VR (Virtual Reality) and Immersive Video News
8% of US broadband households own a VR headset
Apr 15, 2019 – According to Parks Associates, gaming remains the primary use case for VR headsets in the U.S. Familiarity with VR remains at around one-fourth of US broadband households, with gamers most likely to be familiar with the technology.
News categories: Parks Associates, Billy Nayden, Digital TV, Market Research, USA, VR
Empire to open multi-sensory cinemas in Saudi Arabia
Apr 2, 2019 – Al-Rashed Empire Cinema Consortium has signed a deal with CJ 4DPLEX to open 10 4DX theatres around Saudi Arabia by 2023. 4DX enhances the on-screen visuals through special effects including motion synchronized seats, wind, fog, rain, lightning, snow, bubble, vibration, and scents.
News categories: CJ 4DPLEX, JongRyul Kim, Gino Haddad, Digital TV, Saudi Arabia, VR
Immersive Digital Experiences Alliance to debut at NAB Show 2019
Mar 21, 2019 – The Immersive Digital Experiences Alliance (IDEA) will launch at the 2019 NAB Show with the goal of creating a suite of royalty-free specifications that address all immersive media formats, including emerging light field technology.
News categories: Immersive Digital Experiences Alliance, Dr. Arianne Hinds, Digital TV, NABShow, USA, VR, Worldwide
InterDigital and Technicolor to demo immersive video experiences at MWC19
Feb 25, 2019 – InterDigital (NASDAQ: IDCC) is teaming with the Research and Innovation unit of Technicolor to demonstrate evolving immersive video technologies at Mobile World Congress 2019. The demos are the first public collaboration between InterDigital and Technicolor R&I.
News categories: Technicolor, InterDigital, Gael Seydoux, Valerie Allié, Rémi Rousseau, Dr. Ralf Schaefer, Digital TV, MWC19, VR, Worldwide
Singtel, Optus, Ericsson and OPPO make 5G AR call between Singapore and Australia
Feb 22, 2019 – Singtel, Optus and Ericsson have made a 5G video call with Augmented Reality (AR) between Singapore and Australia. Made with OPPO 5G test devices, the call marks the latest 5G highlight for Singtel, Optus, Ericsson and OPPO.
News categories: Singtel, Optus, Ericsson, OPPO, Mark Chong, Allen Lew, Martin Wiktorin, Peter Huang, 5G, Australia, Digital TV, Singapore, VR
Intel True View to bring immersive experiences to football fans
Feb 7, 2019 – In partnership with Arsenal FC, Liverpool FC and Manchester City, Intel will deliver immersive experiences via Intel True View at Emirates Stadium, Anfield and the Etihad Stadium. Fans worldwide will be able to enjoy the biggest moments of the match from every angle.
News categories: Intel Corp, Content Distribution, Digital TV, Semiconductor, UK, VR
DOCOMO develops 360° 8K 3D VR system for live streaming
Feb 4, 2019 – NTT DOCOMO has announced that it has developed what is believed to be the world's first 8K 3D virtual reality (VR) system for live video streaming and viewing at 60 frames per second (fps) over 5G mobile communications.
News categories: NTT DOCOMO, 5G, Digital TV, Japan, VR, Worldwide
Global VR headset shipments to exceed 21 million in 2019
Jan 30, 2019 – According to Juniper Research, Virtual Reality (VR) headset shipments will reach 54 million by 2023, up from an estimated 21 million this year. This is a growth of 160%, as demand increases following an underwhelming year for VR in 2018.
News categories: Juniper Research, Sam Barker, Market Research, VR, Worldwide
WarnerMedia launches content innovation lab
Jan 22, 2019 – WarnerMedia has announced plans to launch the WarnerMedia Innovation Lab, an incubator that will combine emerging technologies with content from across its operating units to create new and innovative consumer experiences and businesses.
News categories: WarnerMedia, John Stankey, Jesse Redniss, 5G, Advertising, Big Data, Digital TV, Smart Home, USA, VR
- Interra Systems adds support for Dolby Vision to its QC platform
- Global SVoD revenues to grow 25% in 2019 to $36bn
- Rohde & Schwarz wins DVB-T2 transmitter contract in Egypt
- Allegro DVT introduces real-time AV1 encoder IP for 4K/UHD video
- Double digit growth for flat panel displays in 2018
- FreeWheel and A+E Networks pilot unified ad decisioning engine
- GatesAir and Foccus Digital upgrade ISDB-Tb transmitters for TV Record in Brazil
- Global 5G smartphone shipments to reach 5 million units in 2019
- Atlantic Broadband brings new TiVo experience to Low Country area of South Carolina
- Deltatre releases report on sports streaming
- Shemaroo enters the US market with ShemarooMe VOD launch
- Philo unveils connected TV ad platform
- Swisscom switches on Switzerland’s first 5G network
- US SVOD subscriptions to reach 270 million
- Premium video solidifies its position in the European marketplace
- Amazon bulk certifies Espial Elevate operators for Alexa voice control
- ACCESS acquires NetRange
- AT&T sells Hulu minority stake back to Hulu
- Witbe implements Nielsen Watermark Detection
- TekSavvy TV launching in Toronto