FPT Telecom awarded pay TV licence in VietnamThursday, August 8th, 2013
FPT Telecom provides pay-TV services
On August 6, the Ministry of Information and Communications officially granted licenses to FPT telecom Joint Stock Company (FPT Telecom) for providing pay TV services.
FPT Telecom officially runs in the pay-TV sector.
Accordingly, the firm will be allowed to offer analogue cable TV services across Vietnam, except in major cities including Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, Hai Phong, Da Nang, Can Tho, Khanh Hoa, Lam Dong and Dak Lak while digital cable TV services will be permitted to provide nationwide.
Before its operation in this field, FPT Telecom was ever the first company in Vietnam to launch interactive TV services – OneTV.
As shown by the up-to-2020 planning on radio and television wave transmission and broadcasting approved by the Prime Minister in 2009, digital technology will have been fully applied in this sector by 2020. The TV digitization will lead to shift from broadcast to pay TV.
Currently, Vietnam has about 40 pay-TV service providers including some giants such as VTV, SCTV, Viettel, AVG, VTC etc.
- Breezeline Stream TV launches in Pennsylvania
- SES-18 and SES-19 C-band satellites for the U.S. successfully launched
- OTT TV revenues in Western Europe to reach $45 billion by 2028
- DVB publishes updated Multicast ABR specification and guidelines
- Channel 4 adds Xandr to its digital ad-buying suite
- Mola boosts ABR streaming quality with Broadpeak