Middle-East and North Africa Digital TV News
beIN dispute hits MENA pay TV subscribers
Jan 21, 2019 – According to Digital TV Research, pay TV revenues for 20 MENA countries fell by 11% between 2016 and 2018 to just under $3 billion. Given the hangover from the beIN ban and falling ARPUs, revenues in 2024 will still be lower than in 2016.
News categories: Digital TV Research, Simon Murray, Digital TV, Market Research, Middle-East
Smart speaker sales explode in EMEA in 3Q 2018
Dec 20, 2018 – According to IDC, the smart home market in Europe, the Middle East, and Africa grew 31.4% in 3Q18, reaching 23.6 million units shipped. All product categories posted double-digit growth, with smart speakers growing 116.7% in the quarter.
News categories: IDC, António Arantes, Europe, Market Research, Middle-East, Smart Home
Brightcove releases research on consumer video streaming preferences
Dec 18, 2018 – Brightcove (NASDAQ: BCOV) has announced the results of its 2018 Global Consumer Streaming Habits Survey, analyzing global consumer consumption preferences across generations when it comes to live and on-demand streaming video content.
News categories: Brightcove, Sara Larsen, Australia, Canada, Digital TV, France, Germany, Market Research, Multiscreen, OTT, Spain, UAE, USA
beIN MEDIA announces satellite migration to Eutelsat
Dec 18, 2018 – beIN MEDIA GROUP has announced that it is migrating its transponder capacity from Nilesat over to Eutelsat 8°W. After December 31, subscribers will need to ensure that their set top boxes are reconfigured to avoid any interruptions.
News categories: beIN MEDIA, Eutelsat, Digital TV, Middle-East, Satellite, Set Top Box
du teams up with Amazon Prime Video
Oct 18, 2018 – du has signed a distribution agreement with Amazon Prime Video to offer du customers even greater choice in video content. The announcement was made during GITEX Technology Week 2018, where the telco is showcasing its advanced technologies.
News categories: 'du', Prime Video, Fahad Al Hassawi, Digital TV, IPTV, OTT, UAE
iflix app certified for Vewd-enabled Smart TVs and STBs
Oct 11, 2018 – Vewd and iflix have partnered to make iflix available on Vewd enabled devices. The iflix app has been certified for the Vewd ecosystem, meaning that it can be deployed on millions of connected TVs and STBs without challenging integration.
News categories: Vewd, iflix, Aneesh Rajaram, Mark Britt, Africa, Apps, Asia, Digital TV, Middle-East, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV
Pay-TV penetration in Africa and the Middle East to grow rapidly
Sep 26, 2018 – Africa and the Middle East (AME) pay-TV household penetration is expected to outpace all other major regions between 2017 and 2022, increasing from 16% in 2017 to 23.2% in 2022, according to GlobalData. The AME pay-TV market is relatively underdeveloped but is growing rapidly.
News categories: GlobalData, Jonathan Bachrach, Africa, Digital TV, Market Research, Middle-East
Lebanon's CableVision to launch IPTV with Meatel, Alpha Networks, Amino, Broadpeak and Viaccess
Sep 16, 2018 – Lebanon's CableVision is soon to launch an IP-based entertainment service that has been integrated by Meatel and enabled by a service delivery platform from Alpha Networks, Amino client devices, Broadpeak’s CDN and Viaccess’ security suite and media player.
News categories: Broadpeak, Viaccess, Alpha Networks, Amino, Cablevision, Fabrice Bellanger, Arnaud Alvarez, Pascal Birot, Bart Vanderostyne, Bassam Jaber, Samer Elia, Content Distribution, Content Protection, Digital TV, IPTV, Lebanon, Media Player, Multiscreen, Set Top Box
Israel's Hot uses Interra Systems to monitor QoE for linear and streaming TV
Sep 14, 2018 – Interra Systems has announced that Hot, an Israeli cable operator, is using Interra Systems' monitoring solutions for its existing linear and new OTT services respectively. Nisko Technologies provided its expertise for the deployment.
News categories: Interra Systems, Hot, Kanishka Tongya, Sanjay Mittal, Cable TV, Digital TV, IBCShow, Israel, QoE
- beIN dispute hits MENA pay TV subscribers
- Steady growth masks seismic shifts in US video and TV market
- BlackBerry joins the Velos Media licensing platform
- Singapore to introduce measures against illicit streaming devices
- BritBox surpasses half a million subscribers
- DAZN drives global growth via social video with Grabyo
- Euskaltel decoders now integrate Amazon Prime Video
- Cox Media and Nielsen renew TV and audio measurement agreement
- OTT TV market far from being saturated
- TDG research shows sensitivity of Netflix subscribers to price rises
- Sinclair Broadcast launches free TV streaming service, STIRR
- Wurl launches server-side ad insertion for Connected TVs
- 16% of U.S. broadband households share online video passwords
- OTE agrees to sell Telekom Albania to Albania Telecom Invest
- Mediamorph achieves record customer acquisitions in 2018
- Half of all U.S. video viewing is done with others
- ShortsTV selects Synacor's Cloud Identity Platform
- SpotX releases '2019 Video Advertising Trends' report
- Mirada multiscreen solution launches at One Communications in Bermuda
- Vestel releases first CASTVs with integrated broadcast pay TV