CEVA Unveils Programmable HD Video and Image Processing Platform for Connected Multimedia DevicesMonday, February 15th, 2010
CEVA-MM3000™, fully software programmable, low-power platform utilizes scalable, configurable multi-core architecture to support advanced video codecs and image signal processing for portable multimedia and home entertainment devices
BARCELONA, Spain — Mobile World Congress – CEVA Inc, (Nasdaq: CEVA; LSE: CVA), a leading licensor of silicon intellectual property (SIP) platform solutions and DSP cores, today unveiled CEVA-MM3000™, a fully programmable, HD video and imaging platform specifically designed for the connected generation of portable multimedia and home entertainment devices. CEVA will demonstrate the CEVA-MM3000 platform at Mobile World Congress, February 15-18 in Barcelona, Spain.
Based on a heterogeneous, scalable multi-core architecture, this low-power, platform delivers full-HD, 1080p video decode and encode at up to 60 frames per second (fps), supporting advanced video standards, including H.264, VC1, Real Video, AVS, VP6/7/8, as well as future standards such as SVC (Scalable Video Codec) and MVC (Multi-view Video Codec, for 3D video). CEVA-MM3000 also readily supports both video and image pre/post processing algorithms such as scaling, stabilizer, and noise reduction in addition to many proprietary add-on applications, for example, augmented reality, gesture recognition and face detection. Crucially, these additional algorithms and proprietary applications enabled by CEVA-MM3000 allow designers to reach new levels in multimedia innovation and performance, while offloading and even eliminating engines normally required to handle these complex features in a multimedia SoC.
Multi-core Architecture Designed for Low Power, Ease of Programmability
Designed as a unified and coherent architecture, CEVA-MM3000 utilizes a heterogeneous, multi-core approach to address the extreme and diverse processing requirements of video and image signal processing. The core of the platform consists of two specialized processors, a Stream Processor and a Vector Processor, combined into a complete multi-core system, including local and shared memories, peripherals, DMA and standard bridges to external busses. This comprehensive multi-core platform was designed specifically to meet low-power requirements for mobile devices. For example, an H.264 HP decoding at 1080p 30fps requires as low as 150mW in a 40nm process.
The Stream Processor is responsible for bit stream coding, bit stream manipulation, and control code execution, while the Vector Processor performs filtering and vector type operations typical for pixel processing. Both the Stream and the Vector processors are designed for ease of programmability, and are supported by an optimizing C-compiler and application profiler. A set of pre-optimized video kernels for both processors is available to licensees, enabling the flexibility to combine efficient low-level code with rapid C-level development.
“Consumers’ appetite for higher video quality and enhanced functionality is seemingly insatiable. CEVA-MM3000 is a flexible, scalable and robust software-based platform capable of addressing these requirements in consumer devices. Uniquely, it contradicts conventional wisdom that implementing a video engine supporting 1080p requires a hardware design,” said Joseph Byrne, analyst at The Linley Group and author of ‘A Guide to CPU Cores and Processor IP’. “The programmable nature of the architecture allows it to efficiently support not just video standards but also enable customer-proprietary post-processing algorithms and next-generation features like object recognition.”
“The advent of 4G wireless and the dawn of the connected home will profoundly change the way we access and view our multimedia content,” said Gideon Wertheizer, CEO of CEVA. “1080p High Definition is becoming a de facto standard in every type of multimedia-enabled device along with the requirement to support a growing number of video codecs. CEVA-MM3000’s high-performance, multi-core scalable architecture delivers the performance and flexibility to address these precise requirements in a software-based, low-power and cost-effective platform for any connected multimedia device. In addition, the unique video and image pre/post processing algorithm support enables our licensees to truly differentiate their video processor designs with proprietary features and functions.”
Scalability and Programmability Enable Vast Array of Optimized Applications
To efficiently meet the precise requirements of a wide range of portable multimedia and home entertainment applications, CEVA-MM3000 utilizes a scalable and heterogeneous architecture. The number of Stream and Vector Processors in addition to the type and size of the memories can be configured to address each specific use-case. This scalability enables CEVA-MM3000 to deliver the optimal balance of power and performance for full-HD requirements in Smartphones, PMPs, Tablets and other mobile devices, through to Blu-ray DVD players, HDTVs, game consoles and multi-stream devices.
As a fully programmable engine, CEVA-M3000 readily supports any codec or other video-processing software. This programmability enables SoC designers to quickly adopt new video standards through software upgrades, requiring no changes to the hardware, and also easily develop proprietary video and imaging applications, including pre- and post-processing and video analytics. The resulting flexibility extends product life-cycle, enables design re-use and allows customers to differentiate their product offering with non-standard imaging or proprietary algorithms.
CEVA-MM3000 Key Features
- Industry’s Highest Performance HD Video and Image Processing Platform for Connected Devices
- Built to support most advanced video codecs and profiles, including H.264, VC1, Real Video, AVS, VP6/7/8, up to 1080p 60fps
- Architecture ready for future standards including MVC (3DV), SVC and H.265
- Encoding of H.264 HP at 1080p using the same platform
- Heterogeneous, Multi-core Architecture Optimized for Video and Image Signal Processing
- Stream Processor – Responsible for bit stream coding, bit stream manipulation, and control code execution
- Vector Processor – Deep SIMD processor for parallel filtering and pixel processing
- Scalable & Configurable
- Same architecture scaling from 720p to 1080p 60fps, from 6Mbps to 50Mbps
- Number and type of vector processors and stream processors is scalable
- Configurable memory size depending on the required performance
- Supports decoding of multiple streams, transcoding and video conferencing
- Multipurpose Platform, Supporting Various Video/Image Processing Needs
- Supports pre/post processing algorithms such as scaling, mirror, white balance, noise removal and DRC
- Supports Intelligent Video Processing including augmented reality, gesture recognition, face and object recognition
- Integrated software development tools
- Including compilers, multi-core debugger, simulators for each core and for the entire system
- Rich library of pre-optimized video kernels and filters
- Easily upgradeable to support any codec / profile software from CEVA / third parties / customers developments
Development Tools and Support
As with all CEVA DSP cores and platform solutions, CEVA-MM3000 is supported by a robust Software Development Toolkit that includes optimizing C-compilers, IDE, debugger, simulators and profiler. The user-friendly IDE helps developers implement, debug, optimize and run code on the CEVA-MM3000. To aid Vector Processor optimization, the IDE provides a view into to all core and memory resources. The IDE also includes a multi-core debugger GUI which provides visibility across the Stream and Vector Processors. In addition to helping locate software flaws, this debugger aids performance analysis and optimization. CEVA also offers an optimized library of video kernels, to allow licensees quick and easy application development.
At Mobile World Congress, February 15-18 in Barcelona Spain, CEVA will demonstrate the CEVA-MM3000 platform. CEVA’s booth is located at 1G45, in Hall 1.
CEVA-MM3000 is currently available for licensing to lead customers only. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- SoftAtHome implements Alexa voice control software for etisalat by e&
- Arabsat Badr-8 satellite successfully launched
- Streaming TV growth in Latin America driven by ad-supported viewing
- STARZ domestic OTT subscribers up 700,000 in 1Q 2023
- New DIRECTV STREAM customers get priority access to Telly waiting list
- Insys Video Technologies simplifies video streaming with Bitmovin