Motorola Releases Latest Enhancements to its KreaTV™ OS for IPTV & Hybrid Set-topsWednesday, May 16th, 2012
LINKOPING, Sweden — Motorola Mobility, Inc. (NYSE:MMI) continues to drive the future of TV by enabling enjoyable, simple and intuitive entertainment experiences. To address the challenges faced by IPTV service providers looking to be more agile in the market with enhanced functionality and improved user experiences, Motorola Mobility has just released the latest version of its ultimate open operating system for IP set-tops – Motorola KreaTV™ version 4.4.
KreaTV’s flexibility enables service providers to easily add new functionality and services, allowing the system to grow according to network operator business needs and upcoming customer demands. At the same time, the hardware abstraction layer simplifies integration with specific hardware, making it easier to upgrade to new hardware in the future. Motorola’s approach to reducing time to deployment of new features has driven the popularity of KreaTV amongst IPTV software developers and the KreaTV ecosystem is a key contributor to Motorola’s leadership position in the global IPTV set-top market1.
Some of the new features available in KreaTV 4.4 include:
- Web browsing, as well as HTTP Live Streaming, including support for Motorola’s SecureMedia HLS+ content encryption, enabling service providers to expand their footprint with over-the-top (OTT) services. This allows the same hardware to be used in an IPTV as well as OTT environment.
- USB time-shift: Enables Operators to add new time-shift features such as pause live TV to the set-top, using a USB memory stick as storage, so simple for consumer’s to install.
- Retransmission and fast Channel change, based on IETF (Internet Engineering Task Force) standards: These capabilities improve the user experience, as channel changes are quicker and there is less video degradation in the event of packet loss, making services over longer xDSL connections possible.
- Expanded support for IETF TR-069 (basics and statistics), TR-135 and TR-106 standards: Operators can remotely monitor and manage set-tops, using management tools such as Motorola EDGE Manager, improving service levels to consumers and reducing customer support costs.
- Whole home digital video recording (DVR): Users can share the content from the DVR hard disk on the master set-top with other set-tops around the home.
These new features compliment an already robust and powerful KreaTV platform that includes a webkit browser based on HTML5, picture in picture support and scalable vector graphics (SVG) used by many service providers and middleware companies for fast user interface and graphics support in high definition quality.
“Over 100 operators worldwide offer IPTV services to their customers using our flexible and cost efficient open IPTV operating system. With these latest enhancements to KreaTV we’re driving the evolution of TV and making it easier and more intuitive for consumers to enjoy more of the content they want,” said Keith Kelley, vice president, home devices, Motorola Mobility.
Motorola KreaTV version 4.4 is now available for operator trials and is expected to be released for general availability in the second half of 2012.