Satellite Television (DBS, DTH, DSat, DVB-S, DVB-S2) News
MEASAT selects Arianespace for launch of MEASAT-3d
Nov 21, 2019 – Arianespace and MEASAT have announced the signature of a launch services contract for MEASAT-3d. MEASAT-3d will support 4G and 5G mobile networks in Malaysia while continuing to provide distribution capacity for video in the Asia-Pacific region.
News categories: Arianespace, MEASAT, Stéphane Israël, Asia, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Malaysia, Satellite
ADB builds satellite STB platform with MediaTek
Nov 21, 2019 – ADB has selected MediaTek as the chipset provider for its latest 4K satellite STB platform. ADB is currently deploying its products for major Pay-TV operators in Europe and Australia. The platform runs on ADB's own software.
News categories: Advanced Digital Broadcast, MediaTek, Krzysztof Biliński, Winson Hsu, Australia, Digital TV, Europe, Middleware, Satellite, Semiconductor, Set Top Box
Dish TV India adds 42,000 subscribers in 3Q 2019
Nov 14, 2019 – Dish TV India (BSE: 532839, NSE: DISHTV, LSE: DTVL) has reported results for the quarter ended September 30, 2019. The Company added 42 thousand subscribers at a net level during the period. The total net subscriber base finished at 23.94 million.
News categories: Dish TV India, Anil Dua, Digital TV, India, Results, Satellite, Subscribers
U.S. traditional video subscribers down nearly 1.9 million in 3Q 2019
Nov 14, 2019 – Kagan, a TMT research group within S&P Global Market Intelligence, estimates that traditional multichannel subscribers in the U.S. fell by nearly 1.9 million in the three months ended Sept. 30, a 25% spike from the previous largest drop in the second quarter of 2019.
News categories: S&P Global, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, OTT, Satellite, Subscribers, USA
Major U.S. pay-TV providers lost 1.74 million subscribers in 3Q 2019
Nov 13, 2019 – Leichtman Research Group (LRG) has found that the largest pay-TV providers in the U.S. – representing about 93% of the market – lost about 1,740,000 net video subscribers in 3Q 2019, compared to a pro forma net loss of about 975,000 subscribers in 3Q 2018.
News categories: Leichtman Research, Bruce Leichtman, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, OTT, Satellite, Subscribers, USA
Astro Malaysia releases Astro Ultra Box
Nov 13, 2019 – Astro Malaysia has announced its Astro Ultra Box. The Ultra experience includes 4K UHD, Cloud Recording, a new user interface, improved content recommendations, play from start functions and the ability to record multiple shows at the same time.
News categories: Astro Malaysia, Henry Tan, Digital TV, Malaysia, Satellite, Set Top Box
Eutelsat signs up Orao Telecom Congo for CIRRUS hybrid satellite/OTT
Nov 12, 2019 – Eutelsat (Paris: ETL) has announced a contract with Orao Telecom Congo for video capacity on one of its satellites at 7° East. Orao Telecom Congo has also signed up for Eutelsat CIRRUS, Eutelsat’s hybrid satellite/OTT channel delivery system.
News categories: Eutelsat, Orao Telecom, Philippe Oliva, François Mbilo Bompate, Content Distribution, Digital TV, DRC, Satellite
BBC explores targeting of promotional content using Sky technology
Nov 11, 2019 – Sky and the BBC are to collaborate on content and technology. The BBC iPlayer app and connected red-button service will launch on Sky Q, and the companies will explore the use of Sky’s targeting technology, to serve up more personalised promotional content to BBC viewers.
News categories: Sky, BBC, Stephen van Rooyen, Bob Shennan, Apps, Big Data, Digital TV, Satellite, UK
DISH Network pay TV subscribers up 148,000 in 3Q 2019
Nov 7, 2019 – DISH Network (NASDAQ: DISH) has reported results for the quarter ending September 30, 2019. The company closed the quarter with 12.18 million pay TV subscribers, including 9.49 million DISH TV and 2.69 million Sling TV subscribers.
News categories: DISH Network, Digital TV, Results, Satellite, Subscribers, USA
- Fincons Group joins Deutsche TV-Plattform
- Samba TV taps Oracle Moat to measure viewability of CTV ads
- Amazon Prime Video app added to TiVo devices at Atlantic Broadband
- TekSavvy TV launches Cloud PVR and advanced features
- CJ Hello deploys ATEME transcoding solution
- US: Netflix grabs the most attention, but its reign will be challenged
- AWS compute and storage available at the edge of 5G networks
- FOX selects AWS as its cloud and machine learning provider
- TiVo launches Prime Video App to its U.S. pay-TV operator customers
- KPN integrates Amazon Prime Video into the TV menu
- Vodafone UK offers Apple TV 4K with unlimited broadband and mobile data
- A1 Bulgaria launches advanced TV with Zappware
- Tru Optik and Anzu.io to bring targeting to in-game advertising
- 14.5 million Australians now paying TV subscriptions
- EE hosts 5G-powered multi-location augmented reality gig
- Four-fifths of broadcasters considering personalised ads
- 3Q 2019 TV shipments grow 16.8% QoQ owing to peak season
- Worldwide spending on AR/VR expected to reach $18.8bn in 2020
- 13.7 million EU citizens streaming unauthorised IPTV
- WIND-Hellas launching Cloud Recordings with Zappware