, OTT, Satellite, Set Top Box, Terrestrial
NAGRA secures United Group’s 4K Android TV platform
Dec 4, 2018 – NAGRA (SIX:KUD.S) has announced that it is securing EON, the latest video service launched by United Group, in four markets: Serbia (SBB), Slovenia (Telemach), Bosnia and Herzegovina (Telemach), and Montenegro (Telemach).
News categories: NAGRA, United Group, Thierry Legrand, Victoriya Boklag, Android TV, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Cable TV, Content Protection, Digital TV, Montenegro, Satellite, Serbia, Slovenia
Wyplay to work on HD and 4K DVR enhancements for Vrio
Dec 4, 2018 – Wyplay has announced that it has been contracted to work on enhancements to the newly launched HD and 4K DVRs for Latin America and SKY Brasil. The hybrid products provide satellite and internet enabled video streams and ISDB-T.
News categories: Wyplay, Vrio, Jacques Bourgninaud, Brazil, Caribbean, Digital TV, ISDB-T, Latin America, Satellite, Set Top Box, UX
NHK partners with Eutelsat to launch world’s first 8K channel
Dec 3, 2018 – NHK has partnered with Eutelsat (NYSE: ETL) to launch the world’s first 8K network: BS8K. A live broadcast took place on December 2nd from the Vatican where images were transmitted to Tokyo via EUTELSAT 12 West B with an uplink provided by M-three Satcom.
News categories: Eutelsat, NHK, M-three Satcom, Gerry O’Sullivan, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Japan, Satellite
NHK launches world's first 8K broadcasting service
Nov 27, 2018 – NHK will launch two new channels, NHK BS4K and NHK BS8K, on December 1st. NHK has been developing ultra-high definition 8K image systems since 1995 and NHK BS8K will be the world's first 8K channel.
News categories: NHK, Digital TV, Japan, Satellite
AXS Bolivia launches satellite pay TV
Nov 26, 2018 – On November 5th, AXS Bolivia S.A. launched a satellite pay TV service called 'Direct HD de AXS'. The service includes between 60 and 70 channels in high definition depending on the package chosen. The service is available throughout Bolivia.
News categories: AXS Bolivia, Bolivia, Digital TV, Satellite
Fibre becomes leading way of accessing pay TV in Portugal
Nov 26, 2018 – According to Anacom, optical fibre (FTTH/B) became the principal means of accessing subscription television in Portugal in the first half of 2018, with 1.47 million subscribers, 38.2% of the total.
News categories: Anacom, Cable TV, Digital TV, Fibre, IPTV, Market Research, Portugal, Satellite, Subscribers
Speedcast provides DTH for Malaysia's digital TV switchover
Nov 22, 2018 – Speedcast (ASX: SDA) has announced that it will play a key role in Malaysia's switch from analogue TV to digital TV through a DTH solution. Speedcast has partnered with MYTV Broadcasting for the project.
News categories: Speedcast, MYTV Broadcasting, Pierre-Jean Beylier, Michael Chan, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Malaysia, Satellite, Terrestrial
Telekom Srbija to launch DTH with SES at 23.5°E
Nov 15, 2018 – Viewers in Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, and Montenegro will soon have access to content delivered by Telekom Srbija from SES’ orbital location at 23.5°E. Telekom Srbija’s DTH platform will start broadcasting in mid-December.
News categories: SES S.A, Telekom Srbija, Martin Ornass-Kubacki, Marijana Vukasinovic, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Montenegro, Satellite, Serbia
- Appetite for streaming in the Nordics continues to grow
- Demand for Netflix Originals set to overtake licensed titles in the U.S.
- Androidmov Technology unveils IPTV UX software
- Updated specifications for digital distribution of film and TV released
- DoubleVerify adds brand safety and suitability verification for YouTube
- 2019 predictions from Openwave Mobility
- EU agrees rules to facilitate access to online TV across borders
- 28% of U.S. smart speaker owners use it to control a smart home device
- Consumer IoT to be worth $6.6bn for telcos
- Viaccess-Orca to power Guigo TV live OTT service in Brazil
- Turkcell chooses Metrological to provide TV+ app store
- Wyplay source code powers Telefónica IPTV in Argentina
- EU to investigate acquisition by Vodafone of Liberty Global businesses
- Verizon begins Fios TV One rollout
- Vubiquity and Discover Digital launch VOD with TelOne Zimbabwe
- Telefonica Spain upgrades Movistar+ UI to add Netflix
- Go See TV and Flowplayer launch Shoppable Content Player
- Nordija wins IPTV contract from US fibre operator Ting
- Deutsche Telekom and MediaKind first to stream 6K tiled 360° live sport
- Shanghai sees world's first 4K UHD live broadcast via 5G network slicing