VR (Virtual Reality) and Immersive Video News
DOCOMO develops 360° 8K VR live video streaming and viewing system
Jul 5, 2018 – NTT DOCOMO has announced that it has developed what is believed to be the world's first 8K VR live streaming and viewing system for showing events in 360° 8K VR video. A head-mounted system creates highly realistic VR experiences.
News categories: NTT DOCOMO, Digital TV, Japan, OTT, VR, Worldwide
Samsung, Cisco and Orange trial 5G home entertainment and smart city applications in Romania
Jul 2, 2018 – Samsung and Cisco have announced the completion of a trial and 5G demonstrations with Orange in Romania. During the trial, several parallel UHD videos and VR sessions were streamed simultaneously over the same 5G broadband connection.
News categories: Samsung, Cisco Systems, Orange, GY Seo, Yvette Kanouff, Arnaud Vamparys, 5G, Digital TV, Romania, VR
UK entertainment & media sector to grow by £8bn over the next 4 years
Jun 6, 2018 – The UK Entertainment and Media sector will be worth £76bn by 2022, according to PwC. Overall, the market will grow by £8bn over the next four years, making the UK the second largest market in Europe, the Middle East and Africa (EMEA), after Germany.
News categories: PwC, Mark Maitland, Advertising, Digital TV, Market Research, Multiscreen, OTT, UK, VR
PwC releases Global Entertainment & Media Outlook 2018-2022
Jun 5, 2018 – According to PwC, the ongoing rapid evolution of the industry has entered a dynamic new phase. Amid growth that is broad-based and consistent three imperatives are affecting every company in the industry: convergence, connecting with consumers and the need to build trust.
News categories: PwC, Ennèl van Eeden, Christopher Vollmer, Digital TV, Market Research, Multiscreen, OTT, VR, Worldwide
Qualcomm reveals first dedicated Extended Reality (XR) platform
May 30, 2018 – Qualcomm (NASDAQ:QCOM) has debuted its Snapdragon XR1 Platform, the world’s first dedicated Extended Reality (XR) platform. XR1 offers mainstream users high-quality XR experiences while enabling OEMs to develop mainstream devices.
News categories: Qualcomm, Alex Katouzian, Digital TV, Semiconductor, Smartphone, VR, Worldwide
Sky announces new Innovation Centre in latest phase of campus development
May 21, 2018 – Sky has announced that it plans to build a dedicated innovation centre on its Osterley campus. The space will house engineers and developers focusing on innovation across Sky’s broadcast and streaming platforms, consumer products and other activities including VR.
News categories: Sky, Jeremy Darroch, Digital TV, OTT, Satellite, Set Top Box, UK, VR
NBCUniversal to produce VR content for YouTube
Apr 30, 2018 – NBCUniversal has teamed up with Google to produce VR content that gives audiences a unique way to experience some of their favorite networks and shows. They’ll be made available on YouTube, and can be viewed on the web or using any mobile phone.
News categories: NBCUniversal, Google, Ron Lamprecht, Amit Singh, Digital TV, OTT, VR, Worldwide
AR and VR consumer content and apps market at $3.2 billion in 2017
Apr 10, 2018 – There was good progress in the combined virtual reality (VR) and augmented reality (AR) market in 2017, as a growing user base invested in more content, apps and out-of-home VR entertainment, according to IHS Markit (Nasdaq: INFO).
News categories: IHS Markit, Piers Harding-Rolls, Digital TV, Market Research, VR, Worldwide
VR/AR device market worth $1.8 billion in 2018
Apr 9, 2018 – According to CCS Insight the worldwide market for virtual reality (VR) and augmented reality (AR) head-worn devices will grow by an average of 50% annually over the next five years. In 2022, a total of 121 million units will be sold.
News categories: CCS Insight, George Jijiashvili, Market Research, VR, Worldwide
- U.S. cord cutting slows while satellite suffers record customer losses in Q2 2018
- Gracenote mobile video analytics gives view on streaming app performance
- iflix and Wattpad to produce movies based on Wattpad stories from Indonesia
- U.S. voice-activated speaker sales to grow 50% by 2019
- Cogeco Connexion to introduce MediaFirst IPTV platform
- Global spend on TV and Video will reach $559 billion in 2022
- Telaria integrates Nielsen digital ad ratings
- Accedo launches AI project with AWS and ITV
- Kudelski's SmarDTV device business becomes Neotion affiliate
- Major U.S. pay TV providers lost ~415,000 subscribers in 2Q 2018
- Global connected TV device installed base passes one billion unit mark
- Google closes gap on Amazon in smart speaker market in Q2 2018
- Minute.ly launches real-time AI video analysis for live streams
- Europeans spending two more hours a month watching on-demand video
- Netflix on verge of 2 million viewers in New Zealand
- Astro launches first 4K UHD broadcast in Malaysia
- US SVOD subscriptions to reach 208 million
- U.S. STB energy efficiency agreement saves $3.5 billion
- Brightline adds Cuebiq's footfall attribution to OTT ad platform
- TELUS first in Canada with 24/7 linear 4K HDR channel