ViXS and ProVision Develop Wi-Fi enabled thin-client STB reference designThursday, September 6th, 2012
ViXS™ and Global Invacom’s Provision Unit Jointly Develop a new class of Wi-Fi enabled, low-cost Internet Protocol (IP thin client Set Top Box) offering superior range and performance
- Design is able to receive content through Wi-Fi or Wired IP connections using standard chipsets with low system power consumption
TORONTO — ViXS Systems Inc. today announces a new reference design platform offering superior wireless performance and extended range, and delivering high quality decode, display, and advanced graphics, while ensuring low power consumption and low cost. The platform, based on ViXS’ XCode® 4205 client System on Chip (SOC), leverages Global Invacom’s proprietary low-cost antennae and unique WiFi software. The combination transforms the Client into a highly cost-effective and efficient IP STB that can also be incorporated in a Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA®) capable home network as a Digital Media Player (DMP) device.
The XCode 4205 SoC offers high throughput networking performance, 2D and 3D graphics, 3D TV, motion adaptive de-interlacing and scaling for full HD up to 1080P50/60 resolution. Global Invacom’s Provision Unit, which has spent years collaborating with researchers at the University of Bristol in the UK, has developed proprietary WiFi antenna designs that extend performance and range. Provision has also developed control software and drivers to deliver an outstanding and robust user experience while using standard low-cost wireless chipsets. Designed and developed by Provision Communications, the complete IP STB hardware is available for purchase through Global Invacom.
“Content mobility is a technology driver in the industry and is required by leading operators in order for their customers to access their content anywhere, anyway, anytime and on any device,” said Sally Daub, President and CEO, ViXS Systems Inc. “Our work with Provision extends our technology in to the wireless market by enabling customers to quickly deploy low-cost, portable wireless-enabled IP Client based STBs that deliver premium viewing experience”.
“Consumers want an easy-to-use and low-cost application to view and use their HD media at multiple locations on multiple devices anytime, anywhere. This product is a significant step towards making that a reality,” said Tony Taylor, Chairman and CEO of Global Invacom Group Limited. “Being deeply involved in developing leading-edge satellite reception and transmission components and in home distribution of content, we have a long history in wireless RF technology. We intend to use this expertise and experience to activate streaming content around the home, office, bar, hotel and club seamlessly.”
The XCode 4205 addresses client applications with the following features and supported software solutions:
- Low Power operation targeting small form factor design meeting industry power targets.
- Supports Open GL ES 2.0 3D graphics that ensure a high quality user experience to match that of server class products currently being deployed.
- High Quality and fully featured decoding engine for premium viewing.
- Advanced hardware security technology supporting the latest conditional access and digital rights management specifications.
- Highest level of networking throughput in its class.
- ViXS Xtensiv™ software suite including internally developed software to take customer solutions through Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA®) certification.