TV Tuner Transition from 'Cans' to Silicon Enables $500 Million OpportunityFriday, June 18th, 2010
SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — Although traditional “can” type TV tuners are still the mainstream approach being used for high-volume television sets, the next-generation of ultra-slim TVs will need compact Silicon Tuners to enable thinner circuit boards, reports In-Stat. Smaller-screen TVs that need to add digital reception capabilities will also benefit from smaller, less power-hungry Silicon Tuners.
“During this decade, the global market for TV Tuners will make an epochal transition from traditional “can” type TV Tuners to all solid state Silicon Tuners” says Gerry Kaufhold, In-Stat analyst. “The Silicon Tuner “contenders” have already displaced the “can” tuners in most Satellite TV and Cable TV set-top boxes, and in Personal Video Recorder (PVR) end-products.” An overview of In-Stat’s market findings include:
- The worldwide silicon tuner market will top US$ 500 Million by 2014
- Western European Shipments of silicon tuners in TV sets will exceed 16 million units in 2014.
- Asia Pacific shipments of silicon TV tuners in Set top boxes will more than triple between 2010 and 2014.
- Silicon Tuners create “pull through” for Systems-on Chips (SoCs) that include demodulators, video decoders and graphics capabilities
- Can-type Tuners will gradually lose market share to Silicon Tuners through 2014
Recent In-Stat research: World Silicon TV Tuner Forecast in Six Regions (IN1004693MMT) provides a detailed worldwide forecast by region for the number of Silicon TV Tuners and Satellite Silicon Tuners to be shipped, along with forecasts of prices and the annual dollar value for Silicon Tuners used in line-powered equipment. Included in this report are:
- Estimates and forecasts of unit shipments, prices and revenue of Silicon TV Tuners used in Set Top Boxes, such as Cable TV, Digital Terrestrial, Satellite TV and Personal Recording Devices
- Estimates and forecasts of unit shipments, prices and revenue of Silicon TV Tuners used in Integrated Digital TV (iDTV) sets
- Estimates and forecasts of unit shipments, prices and revenue of Satellite Silicon Tuners
- Regional break outs for SIX geographic regions, including North America, Latin America, Western and Eastern Europe, Middle East and Africa, and Asia Pacific
- In-depth discussion of technology and market issues affecting the growth of the Silicon Tuner Market
- Profiles of key Silicon Tuner vendors, including NXP, Trident Micro, Microtune, Maxlinear, Fresco Microchip, ESS Technology, Elonics, Broadcom, STMicroelectronics, Silicon Labs, Texas Instruments, ANADIGICS, Abilis Systems and Xceive.
For a free sample of the report and more information, please contact Elaine Potter at: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 480-483-4441.