ViXS® Announces Quad Transcoding with MoCA2.0 for DOCSIS Media GatewaysFriday, March 9th, 2012
ViXS XCode® 5100 family, the first commercially shipping, quad stream HD transcoder and XConnex™ 1030 enable converged DOCSIS Media Gateway applications
TORONTO, Canada — ViXS Systems Inc. announces today two System on Chip (SoC) solutions enabling DOCSIS media gateways – the XCode 5191, a quad HD to HD transcoder, in production today, and the XConnex 1030 MoCA2.0 solution, general sampling in Q2 2012. Both devices are cost optimized to be used in DOCSIS media gateway platforms.
As cable operators near completion of the roll-out of DOCSIS3.0 infrastructure, DOCSIS media gateways allow operators to take advantage of the high downstream bandwidth to deliver IP Video over DOCSIS to subscriber homes. With the rapid adoption of tablets, smart phones and other mobile platforms, consumers are demanding content on any device with a capable display, over any home network or outside the home. The demand for anytime, anywhere entertainment is leading to an explosive growth in the number of client devices in the subscriber home, and dramatically altering the consumer viewing experience. The XCode and XConnex families provide the transcoding and MoCA technologies to address these trends in DOCSIS media gateways.
The XCode 5100 family presents a powerful solution for quad transcoding functionality within DOCSIS media gateways. It is bolstered by the deployed and robust ViXS Xtensiv™ software including Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA®), and transcryption capabilities, and by the unique applications hosting capabilities found in the XCode 5191. Integrated with and running on the XCode SOC is the Apple® content streaming protocol software called HTTP-Live server or HLS to support Apple iPad® devices. ViXS transcoding at low bit rates ensures excellent video quality on iPAD® / tablets, PCs and smart phones even in a bandwidth constrained home network. XCode5191 also integrates dual Gigabit Ethernet interface providing seamless connection to DOCSIS3.0 modem SoCs. All of this enables an optimal system architecture for delivery of IP video and seamless integration of video, voice, data, and Conditional Access (CA) and Digital Rights Management (DRM) in a DOCSIS media gateway.
“The XCode 5100 family, deployed with pioneering patented and proprietary technology, has truly set a new standard with its ability to process multiple high definition streams, and to do multiple concurrent operations on each of those streams”, said David Jones, VP Marketing & Business Development at ViXS. “XCode 5100 family combined with XConnex MoCA products provide the ideal platform for manufacturers designing converged DOCSIS modem / gateway applications.”
ViXS XConnex 1030 MoCA® 2.0 SOC delivers 400+ Mbps data throughput over 16 nodes enabling distribution of multiple HD streams within the home. XConnex 1030 also supports 500 Mbps of throughput for two node Turbo mode with full backward interoperability to MoCA 1.1 devices and the ViXS XConnex 1020 and 1025 devices. XConnex 1030 supports MoCA 2.0 power modes and advanced security features. XConnex 1030 paired with ViXS’ XConnex 1000 MoCA 2.0 RF Transceiver with integrated LNA, Power Amplifier (PA) and Transmit/Receive (T/R) switch provides a robust high performance end-to-end MoCA 2.0 solution.
Some of the features for XCode 5191 include:
- High level of concurrency allowing customers to enable whole home DVR; place-shifting; and content consumption on iPAD and other tablet devices.
- Multi stream Real-time HD to HD transcoding and mirror transcoding, trans-wrapping, and transcryption of up to quad HD streams to serve multiple Internet Protocol (IP) based devices within the home.
- Faster than real-time transcoding of stored content allowing the user to stream content from one source to another in a fraction of the time it takes to play this back real time from the stored media.
- Ultra low latency for wireless and streaming applications within the home.
- Advanced security processor architecture to enable security for leading digital rights management providers (DRM), Conditional Access providers (CA), and leading broadcast operators.
- Supports concurrent 1080p60 encoding and transcoding.
- Incorporates face detection algorithms for Video Conferencing & Surveillance applications
- ViXS patented VQoS (video quality of service) implementation for maintaining video quality in bandwidth constrained networks.
- Dedicated TCP/IP Processor Engine supporting Dual Gigabit Ethernet for high network performance.
- Extensive peripheral suite including PCI-Express, multiple Serial ATA and USB peripherals.
- ViXS Xtensiv™Software Stack which allows customers faster time-to-market and greatly reduces required engineering resources.
- 40 nanometer process node in flip chip technology.