Digital TV News: Broadcom
Gartner says worldwide semiconductor revenue grew 5.2 percent in 2013
Dec 4, 2013 – Worldwide semiconductor revenue totaled $315.4 billion in 2013, a 5.2 percent increase from 2012 revenue of $299.9 billion, according to preliminary results by Gartner.
News categories: Gartner, Andrew Norwood, Market Research, Semiconductor
Semiconductor sales recover in 2013
Dec 3, 2013 – Following a 2.5 percent decline in 2012, the global semiconductor market has regained its footing in 2013 with revenue set to expand by nearly 5 percent because of the strong performance of the memory sector.
News categories: IHS Inc, Dale Ford, Market Research, Semiconductor
Altech Multimedia and 'yes' Israel extend partnership
Nov 13, 2013 – Altech Multimedia and DBS Satellite Services ('YES') have signed an agreement for the provision of a new generation of set-top boxes to the Israeli satellite pay-TV provider. The set-top boxes are based Broadcom chipsets.
News categories: Altech Multimedia, 'yes', Ron Eilon, Bartolomeo Caputo, Digital TV, Israel, Satellite, Set Top Box
Broadcom plans workforce reduction of up to 1,150 employees
Oct 22, 2013 – Broadcom (NASDAQ: BRCM) has reported results for its third quarter ended September 30, 2013. During the quarter Broadcom initiated a global restructuring plan. The plan includes a workforce reduction of up to 1,150 employees (some of whom originated from the Renesas acquisition).
News categories: Broadcom, Scott McGregor, Cable TV, Results, Satellite, Semiconductor, Set Top Box
Astro selects Pace to supply next generation Wireless HD PVR
Sep 15, 2013 – Pace (LSE:PIC) has announced that it has been selected by Malaysian Pay TV provider, Astro, to supply its next generation wireless HD PVR. Astro will begin installing Pace's next generation HD PVR next month.
News categories: Pace plc, Astro, Kong Futt Fong, Laurie Knight, Digital TV, Malaysia, Personal Video Recorder, Satellite, Semiconductor, Set Top Box, Wireless
Worldwide total semiconductor market to grow 3% in 2013
Sep 12, 2013 – According to ABI Research, the worldwide semiconductor market is expected to grow 3% from 2012 to 2013. There has been sequential market growth from 1Q13 to 2Q13 and the vast majority of the top 20 vendors are expecting 3Q13 to grow revenues again.
News categories: ABI Research, Peter Cooney, Market Research, Semiconductor
Broadcom advances Direct Broadcast Satellite chips at IBC
Sep 12, 2013 – Broadcom (NASDAQ: BRCM) has announced two DBS systems-on-a-chip. Engineered with DVB-S2 technology and integrated Full Band Capture, the BCM4548 is for home gateways and BCM4562 is for headless SAT>IP applications.
News categories: Broadcom, Rich Nelson, Digital TV, DVB-S2, IBCShow, ICs, Satellite, Semiconductor, Set Top Box
Broadcom introduces HEVC Ultra HD chipsets at IBC 2013
Sep 12, 2013 – Broadcom (NASDAQ: BRCM) has announced chipsets that enable operators and OEMs to introduce Ultra HD subscriber hardware and content. The set-top box (STB) devices for satellite, cable and IP integrate support for the HEVC standard, H.265.
News categories: Broadcom, Rich Nelson, Cable TV, Digital TV, IBCShow, ICs, IPTV, Satellite, Semiconductor, Set Top Box
- ALi partners with LG and Shenzhen Jiuzhou on ATSC STB for Mexico
- Over 200 million connected TVs and attached content devices expected in U.S. homes by 2015
- Ecuador adds 108,000 pay TV subscribers in 3Q 2013
- ViXS begins shipments of industry's first SoC to support Ultra HD 4K and 10-bit HEVC
- France Télévisions develops FranceTV Pluzz multiscreen offer with Anevia
- Spain's rate of pay TV subscriber loss slows to 31,000 in 3Q 2013
- Peregrine ships RF switch for TVs, Set-Top Boxes and DVRs
- Alticast to premiere HDMI stick set-top box at CES2014
- Egatel provides transmitters for Chile's first DTT transmissions
- FiOS TV app now available on Xbox One
- Clearleap and Accedo partner to provide seamless and scalable multiscreen solutions
- 3.2 million pay TV subscribers in Ukraine's 33 largest cities
- Canal Digital Kabel launches on demand services powered by Espial
- Mediaset launches Infinity OTT on Tivùon! platform with Intertrust DRM
- Channel Master introduces DVR+ hybrid PVR for US DTT
- Hrvatski Telekom deploys SmarDTV SmarCAM-3.5 CI Plus modules
- Siano launches advanced receiver chip for DVB-T2
- Connected TV device ownership to double by 2017
- Silicon Image introduces MHL 3.0 4K Ultra HD solution for mobile devices
- ALi secure STB chipset receives NOCS certification from NAGRA