Broadcom Crystal HD Solution Brings High Definition Video to NetbooksMonday, December 21st, 2009
Technology Gives Consumers One of the Best Low Power Multimedia Playback Experiences Available on a Netbook
IRVINE, Calif. — Broadcom Corporation (Nasdaq: BRCM), a global leader in semiconductors for wired and wireless communications, today announced its next-generation Crystal HD solution that provides consumers with the most advanced, low cost, low power, high definition (HD) video playback available on a netbook. Providing access to personal offline video and quality online HD content, such as user-generated videos, streaming movies, and online television and HD news, from a low cost, low power netbook can present a technology challenge for manufacturers. The new Broadcom® BCM70015 single chip Crystal HD enhanced media accelerator solution breaks down these netbook cost and power barriers to provide an exceptional HD video experience.
- Broadcom Crystal HD technology gives netbook users a rich multimedia experience by providing cost-effective, quality playback of HD video.
- Broadcom’s BCM70015 single chip Crystal HD solution provides manufacturers with a highly integrated low power, low cost solution that addresses one of the key performance challenges on netbook platforms: quality playback of online streaming HD video.
- The BCM70015 single chip high-definition advanced media processor also:
- Provides software support for Adobe® Flash® Player (v10.1), Windows Media® Player (v12), as well as support for other third-party media players including both commercial and open-source.
- Leverages Broadcom’s proven set-top box (STB) and consumer media player technologies to provide one of the industry’s best HD media playback experiences on low cost netbooks.
- Is targeted for PC/x86 applications that include the playback of streaming video, Blu-ray Disc®, file-based content and broadcast (and other TV sources).
- Is perfect for low cost netbooks, but is also designed for use in notebooks as well as small form factor (SFF) and slim desktops.
- Supports standard definition (SD) and HD multi-format video decode of industry standard codecs (H.264/AVC, MPEG-2, VC-1, WMV9, MPEG-4, DivX®, Xvid and AVS), enabling users to enjoy a mobile media experience with no frame drops or jitter, even under a heavy CPU load.
- Is optimized for motherboard designs and is also available in the PCI Express mini-card module format.