Satellite Television (DBS, DTH, DSat, DVB-S, DVB-S2) News
Major U.S. pay TV providers lost 656,000 subscribers in 2Q 2017
Aug 17, 2017 – Leichtman Research Group (LRG) has found that the largest pay-TV providers in the US lost about 656,000 net video subscribers in 2Q 2017, compared to a loss of about 715,000 subscribers in 2Q 2016.
News categories: Leichtman Research, Bruce Leichtman, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Satellite, Subscribers, USA
Dish TV India adds 186,000 subscribers in 2Q 2017
Aug 17, 2017 – Dish TV India (BSE: 532839, NSE: DISHTV) has reported results for the quarter ended June 30, 2017. Net additions at 0.186 million were higher by 12.7% on a Q-o-Q basis. Churn at 1% p.m. was slightly higher than the 0.9% p.m. in the previous quarter.
News categories: Dish TV India, Digital TV, India, MnA, Results, Satellite, Subscribers
U.S. pay TV subscriber losses almost one million in 2Q 2017
Aug 16, 2017 – The U.S. legacy multichannel universe lost a record number of customers in the quarter ended June 30, 2017, but managed to keep the decline below the symbolic one-million threshold, according to Kagan.
News categories: Kagan, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, Subscribers, USA
Pay TV market to reach $254.77bn by 2025
Aug 16, 2017 – The global pay TV market is expected to reach USD 254.77 billion by 2025, according to Grand View Research. The development of new platforms coupled with wider content options has driven the market growth.
News categories: Grand View Research, Cable TV, Digital TV, IPTV, Market Research, Satellite, Worldwide
Cord-cutting in Canada slows in the first half of 2017
Aug 14, 2017 – Canada’s publicly traded TV service providers lost 22% fewer TV subscribers in the first half of 2017 compared to the same period in 2016, bucking the trend of accelerating TV cord-cutting in recent years, according to Boon Dog Professional Services.
News categories: Boon Dog, Mario Mota, Cable TV, Canada, Digital TV, IPTV, Satellite, Subscribers
Amazonas 5 satellite arrives at Baikonur spaceport
Aug 10, 2017 – The Amazonas 5 satellite has arrived at the ILS launch site in Baikonur, Kazakhstan. It has 24 transponders in the Ku band offering coverage over Central and South America that will provide DTH television services.
News categories: Hispasat, International Launch Services, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Latin America, Satellite
BSAT-4a delivered to Arianespace launch base
Aug 8, 2017 – Space Systems Loral (SSL) has announced that the BSAT-4a satellite has arrived at the European Spaceport in Kourou, French Guiana, from where it will be launched. The satellite will be used for DTH television service in Japan.
News categories: Space Systems Loral, B-SAT, Paul Estey, Takashi Yabashi, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Japan, Satellite
DISH pay TV subscribers down 196,000 in 2Q 2017
Aug 3, 2017 – DISH Network (NASDAQ: DISH) has reported results for the quarter ending June 30, 2017. In the second quarter, net Pay-TV subscribers declined approximately 196,000, compared to a decline of approximately 281,000 in the second quarter 2016.
News categories: DISH Network, Digital TV, OTT, Results, Satellite, Subscribers, USA
AsiaSat 9 set for 28 September launch
Jul 31, 2017 – AsiaSat 9 is set for launch on 28 September. AsiaSat 9 will replace AsiaSat 4 at 122°E longitude. The new satellite will deliver significantly improved performance and higher efficiency for customers’ services.
News categories: AsiaSat, Andrew Jordan, Asia, Digital TV, Satellite
- Latin America OTT TV and video thrives despite free services
- Major U.S. pay TV providers lost 656,000 subscribers in 2Q 2017
- Dish TV India adds 186,000 subscribers in 2Q 2017
- RTÉ plans next generation RTÉ Player with Fincons Group
- AWS Elemental video processing selected by NOWO for OTT
- Espial signs DevOps agreement with NOS
- Turner to launch U.S. sports streaming platform with UEFA matches
- EE TV first UK STB with Amazon Alexa integration
- U.S. mMVPD subscribers largely pleased with service value
- ABC Network subscribes to Nielsen National Out-of-Home Measurement
- U.S. pay TV subscriber losses almost one million in 2Q 2017
- PeerLogix partners with ad services provider and releases OTT viewing data
- Pay TV market to reach $254.77bn by 2025
- Xstream launches OTT monetisation tool
- RealNetworks and CIBN Oriental deploy RealMedia HD video codec
- 18:9 aspect ratio device shipments to reach 611 million units by 2021
- Nielsen to include credit for viewing on Facebook, Hulu and YouTube
- Accedo and Channel 4 extend All 4 to Now TV
- Zenterio powers MAXtv IPTV STB at Hrvatski Telekom in Croatia
- IHS Markit Analysis: The Wired Interface Technology Market