NDS and Maxian Partner to Deliver Premium Content to Portable Media PlayersTuesday, September 4th, 2007
- NDS and Maxian present the first pay-TV enabled Portable Media Player (PMP) based on VideoGuard PMP™ technology
- VideoGuard PMP is the first open standard, hardware-based content protection for Portable Media Players
- VideoGuard PMP introduces a new level of consumer simplicity and ease of use allowing consumers to copy TV episodes and movies directly from the STB to PMP using their remote control
- A comprehensive solution for pay-TV operators to extend their services to PMPs supporting flexible business models such as subscription, content rentals and purchase
- NDS and Maxian will jointly demonstrate a working solution at IBC 2007 that shows how consumers can easily transfer protected content and enjoy it any time, anywhere
LONDON, UK – IBC Stand 1.171 — NDS, the leading provider of technology solutions for digital pay-TV, today announced that it has integrated its VideoGuard PMP content protection technology into Maxian’s next generation Portable Media Players, enabling the secure delivery of broadcast-quality video content to portable devices.
Pay-TV operators can extend their service beyond the living room by allowing subscribers to enjoy the same high quality TV shows and movies on their PMPs as they do via their TV sets, anywhere, anytime. With VideoGuard PMP consumers can realize the following benefits:
- Select the latest action movie, tag a TV series or unwatched game and automatically transfer to the PMP using just the STB remote control
- Simply transfer content over a fast USB 2.0 link or download directly using WiFi connectivity
- Enjoy new content packages available as part of their subscription or for payment via STB, PC and direct download
Nigel Smith, NDS’ Chief Marketing Officer, said, “This partnership with Maxian gives consumers the first easy-to-use PMP products that connect directly with a pay-TV content service to provide legal downloads of movies, sports and TV shows. The integration of the PMP into the pay-TV service significantly extends the choices that the pay-TV operator can provide – generating extra revenues through new business models and also achieving higher subscriber retention by offering a service to consumers on their terms, regardless the time, location or device.”
Han-hong Choi, Maxian’s Vice President of Marketing, remarked, “We are very happy to be working with NDS on this exciting project, which gives our customers new and attractive solutions for acquiring content.” He added, “Maxian devices powered with VideoGuard PMP can now securely connect in multiple ways to receive premium video content, creating additional revenue channels and business models, thanks to a robust security platform which has already been approved by the major studios.”
VideoGuard PMP is based on the Secure Video Processor (SVP) specification and can work on multiple pay-TV networks. This is the first retail product that can connect directly to the pay-TV network and acquire content securely.