Free adds 4 channels and 2 VOD services in 3DThursday, September 30th, 2010
3D TV: 4 channels and 2 VOD services exclusive to Free
PARIS — Iliad subsidiary Free announces the introduction of 4 new channels and 2 new video on demand services (VOD), exclusive to Free, broadcast in 3D via ADSL and fibre optic (FTTH)
Free is the first operator in France to broadcast genuine 3D channels.
Free provides its subscribers with access to a wide range of 3D content: movies, series, concerts and documentaries. This content is available in 3D High Definition (3D HD) and is broadcast 24/7. Two 3D channels are included in the basic package.
NRJ12 3D can be accessed as of today and will be followed in October by WildearthTV 3D and Brava 3D thereafter. The Penthouse 3D channel will be launched in 2011. On-demand 3D services of FHV and Marc Dorcel will open by the end of the year.
These 3D channels and VOD services will be available to Free and Alice subscribers equipped with a HD TV box, which provides access to 3D without requiring any specific upgrade.
Free strengthens the technological advance of the Freebox and meets its subscribers’ demand for greater freedom of access to top quality TV.
Free thus confirms its IP TV leadership in France with this new service, by providing:
- the most extensive TV offering, with access to more than 400 channels, 170 of which are included in the basic package,
- the most extensive high definition TV offering, with 28 HD channels, 15 of which are included in the basic package,
- the largest catch-up TV platform with Freebox Replay,
- 12 VOD platforms,
- and now the largest number of 3D channels and VOD services.
TV offer available subject to phone line eligibility. Channels accessible to subscribers to a Freebox or Alicebox package, subject to being equipped with the latest generation of HD TV unscramblers, benefiting from sufficient speed and 3D compatible audiovisual equipment (TV set and glasses) and connecting the TV to the unscrambler with an HDMI cable (High Definition Multimedia Interface). Basic channels:
included in the Freebox and Alicebox triple-play offers.
- Bitmovin and MainStreaming partner to deliver broadcast-quality video streams
- New products and more countries for Amazon-built TV range
- Pay TV subscribers in Eastern Europe to fall to 73 million in 2028
- VIZIO selects Whip Media for WatchFree+ ad revenue reporting
- Qwilt partners with Telefónica to provide CDN services in Spain
- Ateme launches 'audience-aware' streaming solution