Nagravision and G&D Introduce World's First Fully Operational and End-to-End Solution based on MicroSD/SD Card with Embedded Security for Mobile TV Services and Mass StorageFriday, September 7th, 2007
- Nagravision and Giesecke & Devrient (G&D) team to revolutionize the mobile TV sector
- “My Mobile TV Card” is the world’s first fully functional and integrated microSD/SD card with embedded security for mobile TV services and mass storage running on the commercially available portable TV media player from Quantum
- Innovative solution allows operators to provide even more revenue-generation services while offering a card that bridges mobile phones and unconnected devices
- The easy-to-use memory card provides full portability for both live access and recorded content
Cheseaux, Switzerland and Munich, Germany — Nagravision, a Kudelski Group (SWX:KUD) company and the world’s leading independent provider of value-added content and service protection solutions, and Giesecke & Devrient (G&D), a leading provider of smart card-based solutions and technologies, have joined forces to revolutionize the mobile TV sector and today introduce the world’s first fully functional and integrated microSD/SD card with embedded security featuring the Nagra Mobile TV security solution. The “My Mobile TV Card” enables operators to offer considerably more revenue-generating services including personal video recorder (PVR), impulse pay-per-view (IPPV) and push video-on-demand (VOD).
Ensuring secure storage and administrating the user’s rights, while enabling standard mass storage, offers consumers a bridge between their mobile phones and their “unconnected devices” such as personal navigation devices and portable media players. The easy-to-use memory card provides full portability for both live access and recorded content. This innovative approach for bridging unconnected devices targets an emerging and promising segment of the market.
With the advent of this new card for mobile TV security, Nagravision and G&D are bringing benefits to operators that include
- supporting full portability for both live access and recorded content (PVR),
- creating a bridge between handset and non-voice handheld device,
- providing removability and upgradability for security,
- better marketing with visibility of the operator’s brand, and
- a better user experience overall, which positively affects the average revenue per user (ARPU) and reduces churn.
“Nagravision is once again delivering a value-added product based on its vision of secure solutions for the convergence of entertainment media. Combining a Nagra security solution with a user friendly form factor that’s been already deployed and adopted by consumers provides an excellent user experience in the Mobile TV market,” said Adrienne Corboud, Executive VP of Business Development at Kudelski Group.
“Smart card technology ensures the highest security for mobile pay-TV systems. With our mobile TV card we developed an innovative solution for conditional access systems on the basis of our comprehensive smart card and security know-how. The “My Mobile TV Card” is an ideal platform for secure content storage and user rights management not only for broadcast network operators, but also for content providers,” commented Marcus Rosin, Group Vice President at G&D’s division New Business.
“By integrating forefront technologies from leading partners into our products we can provide our customers with the most advanced solutions for their personal entertainment. Doing so is in Quantum’s chromosomes and we enthusiastically support our partners by turning their technological innovations into working products,” said Stefano Martini, CEO at Quantum.
The Nagravision solution based on G&D’s mobile TV card will be unveiled at the IBC2007 trade show from September 7 – 11, 2007 on the Nagravision stand 1.461 and IP 154 in the Mobile Zone. A demonstration features the card working in a Quantum QTM1000 portable TV media player.