VR (Virtual Reality) and 3DTV News
Clear potential for VR headsets after a slow start
Feb 23, 2017 – CCS Insight's latest forecast for VR and AR devices reflects the relatively slow start to this nascent market. However, CCS Insight continues to believe the segment holds great potential and can deliver healthy growth over the next five years and beyond.
News categories: CCS Insight, Ben Wood, Market Research, VR, Worldwide
Google dominates VR headset shipments
Feb 21, 2017 – 2016 saw the launch of multiple new VR platforms. Strategy Analytics estimates that over 30 million VR headsets shipped, split between 6 major competing VR platforms in an increasingly fragmented landscape.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, David MacQueen, Cliff Raskind, Market Research, MWC17, VR, Worldwide
Australian sales of VR headsets exceed 200,000 units in 2016
Feb 21, 2017 – Sales of virtual reality headsets are off to a strong start in Australia with more than 200,000 units sold in 2016 with mobile VR taking around 70 per cent share of units sold, according to Telsyte.
News categories: Telsyte, Foad Fadaghi, Australia, Market Research, VR
SK Telecom to unveil ‘360 VR Live’ at MWC 2017
Feb 20, 2017 – SK Telecom (NYSE:SKM) has announced that it will unveil its '360 VR Live' 360-degree live broadcast platform at Mobile World Congress (MWC) 2017. The platform produces UHD VR through differentiated stitching technology.
News categories: SK Telecom, Park Jin-hyo, MWC17, VR, Worldwide
HTC takes VR lead in China, the world’s second largest market
Feb 16, 2017 – The virtual reality industry got off to a strong start in China, with around 300,000 VR headsets shipping in 2016, making it the world’s second largest market with a share of around 15%. HTC took the top spot.
News categories: Canalys, Jason Low, China, Digital TV, Market Research, VR
Virtual Reality device shipments to hit 110 million by 2021
Feb 9, 2017 – ABI Research forecasts total VR device shipments will reach 110 million by 2021. While mobile device-reliant VR shipments dwarf today's other VR device types, standalone devices will see a 405% CAGR through 2021, compared to a 42% CAGR for mobile VR.
News categories: ABI Research, Eric Abbruzzese, Market Research, VR, Worldwide
Keepixo and Divitel live stream Bavarian music festival in 360° video
Feb 9, 2017 – Keepixo has partnered with Divitel to live stream a concert in 360° video. The companies cooperated to enable a major Bavarian media company to broadcast its annual music festival live in 360° for the first time. Three Nokia OZO cameras captured the event.
News categories: Keepixo, Divitel, Nokia, Jerome Blanc, Wouter Slot, Digital TV, Germany, Infrastructure, VR
The Venture Reality Fund and LucidWeb release European VR company survey
Feb 7, 2017 – The Venture Reality Fund (The VR Fund) has released its first-ever European virtual reality (VR) landscape, featuring dozens of companies developing infrastructure, tools/platforms and/or apps for the booming ecosystem.
News categories: The Venture Reality Fund, LucidWeb, Tipatat Chennavasin, Leen Segers, Austria, Belarus, Belgium, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Market Research, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Russia, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UK, VR
China VR market set for 4-fold expansion in 2017
Jan 24, 2017 – China's VR industry is expected to expand more than 4-fold in 2017 as more major players enter the industry and new and exciting content drives growth, IDC forecasts.
News categories: IDC, China, Market Research, VR
- NEOTION and Verimatrix collaborate to secure the smart home
- VimpelCom becomes VEON and launches OTT platform
- Frontier to test 4K Ultra HD content on SES platform
- NEOTION shows smart home solution with Climax sensors at MWC17
- Cognitive intelligence platform enables Telefónica customers to manage their own data
- Netgem shows smart home at MWC17; Invests in Voxtok
- UK consults on illicit IPTV streaming device regulation
- Gracenote unveils entertainment data products for video, music and sports
- Clear potential for VR headsets after a slow start
- OTT content is driving demand for streaming media devices and smart TVs
- New Zealand Commerce Commission blocks Vodafone/Sky merger
- Eurofins Digital Testing signs strategic agreement with Nokia
- Nokia and AT&T conduct 5G streaming tests with DIRECTV NOW
- KAONMEDIA STB with AI home assistant deployed by Korea Telecom
- DISH Network adds 28,000 pay TV subscribers in 4Q 2016
- Tata Elxsi and Portugal's NOS partner to accelerate RDK deployment
- MobiTV announces $21M in additional funding
- Tru Optik and LiveRamp make first-party data actionable across connected TVs
- Viaplay selects Unified Streaming to optimize Scandinavian viewer experience
- Google dominates VR headset shipments