Digital TV News: Xbox
Global TV game console sales to shrink 12 percent in 2013
Jun 6, 2013 – PlayStation 4 and Xbox One will reinvigorate the TV game console market in 2014, however, the market is projected to continue the downturn in 2013, according to the latest research published by Strategy Analytics' Connected Home Devices (CHD) service.
News categories: Strategy Analytics, Games Console, Market Research, OTT
Microsoft unveils Xbox One home entertainment system
May 21, 2013 – Microsoft (Nasdaq: MSFT) has unveiled its Xbox One, an all-in-one gaming and entertainment system. At Microsoft's headquarters, the company has showcased how Xbox One puts the user at the center for games, TV, movies, music, sports and Skype.
News categories: Xbox, Digital TV, Games Console, OTT, Set Top Box
More than 3,000 on-demand services in Europe
May 16, 2013 – The European Audiovisual Observatory has just taken stock of on-demand audiovisual services on the occasion of the Cannes Film Market. These data are available in the MAVISE database, which has now been expanded to cover on-demand audiovisual services in Europe.
News categories: European Audiovisual Observatory, Europe, Market Research
Apple iTunes Dominates Internet Video Market
Apr 23, 2013 – According to NPD, Apple dominates the home digital-video sector in much the same way that it dominates digital music. iTunes’ share of electronic sell-through for television shows reached 67 percent in 2012 with Xbox Video, the nearest competitor, on 14 percent of the market.
News categories: NPD Group, Digital TV, Market Research, OTT
Gaming Consoles Lead Global Connected TV Usage
Apr 9, 2013 – With growing interest in streaming content, online gaming, and apps on TVs, households are increasingly finding ways to connect their TVs to the Internet. In several developed countries, game consoles have become the most popular way to make that connection, according to NPD DisplaySearch.
News categories: DisplaySearch, Blu-ray, China, Digital TV, DVD, France, Games Console, Germany, Italy, Japan, Market Research, OTT, Set Top Box, Smart TV, UK, USA
Foxtel to launch OTT TV service in Australia
Mar 14, 2013 – Australia's Foxtel has announced Foxtel Play, an internet delivered TV service to be available across a range of computers, TVs and games consoles. Foxtel Play customers will also be able to watch on the move with the Foxtel Go app.
News categories: Foxtel, Australia, Digital TV, OTT, Smart TV, Smartphone, Tablet
Viasat Nordic satellite subscriber base continues to decline
Feb 13, 2013 – Modern Times Group (MTG) [Stockholm: MTGA, MTGB] has announced results for the quarter ended 31 December 2012. Viasat's Nordic satellite subscriber base ended 2012 at 592,000, down from 603,000 at the end of the previous quarter and from 638,000 at the end of 2011.
News categories: Modern Times Group, Baltics, Finland, Norway, Personal Video Recorder, Results, Satellite, Subscribers, Sweden, Ukraine
Accedo and Viaplay launch media service for Xbox in Nordic region
Dec 20, 2012 – Accedo and Viaplay, the Nordic online streaming service, have announced the launch of Viaplay on Xbox in Sweden, Norway, Denmark and Finland. The new media app gives access to Viaplay's content offering through the games console.
News categories: Accedo, Viaplay, Xbox, Apps, Denmark, Digital TV, Finland, Games Console, Norway, OTT, Sweden
- Cisco in 30 million Pay TV homes in India
- HbbTV three-way partnership launches integrated toolbox for broadcasters at BCA
- VeriSilicon introduces Hantro G2 video decoder IP with HEVC and VP9 support
- The days of fast global pay TV revenue growth are over
- Verimatrix to provide security for NTT Plala's multiscreen offering
- Measat and Ericsson trial UHDTV satellite contribution
- Tvingo Telecom reaches 30,000 IPTV subscribers
- Telenet launches 'TV with a card' CI+ option
- Vectra launches new HD set-top box from Motorola
- Sigma Designs reports first quarter fiscal 2014 results
- Huawei widens lead in broadband CPE market
- Astro Malaysia adds 40k pay TV subscribers in quarter to end-April
- Minerva secures RDK licence from Comcast
- Amino and Intracom to provide IPTV entertainment solution to South Eastern European operator
- One billion pay TV subscribers by 2018
- Brazil to move final analogue switchover to 2018
- Comcast introduces X2 Xfinity platform
- Time Warner Cable to bring content to Samsung Smart TVs without a Set Top Box
- Simple.TV adds Rovi Entertainment Store
- 115 million U.S. and Canadian pay TV subscribers to have access to multiscreen services by 2016